Organization: UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
THIS IS A READVERTISEMENT – THOSE WHO HAVE APPLIED PREVIOUSLY NEED NOT REAPPLY
The United Nations Multi-Country Office for Malaysia, Singapore and Brunei Darussalam is located in Putrajaya, Malaysia and covers three independent countries.
The mandate of the United Nations is to support the three countries in its vision of achieving the 2030 Agenda, which charts a development path that balances economic growth with social inclusion and environmental sustainability, based on solid institutional foundations, conditions for peaceful societies and the realization of human rights. To this end, 169 targets further specify the ambitious 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to be achieved by 2030 and a comprehensive indicator framework has been developed to measure progress.
The Administration Associate oversees the services provided to the UN Common Premises in Putrajaya which is shared by 7 UN Agencies.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall guidance and supervision of the Chair/Focal Point of the Common Premises committee, the Administration Associate provides the overall management and execution of varied and inter-related upkeep and maintenance services to the UN Common Premises, ensuring high quality and accuracy of work. The Administration Associate promotes a client, quality and results-oriented approach.
The Administration Associate supervises and leads Common Premises support staff. H/She works in close collaboration with the UN Common Premises Committee, UNDP Operations team and other UN Agencies staff to resolve issues and ensure consistent service delivery.
1. Ensures implementation of operational strategies, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance of administrative activities with UN rules, regulations, policies and strategies;
- Preparation of administrative team results-oriented work plans;
- Elaboration of proposals and implementation of cost saving, recycling and reduction; strategies for the UN Common Premises as a whole, in consultation with office management/UN Common Premises Committee.
2. Ensures coordination of outsourced services, and support of effective and efficient office maintenance and upkeep, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Coordinates maintenance and upkeep of UN Common Premises including advising management on repairs and servicing of fixtures and equipment;
- Coordination of supplies required for maintenance of the building, in cooperation with UNDP Procurement Unit;
- Submission of information on administrative services provided for cost-recovery bills;
- Ensures effective supervision of maintenance and external vendors;
- Coordinates the security of the office premises in liaison with the security company providing guard services, in consultation with the UN Department of Safety and Security;
- Ensuring the optimum function of appliances and fixtures in the UN Common Premises;
- Liaison with building management on administrative matters and permits.
3. Ensures proper management of common facilities, assets and office premises, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Maintenance of common facilities to ensure integrated activities on common services;
- Preparation of annual budget and financial reporting;
- Proper planning and tracking of common services budget and of Agencies contributions to the common services account;
- Coordination of assets management, timely preparation and submission of periodic inventory reports, coordination of physical verification of inventory items, in consultation with UNDP Procurement Unit;
- Backstop IT Support to ensure continued IT services, as and when required.
4. Support and participate in the Operations Management Team (OMT) related activities:
- Assist in the coordination of the Common Premises Sub-group;
- Contribute to achieving the OMT annual workplan.
5. Support knowledge building and knowledge sharing, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Organization of training for staff on maintenance as and when required;
- Briefing to staff members on issues related to area of work;
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
Impact of ResultsThe key results have an impact on the efficiency of the entire UN Common Premises. Therefore accurate analysis and timely interventions for the upkeep and proper maintenance of the UN Common Premises will promote the image of UN as a whole and at the same time staff can work in a clean and friendly environment.
LEVEL 2: Scale up solutions and simplifies processes, balances speed and accuracy in doing work
LEVEL 2: Offer new ideas/open to new approaches, demonstrate systemic/integrated thinking
LEVEL 2: Go outside comfort zone, learn from others and support their learning
Adapt with Agility
LEVEL 2: Adapt processes/approaches to new situations, involve others in change process
Act with Determination
LEVEL 2: Able to persevere and deal with multiple sources of pressure simultaneously
Engage and Partner
LEVEL 2: Is facilitator/integrator, bring people together, build/maintain coalitions/partnerships
Enable Diversity and Inclusion
LEVEL 2: Facilitate conversations to bridge differences, considers in decision making
The Administration Associate supervises and leads Common Premises support staff.
Show Managerial Courage
- Face up to organizational and people problems
- Not be afraid to take decisions and action when and as needed
- Not hold back anything that needs to be said, respectfully
- Address conflict in a timely manner, not allow conflicts in teams to linger
- Help others through emotional or tense situations, tactfully bringing disagreements into the open and finding solutions all can endorse
Demonstrate Empathy and Emotional Intelligence
- Genuinely care about people; demonstrate empathy with the joys and pains of others
- Enable the wellbeing of the team(s)
- Read a group’s emotional currents and power relationships, identifying influencers, networks, and organizational dynamics; adapt leadership styles at the appropriate times
- See the positive in people, situations, and events
Motivate and Direct
- Create and communicate a compelling vision and purpose
- Align people and resources with organizational vision, strategy, objectives
- Understand and proactively build the team/organisation culture
Build an Enabling Workplace
- Create a working environment where people are engaged and want to do their best; empower and enable team members to perform and have a positive workplace experience
- Promote honesty, openness, trust and psychological safety and create opportunities to innovate and learn
- Recruit and promote individuals based upon objective measures and meritocracy; acknowledge and utilize the talent of others
- Encourage collective action and integration
- Identify and develop talent in individuals, providing positive support to enable them to achieve their potential
- Foster learning or development of others by giving feedback, guidance, and support, support career development of others
- Have willingness and ability to delegate to help people learn, including from failure
Manage Performance and Ensure Accountability
- Ensure regular conversations with people about work
- Provide positive and constructive feedback
- Discuss poor performance in a timely manner
- Provide praise and recognition, as well as ensure accountability
Lead with Humility
- Be authentic and transparent, act with integrity
- Be accessible and available to team members they lead
- Encourage debate and discussion, creating a culture where people are comfortable to challenge senior leaders and feel listened to
- Be modest, giving credit for success to others and admit own shortcomings
Cross-Functional & Technical competencies
2030 Agenda: People – Gender
- UNDP’s Gender Equality Seal Initiative
Administration & Operations – Building, Facilities & Office Space Management
- Facilitate the renovation and upgrade of offices including review of complex engineering/architectural drawing; Negotiate technical agreements to ensure fully operational building infrastructure and services; Design policy & procedure (POPP) for premises and facilities including space standards; support offices in managing their premises and facilities; validate financial statement notes on leasehold data; audit focal point on premises and facilities; facilitate and organize interagency meetings
Administration & Operations – Documents and records management
- Overall document (hard or electronic) management; registry and retention policy including storing and archiving
Administration & Operations – Inventory management
- Each office to ensure sufficient inventory items are available for use as well as reporting for items which are beyond the corporate threshold of $5K and above
Administration & Operations – Onboarding of personnel
- Ensures smooth onboarding of personnel including issuance of office ID, email address creation, office space, telephone extension, issuance of office ICT equipment, etc.
Administration & Operations – Off-boarding of personnel
- Ensures smooth off-boarding of personnel including necessary clearance forms for returning of office equipment, office ID, deletion of office email, etc.
Business Direction & Strategy – Effective Decision Making
- Ability to take decisions in a timely and efficient manner in line with one’s authority, area of expertise and resources
Business Direction & Strategy – Negotiation and Influence
- Ability to reach an understanding, persuade others, resolve points of difference, gain advantage in the outcome of dialogue, negotiate mutually acceptable solutions through compromise and create “win-win” situations.
Business management – Communication
- Ability to communicate in a clear, concise and unambiguous manner both through written and verbal communication, to tailor messages and choose communication methods depending on the audience.
- Ability to manage communications internally and externally through media, social media or other appropriate channels.
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary education. University degree in business, administration, information systems/technology or related field is an advantage.
- 7 years’ experience (or 4 years of experience with Bachelor degree) in administration, supervision or related field.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.).
- Experience in handling of web-based management systems.
- Fluency in written and oral English and Bahasa Melayu
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (tendersglobal.net) you saw this job posting.