Bright Star Schools
This is the 23-24 Calculus Teacher Application for Valor Academy High School, a 9th-12th grade high school located in North Hills, Los Angeles.
2023-24 High School Teacher Job Description
Step 1: Submit Application
- Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis. All applications should be submitted via the “JOIN OUR TEAM” section at www.brightstarschools.org.
Completed application include:
- Three professional references
- At least two of the references listed must be a current or former supervisor.
- Two letters of recommendation
- We do not want letters of recommendation to prevent you from applying to our organization, so please
feel free to submit without these if you do not have any current letters of recommendation.
Step 2: On-Demand Video Interview
Step 3: Video Interview with Bright Star Schools’ Talent Team
Step 4: School Site Interview with School Site Leadership
- Selected applicants will be invited to an in-person interview at a specific site, and give a model lesson to students.
Job Description: High School Math Teacher
Reporting to: School Principal
Bright Star Schools is a free, publicly funded and open enrollment non-profit organization with nine public charters in urban Los Angeles. Across all of our Bright Star sites, over 90% of our students are eligible for free and reduced lunch.
Our mission is to provide holistic, inclusive support for all students to achieve academic excellence and grow their unique talents so that they find joy in higher education, career, and life. Bright Star students will become leaders who act with integrity and champion equity to enrich our communities and the world. The framework to our success is our core operating principles, which are Integridad, Ubuntu, Kohyang (고향), and Growth.
At Bright Star, we’re committed to our educators’ success. We provide over 260 hours of differentiated professional development each year and offer numerous leadership opportunities to support our teachers to become experts in their craft. We also offer small class sizes, comprehensive teacher support, and numerous collaboration opportunities across the organization and within school sites.
Educator applicants should be prepared to conduct classes virtually or in-person depending on COVID-19 health guidelines.
Bright Star Schools is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual
orientation, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, pregnancy, or veteran status.
Qualifications & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree
- Single Subject CA Mathematics Credential
- Candidates with an intern credential are also considered
- Two years of urban teaching experience preferred
- Bilingual in Spanish or Korean is desirable but not required
- Possession of either an English Learner Authorization (EL Authorization), Bilingual, Cross-Cultural, Language and Academic Development (BCLAD) certificate; Cross-Cultural, Language and Academic Development (CLAD) certificate; or Bilingual Certificate of Competence (BCC) required.
- Belief that every child deserves an excellent education which prepares him/her for college and life beyond
- Demonstrated ability to teach the whole child in an inclusive setting using modifications and accommodations
- Willingness to receive feedback, engage in frequent dialogue, and ability to self-reflect
- Life-long learner
- Firmly committed to ensuring that every student is able to achieve a rigorous expectations and curriculum
- Firmly committed to creating an anti-racist, anti-biased, and equitable classroom environment
- Belief in data-driven instruction
- Firm, kind approach to managing student behavior
- Technologically competent
- Entrepreneurial spirit and creative problem solver
- Sense of humor and love of teaching
Whole School Responsibilities
- Uphold Bright Star Schools’ mission and values
- Demonstrate genuine care for all students
- Build relationships with all students
- Embrace existing school-wide management systems and promote high standards of behavior
- Collaborate with school leaders, providing input to improve Bright Star programs
- Actively participate in professional development sessions
- Communicate professionally with peers, supervisors, parents, and students
- Adhere to Bright Star’s professional attire guidelines
- Supervise bathroom breaks and participate in rotating detention supervision
- Uphold attendance procedures each period using School Information Systems (SIS)
Enthusiastically participate in school-wide culture events (i.e., Songfest, academic assemblies, and Field Day)
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Implement and execute the adopted Bright Star curriculum maps and guidelines, as well as instructional best practices (educators should be prepared to conduct classes virtually or in-person depending on COVID-19 health guidelines)
- Create and submit weekly lesson plans/overviews to administrator/coach
- Use California State and/or California Common Core standards to plan rigorous lessons
- Differentiate lesson plans for a variety of learners (kinesthetic, gifted students, English Language Learners, and/or students with IEPs, etc.)
- Employ strategies to get to know and understand students and prioritize culturally responsive teaching
- Participate fully in weekly instructional coaching activities (including analysis of student learning, intellectual prep, observation debrief, etc.) and execute on next steps from the weekly coaching meeting. These meetings will be 45 minutes to an hour weekly with your matched coach.
- Implement feedback from administrator(s) regarding lesson plans and/or execution
- Establish and maintain positive classroom environment
- Implement an aligned instructional program to support students in meeting grade level, school, and district goals
- Support instruction with school-wide supplemental programs
- Maintain gradebooks and meet grading reporting deadlines
- Communicate with families regarding student academics and behavior
- Collaborate with Inclusive Education (Special Education) Team
- Use planning periods for the advancement of students’ instructional needs
- Tutor students in need of remediation
- Perform other adjunct duties
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (tendersglobal.net) you saw this job posting.