UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
UNDP is the leading United Nations organization fighting to end the injustice of poverty, inequality, and climate change. Working with our broad network of experts and partners in 170 countries, we help nations to build integrated, lasting solutions for people and planet. UNDP has been working in Afghanistan for more than 50 years on climate change and resilience, gender, governance, health, livelihoods, and rule of law. Under the broader framework of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and in close coordination with other UN agencies, UNDP is supporting Afghan people’s aspiration for peace, prosperity, and sustainability. UNDP is currently implementing its flagship crisis response programme, ABADEI (Area Based Approach to Development Emergency Initiatives), as part of the ongoing UN-led response to prevent a humanitarian catastrophe and the breakdown of Afghanistan’s economy following the August 2021 shift in power.
The ABADEI Strategy is a tailored area-based integrated programming approach to support basic human needs, complementing short-term humanitarian life-saving assistance with the safeguarding of livelihoods and the strengthening of community resilience. It is centered around addressing worsening poverty and vulnerability, supporting community resilience and social cohesion, addressing climatic vulnerability and enabling the rehabilitation of small-scale infrastructure vital for basic human needs. It supports the creation of immediate sources of income through vocational skills training, cash-for-work, cash for market, small businesses and livelihood opportunities with particular focus on agri-business and regenerative agriculture infrastructure and services (critical for food security) that are under threat. It is sensitive to the chronic and newly emerging vulnerabilities of Afghan women and girls and aims at providing them assistance in a manner that does not exacerbate their susceptibility to violence and deprivation of opportunities and rights.
Duties and Responsibilities
The incumbent will undertake the following to ensure the success of the project:
- Support in implementation of operational and financial management strategies
- Ensure effective administrative support
- Support to ensures knowledge building and knowledge sharing
- Support in implementation of operational and financial management strategies, focusing on the following results:
- Support AFA to ensure proper planning, internal control system and safeguard measures for efficient and effective use of financial and other resources of the ABADEI programme
- Ensure full compliance with UN/UNDP rules, regulations, and policies of financial activities, financial recording/reporting system.
- Support AFA on preparation of budgets, periodic expenditure reporting, donor reporting and other financial reports.
- Properly manage bank and cash operation of the PMU.
- Maintain complete sets of books of accounts and financial records on a daily basis following standard accounting principles.
- Support AFA in analysis and monitoring of the financial situation, presentation of forecasts for AABADEI program, monitoring of financial exception reports for unusual activities, transactions.
- Ensure financial transactions are authorized, recorded, filed with adequate supporting documentation.
- Preparation and monitoring of budgets; regular analysis and reporting on the budget approvals and the delivery situation.
- Provide coordination support in the audit and spot check process in accordance with UN/UNDP rules, regulations, policies and procedures including pre-audit preparations and ensure continuous follow ups on the implementation of audit findings.
- Ensure effective administrative support, focusing on the following results
- Support AFA in all administrative work for smooth implementation of ABADEI programme.
- Assist AFA in preparing annual and quarterly work plan and periodic reporting for specific region
- Assist in coordinating the travel of ABADEI staff, consultants and partners which relates to the implementation of ABADEI work plan.
- Ensure availability, efficient deployment and regular maintenance of programme equipment, including vehicle (s), computers, and other equipment for operational purposes.
- Prepare various contractual documents related to procurement of goods and services ensuring adequate protection of the interest of the programme and follow-up on the status of the contract
- Maintain up-to-date personnel files, employment contracts systematically and periodically report to the Regional Area Manager on the necessary follow-up actions.
- Ensure that vehicle logbooks are systematically maintained by the Driver, vehicles are in proper condition and office supplies are well stocked and properly accounted for.
- Provide support in administering recruitment and procurement of goods and services in accordance with UNDP rules and procedures.
- Perform other administrative duties related to the ABADEI programme as assigned by the Regional Area Manager.
- Ensures knowledge building and knowledge sharing, focusing on the following results
- Ensure facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing and provide guidance to all stakeholders on financial and administrative matters
- Support the organization/conduct of training on financial management and administrative procedures.
- Document lessons learned and best practices in Finance and administration
Perform other duties within your functional profile as assigned and deemed necessary for the efficient functioning of the office.
4. Institutional Arrangement
Under the overall guidance and direction of the Programme Manager and the direct supervision of the Regional Area Manager, the Administrative and Finance Associate will be responsible for providing administrative, coordination and financial management support.
||LEVEL 1: Plans and monitors own work, pays attention to details, delivers quality work by deadline
||LEVEL 1: Open to creative ideas/known risks, is pragmatic problem solver, makes improvements
||LEVEL 1: Open minded and curious, shares knowledge, learns from mistakes, asks for feedback
|Adapt with Agility:
||LEVEL 1: Adapts to change, constructively handles ambiguity/uncertainty, is flexible
|Act with Determination:
||LEVEL 1: Shows drive and motivation, able to deliver calmly in face of adversity, confident
|Engage and Partner:
||LEVEL 1: Demonstrates compassion/understanding towards others, forms positive relationships
|Enable Diversity and Inclusion:
||LEVEL 1: Appreciate/respect differences, aware of unconscious bias, confront discrimination
|Cross-Functional & Technical competencies (insert up to 7 competencies)
|Administration and Operations
||Knowledge of policy & procedures on PP&E; ability to prepare financial statements on PP&E; maintain Asset Management Module in ATLAS, Asset Dashboard; develop supporting tools for assets certification and further enhancements for AM module; design and run training programs, etc. on assets management and assets recording; run APAM interface; perform AP-AM-GL reconciliation; perform analytical review of AM reports and asset information to ensure completeness and accuracy of asset information
|Administration & Operations
||P-card program management
||Knowledge of policy & procedures on P-Card management; ability to perform delinquency review and management, as well as P-Card compliance reviews and reporting; develop supporting tools to enhance P-card program and management
|Administration & Operations
||Documents and records management
||Overall document (hard or electronic) management; registry and retention policy including storing and archiving
||Ability to support budgetary aspects of work planning process, drawing and management of team budget
||Financial reporting and analysis
||Understands changes in regulatory, legal and ethical frameworks and standards for financial reporting in the public sector. Ability to extract, evaluate financial data, derive relevant findings and present them in a meaningful and coherent manner to facilitate effective decision making and performance monitoring. Understands the benefits of integrated reporting, including non-financial resources such as human, social and intellectual capital, and environmental and governance performance
||Customer Satisfaction/Client Management
||Ability to respond timely and appropriately with a sense of urgency, provide consistent solutions, and deliver timely and quality results andor solutions to fulfil and understand the real customers’ needs. Provide inputs to the development of customer service strategy. Look for ways to add Yalue beond clients’ immediate requests. Abilit to anticipate client’s upcoming needs and concerns
||Ability to provide managers and key stakeholders with regular feedback on the consistency or discrepancy between planned and actual activities and programme performance and results
Required Skills and Experience
|Min. Education requirements
||High School Diploma or Bachelor’s degree in Finance/Accounting, Business, or Public Administration, or a professional accounting qualification from an internationally recognized institute of accountancy
|Min. years of relevant work experience
||Minimum of six (06) years with High School Diploma or three (03) years of relevant experience in financial management and oversight with Bachelor Degree, work in various aspects of administration including general admin, procurement and human resources
- Knowledge and experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.).
- Working knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages,
|Desired skills in addition to the competencies covered in the Competencies section
- Ability to work independently, taking initiative, proactive, reliable and impartial
- Experience in the handling of web-based management systems
- Experience from previous UN assignments and/or multilateral and bi-lateral aid organizations would be an asset
- Proficiency in English is required – both written and oral.
- Fluency in local language of duty station Dari and/or Pashto is required
- Internationally recognized accounting certification will be an advantage
- Procurement Certification would be an asset.
Under US immigration law, acceptance of a staff position with UNDP, an international organization, may have significant implications for US Permanent Residents. UNDP advises applicants for all professional level posts that they must relinquish their US Permanent Resident status and accept a G-4 visa, or have submitted a valid application for US citizenship prior to commencement of employment.
UNDP is not in a position to provide advice or assistance on applying for US citizenship and therefore applicants are advised to seek the advice of competent immigration lawyers regarding any applications.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.