ASK Wellness Society
Job Title: AASH Tenant Support Worker
Reports To: Coordinator of Merritt Housing
Term: Temporary Full-Time (30 hours per week) January 1, 2023 up to March 31, 2023
Hours: Monday through Thursday 8:30am to 4:30pm with a ½ hour paid break
Wage Range: $24.74 up to $28.82 based on education and related experience.
The ASK Wellness Society is an Accredited, not-for-profit organization. Through the generous support of funders, we assist those who are marginalized and at-risk to strengthen the communities we serve (Kamloops, Merritt, and Penticton). We provide housing and support to those who are facing or at risk of homelessness and support those who may use substances, or who require mental health supports, harm reduction, or health education. Ultimately, we aim to provide the skills to re-enter the workforce.
What We Offer:
· Competitive benefits including but not limited to dental, vision, physiotherapy, massage, and fertility upon eligibility
· Municipal Pension Plan upon eligibility
· On-site training and development opportunities such as Violence Prevention, Cultural Awareness and 2SLGBTQ+ training
· A culture of equality, inclusion, and diversity including paid cultural sensitivity days
· Accidental death insurance and Wellness plan benefit
· Vacation entitlements for Part-Time and Full-Time employees
Effective November 1, 2021, the Society requires all employees to be fully vaccinated (as defined by Health Canada). Full
Purpose and Function: The Adult Addiction Supportive Housing (AASH) program provides recovery supports and housing to those individuals who have successfully gone through detox and wish further assistance to live a life of sobriety. The AASH Tenant Support Worker promotes and mentors healthy, independent life skills to program participants in order for them to achieve their goals to live independently in community. Service delivery is based on a client centered, non-judgmental perspective.
– Ensure each program participant has a personal Care/Wellness Plan, and that each is provided with support in maintaining clean and sober status through acquisition of knowledge and skills that enhance their ability to care for themselves and to promote better life choices.
– Assist with the development and delivery of life skills programming to promote independent living including providing crises intervention and/or referral to other community supports. This includes transporting clients to and from activities.
– Implement and create opportunities for community engagement/social activities, group facilitation, active listening skills/motivational interviewing.
– Ensure participants have valid ID, medical coverage, bus passes and PWD if necessary, and assisting with budgeting.
– Complete weekly meal plans and grocery shopping.
– Monitor emergencies that take place such as medical or mental health assistance and complete necessary incident reports.
– Work with the AASH team to engage with participants of the AASH program through meal programs.
– When necessary, be trained to be the first to respond to an overdose situation with on-the-spot overdose response and support and prepared to work calmly and together with your team, paramedics, and police in crisis situations.
– Work with your team to assist with meal service/preparation, and common area cleanliness.
– Ensure compliance with all ASK supportive standards, policies, and procedures.
– Other duties which may or may not be outlined in this job description.
– Maintain complete documentation, statistics, and records in files and on ShareVision database.
– Assist team with required verbal and written reports, case notes, letters, memoranda, and year end reports.
– Maintain files and documentation to the COA Standard.
– When requested, be a member of the COA’s Performance and Quality Improvement team in which you will encourage the organization to use data to identify areas of needed improvement and implement improvement plans in support of achieving performance targets, program goals, client satisfaction, and positive client outcomes.
Qualifications and Suitability:
– Bachelor of Social Work, Human Services Diploma, Support Worker/Care Aid Certificate, or an equivalent combination of education, training and/or lived experience.
– Strong ability to recognize and address difficult behaviors.
– Good communication, documentation, interpersonal and conflict management skills.
– Ability to work within a team-based environment involving multi-agency supports.
– Strong working knowledge of community resources.
– Understands and maintains professional boundaries.
– Valid driver’s license, safe driving record and reliable/appropriate transportation with business use coverage.
– VAT (Vulnerability Assessment Tool) training an asset.
– Must pass an acceptable criminal record check for the vulnerable sector.
– Occupational First Aid Level 1 required.
– Readiness to complete in-house online training within the first month of employment.
– Mental Health First Aid, ASIST, and Trauma Informed Practice an asset.
– As Program Participants are allowed to have pets, it is noted that this is a pet friendly environment.
How to apply: Please submit your application with a detailed cover letter and resume with the reference “AASH Tenant Support Worker”. You may also apply directly online at https://askwellness.ca/aash-tenant-support-worker/
Job Types: Full-time, Fixed term contract
Salary: $24.74-$28.82 per hour
- Casual dress
- Company events
- On-site parking
Flexible Language Requirement:
- French not required
- 8 hour shift
- No weekends
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Merritt, BC: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
- mental health knowledge: 1 year (preferred)
- Addictions knowledge: 1 year (preferred)
- Vaccination against Covid 19 (required)
Work Location: One location
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (tendersglobal.net) you saw this job posting.