The post holder of this new strategic role will provide the vision and leadership for our work across Asia and operate as a member of the Global Leadership Team to drive the global strategy, reporting to the CEO. The post holder will have a strong understanding of the regional context and develop a range of high-impact strategic partnerships and funding relationships that will enable us to deliver our ambitious strategy in Asia.
Practical Action has long-standing experience of running programmes and partnerships in South Asia and co-ordinating consultancy work in additional Asian countries. The post-holder of this new role will be responsible for setting the direction and driving forward the next phase of our work in Asia, building on our current 2025 strategy and looking ahead to 2030.
The current direct reports for the Asia Director will be the Country Directors for Nepal and Bangladesh, the Practical Action Consultancy (PAC) Manager for Asia (based in Nepal), an India Manager and an International Operations Manager (IOM) for Asia (currently under recruitment). The Asia Director will ensure cohesion and high-quality delivery across country offices and support senior staff to reach their full potential and develop new high-impact partnerships and consultancy work.
To be successful in the role, the ideal candidate will be able to demonstrate:
- Significant experience in the development field and/or consultancy sector, including at a senior management level in a global organisation, bringing perspectives and views from regional context to overall strategy and leadership;
- Proven track record of leading portfolio growth;
- Experience of developing and leading ambitious, viable strategies;
- Masters level qualification or equivalent professional experience;
- Excellent knowledge of the Asia context, ideally related to: energy, agriculture, WASH & Waste Management and/or climate & resilience;
- Experience managing a cross-cultural team in Asia with lived experience and knowledge of political-economic realities and cultural diversity across key countries in Asia;
- Strong track record in creating strategies collaboratively across diverse teams and networks and developing high profile external representation and building strategic partnerships for high impact;
- Experience of managing a high performing team to achieve results and ability to drive change processes, bringing people along on the journey;
- Proven track record of managing multi-million pound portfolios;
- ensuring business viability, budgets compliance, delivery and controls;
- Ability to manage multiple responsibilities and to set priorities;
- Excellent written & verbal communications skills: English and one other language commonly spoken in Asia;
- A sound understanding of and commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, including gender;
- Commitment to Practical Action’s vision, mission and values;
- Ability to travel regularly between countries in Asia and to the UK.
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (tendersglobal.net) you saw this job posting.