Food and Agriculture Organization
The Plant Production and Protection Division (NSP) enables the transition to MORE efficient, inclusive, resilient, and sustainable plant production and protection through optimization and minimization. This requires the integration and harmonization of all appropriate crop production policies and practices to increase production in a sustainable manner in order to eradicate hunger while preserving the natural resources and environment for future use.
The post of Agricultural Officer (Locust Management) is located at FAO headquarters in Rome, Italy, in the Locusts and Transboundary Plant Pests and Diseases Team (NSPMD), one of the six teams in the Division. NSPMD provides advice, technical support and guidance to countries on the sustainable management and control of transboundary plant pests and diseases and locusts. The team is comprised of technical specialists managing transboundary plant pests and diseases, in close collaboration with countries, by monitoring, early warning, forecasting, rapid response, communication and capacity development and by promoting sustainable and environmentally sound management and control techniques.
The Agricultural Officer (Locust Management) reports to the Senior Agricultural Officer/Team Leader, in the Locusts and Transboundary Plant Pests and Diseases Team (NSPMD) of the Plant Production and Protection Division (NSP).
Support countries in the development and implementation of strategies and programmes for the sustainable management of locusts.
Technical and policy expertise to support the planning, development and implementation of divisional programmes, projects, products and services in accordance with the FAO Strategic Framework.
- Plans and leads components of multidisciplinary teams, leads and/or participates in Organization-wide, cross-divisional committees, project teams and working groups and/or provides specialized expertise on technical networks and/or international technical policy and standard setting bodies.
- Develops technical, analysis, assessment, monitoring and/or reporting frameworks and related methodologies, tools, systems and databases, etc. to support the planning, implementation/delivery and monitoring of programmes of work, projects, products and/or services.
- Designs and conducts research, data collection, validation, analysis and/or reporting activities to support the development of technical standards, international instruments, innovative cross-sectoral approaches, new tools, technologies, technical reports/publications and/or policy proposals as well as the provision of technical/policy/specialist/advice and expertise.
- Responds to Member Nations’ requests for technical and/or policy assistance; provides technical advice, assistance and solutions to Decentralized Offices; provides technical backstopping to field projects.
- Collaborates in, provides technical backstopping to, and ensures the quality/effectiveness of, capacity development and knowledge sharing activities within Member Nations such as policy support, organizational development and individual learning events, including preparation of related information, learning materials and on-line tools.
- Promotes international cooperation/advocates best practices, supports increased policy dialogue and provides technical expertise at international/intergovernmental meetings.
- Participates in resource mobilization activities in accordance with the FAO Corporate Strategy.
- Provides technical support and guidance to the ongoing locust management programme in Caucasus and Central Asia (CCA), and other locust related projects in different regions.
- Supports the development and the implementation of locust preventive control plans, contingency plans and locust emergency responses.
- Supports the assessment of the national locust management capacities and preparedness and formulates recommendations for improvement.
- Contributes to the development and promotion of innovative technologies for locust sustainable management, and locust monitoring, forecasting and prediction systems.
- Provides technical support to Member Nations and stakeholders to strengthen their capacities in the surveillance and monitoring of locusts, and in developing appropriate management strategies.
- Liaises/cooperates with research and development institutions, private sector organizations, Desert locust commissions, NGOs and universities, linking the needs of countries for the environmentally sound management and control of locusts, with on-going research activities and outputs.
- Supports the development and review of technical specifications for locust-related equipment and material.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Candidates Will Be Assessed Against The Following:
- Advanced university degree in agriculture/agronomy, entomology, with focus on locust management.
- Seven years of relevant experience in locust monitoring and management.
- Working knowledge of English (proficient – level C) and limited knowledge
- Extent and relevance of knowledge and experience in locust bio-ecology, management and control.
- Extent and relevance of knowledge and experience in locust forecasting and prediction.
- Extent and relevance of experience in developing and delivering programmes of work or projects on the environmentally sound management and control of transboundary insect pests.
- Demonstrated experience in analysing information as the basis for technical and policy advice for governments.
- Limited knowledge (intermediate – level B) of Russian or French will be considered a strong asset.
- Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions.
Recommend your friend
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (tendersglobal.net) you saw this job posting.
Student Environmental Health OfficerMid Kent Environmental HealthSittingbourne, KentSittingbourne, Kent
Mechatroniker für Anwendungstechnik & Service (m/w/d)BrunelHamburgHamburg
Media and Mass Communication OfficerUnited Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural OrganizationIslamabad, PakistanIslamabad, Pakistan
EGG2-RFQ-Rehabilitation of Multimedia/Reading RoomUnited Nations Development ProgrammeAnywhereAnywhere