Action Against Hunger (Action Contre La Faim - ACF)
VOTRE ENVIRONNEMENT DE TRAVAIL
Since the Taliban takeover of Kabul on 15 August 2021, the overall security situation in the country has changed. According to the UN, conflict-related security incidents such as armed clashes, air-strikes and improvised explosive devices (IEDs) have decreased significantly. In this relation, certain elements of the security situation for the general population in Afghanistan have improved because fighting has ceased. Especially the rural areas are safer, and people can travel to districts that were deemed too dangerous or inaccessible for the past 15-20 years, as the security on the roads has improved due to the drop in IEDs. The overall security situation in the country remains relatively calm. Travelling by road was reported to have become safer in certain areas. It nevertheless remains an unsafe country with ongoing threats of terrorism, kidnapping and other forms of violence.
The Taliban asserted control over the entire country quickly and with relatively little opposition following the announcement of the US-led withdrawal of foreign forces. Humanitarian needs in Afghanistan have risen dramatically in the last nine months since the country’s power transition. By the second part of this year, 97 percent of the population is predicted to be living in poverty. Advocating for an immediate policy shift is crucial in order for political leaders to address the economic crisis and for Afghans to be able to meet their basics needs.
Action Against Hunger starting operations in Afghanistan in 1979 and opened the base in Kabul in 1995. This role is a unique opportunity to support a key department of AAH operations in Afghanistan. The mission as you can see is old but the context is new and is one of the most challenging and stimulating. You will have the opportunity to open the advocacy department and maybe manage a small team that is expected to grow in the coming months.
VOTRE POSTE ET VOS RESPONSABILITÉS
Under the supervision of the Country Director, you will act as an Advocacy and Policy focal point for the mission by:
- Providing direct support to the mission to develop positioning, strategic engagements, and identifying recommendations in line with mission objectives.
- Working with the programme and supporting the teams to build their capacity in advocacy.
- Ensuring that programmatic data and analysis is available for policy, advocacy and other related objectives.
- Developing and leading the implementation of ACF Afghan advocacy strategy and outputs, in line with ACF global and mission strategies.
You have a Masters’ degree in international relations, International Humanitarian Law, social sciences, politics, development studies, or similar field, with at least 3 years’ experience in advocacy. Experience in other fields than advocacy will be examined in the face of exposure to high-level stakeholders (governments, UN agencies, NGOs – at national level).
You also have:
- Strong and demonstrated expertise in humanitarian Advocacy and/or representation, negotiation and influence of aid policies at a high level (e.g., country director/tech coordinator profile with a track record of representation to donor and government for fundraising as well as in the field of policy-making).
- Good knowledge of the IHL, humanitarian principles, humanitarian system, transformative Agenda, issues impacting humanitarian action (COTER, integration, politicization, stabilization, state-building, etc.).
- Experience in using grant management, M&E information for advocacy.
- Demonstrated working experience in policy analysis, data collection, analysis and interpretation (both qualitative and quantitative data), writing and production of reports, policy briefs and publications
- A strategic and critical thinking
- Excellent writing skills and oral communication skills in English. Pashto / Dari and French are an asset.
VOS CONDITIONS D’EMPLOI
- 12 months fixed term contract under French (for internationals) or Afghan (for nationals) labor law
- Remuneration package and competitive benefits according to ACF policies.
ACF is committed to people with disabilities and actively fights against all forms of discrimination.
Apply for job
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (tendersglobal.net) you saw this job posting.