Emory University is a leading research university that fosters excellence and attracts world-class talent to innovate today and prepare leaders for the future. We welcome candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of our academic community.
AppHatchery Intern Summer 2023
Starting Monday May 22nd, 2023, through Friday August 11th 2023 (12 weeks)
Potential to extend the internship to part time during the academic year based on performance
Do you care about making a change in healthcare? Join the AppHatchery! We support the creation of simple mobile app ideas through strategy, user research, design, development, and MVP clinical study for clinical researchers at Emory University, Georgia Tech, Morehouse School of Medicine, and UGA. The center’s goal is to advance clinical research through the development of mobile apps used by patients and clinicians. More information is available on our website at Georgia ACTSA
Our work aims to solve niche areas where not much research or private endeavors exist. Some of our past projects have been in: Assisting children and parents manage rare genetic cancer predispositions, improving traumatic surgery recovery for victims of interpersonal violence in Atlanta, and a tool to help clinicians and public health officials tackle Tuberculosis in Georgia.
ABOUT YOU AND THE JOB
As a team member, you understand the whole product creation process with focused skills in one area (research, design, development, management). You create products from start to finish and own the whole process. Working closely with PMs, researchers, designers, and engineers allows you to impact the product design used by the entire user base. Throughout the entire process, you empathize with the users and remain at the center of the product creation.
The AppHatchery is seeking a summer intern to join our team and take a role in one or more of the following domains and potentially learn and support the others:
- Design research plans involving a mix of quantitative and qualitative research methods.
- Create interview guides, conduct primary interview research, and synthesis research findings
- Create low, medium, and high-fidelity designs for current and future mobile application products using industry-standard mobile app design tools (Figma, sketch, miro, or other)
- Translate user research into design requirements
- Explain and communicate design language and decisions to software engineers
- Develop mobile app features for Android (Kotlin or Java) and/or IOS (Swift) with the potential to explore react native and other cross-platform tools
- Participate in mobile app architecture decisions
- Translate designs and requirements into platform-specific features and functions
- Product Management
- Participate in strategy decisions about app features, goals, and planning
- Own a specific feature or small project from the beginning of user research through development and deployment.
- Currently working towards a master’s degree or PhD in Human-Computer Interaction, Computer Science, Design, or relevant similar masters level program.
- Previous professional experience in one or more of the role domains.
- Your designs have been implemented in a production environment
- Experience in healthcare, medicine, or public health environments or projects
- You are comfortable in start-up work environments, willing to flex into different business areas, and learn new skills when necessary, such as creating marketing assets or running experiments.
- You thrive on collaborating with others.
- You have experience working closely with other designers to develop content, product teams, or interaction designers to bring it to life in a digital environment and/or marketing teams to strategically position it.
- You are skilled at managing stakeholders and building relationship networks.
NOTE: This role will be granted the opportunity to work from home regularly but must be able to commute to Emory University on a flexible weekly schedule based upon business needs. Schedule is based on agreed upon guidelines of department of work. Emory reserves the right to change remote work status with notice to employee.
To ensure the safety of our campus community, the COVID-19 vaccine is required. For more information on the University and Hospital policies and potential exemptions, please see our website.
Emory University is dedicated to providing equal opportunities and equal access to all individuals regardless of race, color, religion, ethnic or national origin, gender, genetic information, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, and veteran’s status. Emory University does not discriminate in admissions, educational programs, or employment on the basis of any factor stated above or prohibited under applicable law. Students, faculty, and staff are assured of participation in University programs and in the use of facilities without such discrimination. Emory University complies with Executive Order 11246, as amended, Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veteran’s Readjustment Assistance Act, and applicable executive orders, federal and state regulations regarding nondiscrimination, equal opportunity and affirmative action. Emory University is committed to achieving a diverse workforce through application of its affirmative action, equal opportunity and nondiscrimination policy in all aspects of employment including recruitment, hiring, promotions, transfers, discipline, terminations, wage and salary administration, benefits, and training. Inquiries regarding this policy should be directed to the Emory University Department of Equity and Inclusion, 201 Dowman Drive, Administration Building, Atlanta, GA 30322. Telephone: 404-727-9867 (V) tendersglobal.net 404-712-2049 (TDD).
Emory University is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request. To request this document in an alternate format or to request a reasonable accommodation, please contact the Department of Accessibility Services at 404-727-9877 (V) tendersglobal.net 404-712-2049 (TDD). Please note that one week advance notice is preferred.
Not ready to apply?
Connect with us for general consideration!
View or Apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email – cover/motivation letter where (tendersglobal.net) you saw this job posting.