United Nations Children's Fund
This position will be responsible to plan, direct and manage the administration and services that directly impact the meeting of organizational/staff needs and program delivery of goals and objectives. The Administrative Officer is responsible for providing support to the supervisors and colleagues in the office by managing and executing a variety of professional and technical transactions and processes, applying theoretical skills and thorough knowledge of organizational goals, objectives, rules, regulations, policies, and procedures to complete the tasks. The Brazil country office is composed by 9 field offices plus the head office in Brasilia.
- Appropriate interpretation and application of administrative policy and procedures are timely implemented to support operations at the country and sub-country levels.
- The budget preparation and implementation are properly administered, monitored, and controlled in the area of administrative management and services.
- Management and operations of delivery and improvement in administrative support services are timely and effectively provided, and security arrangements are well established for enhanced safety and security.
- Property management of administrative supplies, office equipment, vehicles and other properties are effectively performed.
- All administrative transactions and arrangements of contracts satisfy the requirements as stipulated and are in compliance with the applicable policies, procedures, rules and regulations.
- Staff capacity is enhanced through active staff learning/development programmes in the area of administrative management and services.
- Effective working relations are maintained with other agencies, local authorities and implementing partners.
- Any other assigned administrative management responsibilities and services are effectively carried out and delivered.
Key accountabilities and Duties & Tasks:
Policy, procedures, and strategies:
- As functional focal point, accountable for the correct and consistent application of policies and procedures in the assigned administrative functions through the provision of guidance and support to the country office or sub office where applicable.
- Contributes to strategic planning and monitoring of administrative matters at country/sub-country level as necessary. Provides practical input on implementation of administrative guidelines, in close coordination with the head of office, operation staff/ supervisor.
- Supports supervisor and the head of the office, and updates staff on administrative policies, procedures rules and regulation. Implements the appropriate application and interpretation of administrative rules, regulations, policies, and procedures. Briefs and assists arriving and departing staff on basic administrative procedures and requirements.
- Makes specific recommendations on the improvement of systems and internal controls, planning, restructuring and resolution of sensitive issues, taking into account the prevailing conditions in the locality.
- Keeps supervisor abreast of potential problem areas and identifies and recommends solutions. Prepares reports on administrative matters as required.
- Provides administrative support and services to sub-country (zone) offices and out-postings, where applicable, including preparation and funding of service contracts, preparations of PGMs for all administrative supplies and guidance on administrative procedures.
- Undertakes missions to field locations to review administrative arrangements and makes appropriate recommendations where applicable.
- Monitors the budget in close coordination with supervisor to ensure that objectives stipulated early in the fiscal year are realized for smooth operations of the office including sub-country (zone) offices and out postings where applicable.
- Recommends and prepares estimates on office premises, supplies and equipment requirements for budget preparation purposes. Assists zone offices in the establishment and maintenance of administrative services. Prepares, monitors, and controls the administrative budget.
Administrative support and services:
- Undertakes delivery and improvement in administrative support and office services including space management, transport services, vehicle use and maintenance, equipment, conference and travel arrangements, document reproduction, communications, mail and delivery services, local procurement, and bill payments of utilities.
- Ensures the timely and cost-effective provision of basic office services including space management, equipment, communications, and security to enhance staff safety and productivity.
- Supports the Inter-Agency Operations Management Team’s approaches for enhancing UN common services to attain efficiencies and effectiveness.
- Helps negotiate and administer matters relating to office premises, utilities and services with vendors and agencies.
- Oversight of administration support for field offices.
- Supports property management of administrative supplies, office equipment and vehicles, updating inventory of items, serving as ex-officio member to the Property Survey Board where applicable. Assists supervisor in Property Survey Board submissions, preparing minutes of meetings. Assists supervisor in executing PSB recommendations approved by the Head of Office.
- Monitors and supervises adequate and appropriate use of supplies. Ensures that services and maintenance of premises are in accordance with organizational standards.
Contract arrangement and control:
- Ensures that all administrative transactions and arrangements of contracts are in compliance with the applicable policies, procedures, rules and regulations.
- Participates in the reviews of the contractual arrangements related to administrative support (i.e. courier, premises maintenance, ancillary administrative support, vehicle maintenance, equipment maintenance etc.) to ensure that the terms and conditions of all contracts are being adhered to by providers of services. Proposes to supervisor any changes that may be required.
- Monitors payments against contractual obligations.
Staff learning and development:
- Collaborates on the development of training activities to ensure effective performance in administrative services management. Implements effective staff learning and development programme activities for capacity building. Helps organize workshops for staff’s competency building, and staff learning and development.
Partnership, coordination, and collaboration:
- As required, under direction of the supervisor, collaborates with other agencies, local authorities and implementing partners on administrative matters including information exchange and harmonization.
- Performs any other duties and responsibilities assigned as required.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have:
- A first level university degree in social sciences, business management, administration, finance, or any other relevant field of discipline.
- A minimum of 2 years of professional experience in in office management, administration, finance, accounting, ICT, human resources, supply or any other relevant function is required.
- Experience in an international organization and/or large corporation is preferred.
- Experience in a UN system agency or organization some of which served in a developing country is considered as an asset.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office, especially Excel required. Experience in database packages, web based management systems and ERP systems (preferably SAP financial modules) is considered as an asset.
- Fluency in English and Portuguese is required. Knowledge of Spanish will be considered as an asset.
Recommend your friend
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (tendersglobal.net) you saw this job posting.
IT AssistantUnited Nations High Commissioner for Refugeestakum, Nigertakum, Niger
Batch recruitment (5 Positions): Supply and Logistics Associate, GS6, TA, Multiple Locations, (Wadi Madani, El Fasher, Kosti, Kassala, and Ad Damazine) Sudan, MENAUNICEF GlobalSudanSudan
Risk Management & Internal Controller – Global Fund TB/HIV/RSSH GrantMonrovia, LiberiaMonrovia, Liberia
Emergency ManagerDanish Refugee CouncilAnywhereAnywhere