Arizona State University
The School of Sustainable Engineering and the Built Environment in the Ira A. Fulton Schools of Engineering at Arizona State University is seeking an Associate Director, Resource Planning and Management to provide conceptual thought leadership at the School level around financial and personnel planning, reporting and analysis.
Sch Sustain Engr & Built Envrn
Grant Funded Position
This is not a grant funded position and is not contingent on future grant funding.
$90,000 – $115,000 per year, DOE
Provide leadership and oversight of the School’s central administrative operations
- Oversees the development of processes that support the School’s strategic vision and priorities
- Analyzes administrative, personnel, academic and operational functions
- Serves in an advisory role to various faculty and staff leadership to provide advice on department programs
- Develops, implements and maintains school policies and procedures.
- Compile statistical information on a periodic or ad-hoc basis in response to surveys, accreditations, expenditures, enrollments, etc.
- Oversees and establishes the payroll process for the school
- Manages and controls personal services budget, expenditures and revenues.
- Continuous improvement of effectiveness and efficiency
- Oversees all year-end accounting/budgeting activities and processes
Personnel and Human Resources
Leads the School’s administration of personnel policies and processes.
- Oversees and directs the administrative and Human Resource functions through various staff for the school to include compensation and job functions analysis, recruiting (external and internal), hiring and training, Visa coordination and compliance/audits.
- Prepares or coordinates the preparation of personnel and administrative reports. Analyzes and interprets statistics and employment data for leadership.
- Responsible for ensuring that salary planning and merit exercises balance to personnel budgets.
- Works collaboratively with leadership, unit leads and business staff to develop human resource strategy with metrics tied to that strategy in order to most effectively plan for and utilize resources.
Budget and Fiscal Management
Provide fiscal leadership and management of a multi-million dollar budget to include all funding sources.
- Conceptualize and lead the development of business planning process for new School initiatives
- Directs the strategic planning, developing, reporting and administering of the School budgets.
- Prepares analysis that support budget trends, including revenue and cost analysis, and budget forecasts.
- Works collaboratively with leadership, unit leads and business staff to develop a financial strategy with metrics tied to that strategy.
- Analyze revenue trends to support maximum flexibility of funds to fulfill School commitments and to provide forecasting assumptions and interpretation.
- Analyzes and interprets financial and management planning data in conjunction with assumptions for predicting resource needs, then verifies the results.
- Oversight of financial forecast development, including mid and long-range budget planning models, and develops less complex what-if analyses to support administration decision-making.
Bachelor’s degree in a field appropriate to the area of assignment AND seven (7) years of related administrative experience, which includes four (4) years of supervisory experience; OR, Eleven (11) years of related administrative experience, which includes four (4) years of supervisory experience; OR, Any equivalent combination of education and/or experience from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the principles and practices pertaining to the assigned department.
- Demonstrated knowledge of management and supervisory principles and practices.
- Demonstrated knowledge of budget management methods and techniques.
- Demonstrated knowledge of strategic planning principles and practices.
- Demonstrated knowledge of principles, concepts, and practices of organizational management.
- Experience in problem solving and decision-making.
- Experience in planning, analyzing and coordinating activities and establishing priorities.
- Experience in effectively managing, supervising and evaluating assigned staff.
- Experience in program design and development.
- Experience in budget preparation and forecasting.
- Evidence of effective communication skills.
- Experience in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships.
- Activities are primarily performed in a regular, climate controlled office setting subject to extended periods of sitting, standing, walking.
- Use office equipment including a desktop computer.
- Lift up to 20 pounds.
- Communicate to perform essential duties.
The Ira A. Fulton Schools of Engineering is the largest producer of engineering and technical talent in the nation and seeks to deliver a world-class learning experience for our students and to advance research and innovation – all at scale. We value and emphasize inherently interdisciplinary endeavors that leverage the breadth and depth of expertise among our outstanding faculty, and have built a unique place for large-scale innovation characterized by foundational excellence and translational impacts. We are an engineering school on the rise at the most innovative university in the country and in the heart of the nation’s fifth largest metropolitan area. The scale of our faculty research interests and interdisciplinary mindset, combined with more than 48 graduate degree programs and 25 undergraduate degree programs, provide the foundation for knowledge generation and collaborative opportunities to advance new ideas.
The Fulton Schools of Engineering, located across ASU’s Tempe and Polytechnic campuses, is comprised of seven schools based on academic programs and research areas. Fulton Engineering has a nationally recognized faculty that conducts research, instructs and mentors students, provides service to engineering, computing and technology professions and creates lasting impacts across local and global communities.
The Fulton Schools of Engineering follows a framework of values designed to distinguish our practice and guide daily decisions in our academic, research, corporate engagement and entrepreneurial endeavors. These values influence how we recognize, reward and communicate our achievements. At the Fulton Schools of Engineering, we:
- Cultivate excellence.
- Deliver innovation that matters.
- Encourage bold thinking.
- Foster a community of learning and collaboration.
- Build a foundation for all to be successful.
Working at ASU has outstanding benefits that include: health, dental and vision insurance plans; ASU/UA/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; life insurance and disability programs; sick leave and holidays; state and optional retirement plans; access to ASU recreation and cultural activities, and more. To estimate the value of your total compensation, please visit
Arizona State University is a new model for American higher education, an unprecedented combination of academic excellence, entrepreneurial energy and broad access. This New American University is a single, unified institution comprising four differentiated campuses positively impacting the economic, social, cultural and environmental health of the communities it serves. Its research is inspired by real world application blurring the boundaries that traditionally separate academic disciplines. ASU serves more than 100,000 students in metropolitan Phoenix, Arizona, the nation’s fifth largest city. ASU champions intellectual and cultural diversity, and welcomes students from all fifty states and more than one hundred nations across the globe.
ASU is a tobacco-free university. For details visit https://wellness.asu.edu/explore-wellness/body/alcohol-and-drugs/tobacco
Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
Notice of Availability of the ASU Annual Security and Fire Safety Report
In compliance with federal law, ASU prepares an annual report on campus security and fire safety programs and resources. ASU’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available online at https://www.asu.edu/police/PDFs/ASU-Clery-Report.pdf. You may request a hard copy of the report by contacting the ASU PD at 480-965-3456.
Relocation Assistance – For information about schools, housing child resources, neighborhoods, hospitals, community events, and taxes, visit https://cfo.asu.edu/az-resources .
Employment Verification Statement
ASU conducts pre-employment screening which may include verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications.
Background Check Statement
ASU conducts pre-employment screening for all positions which includes a criminal background check, verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications. Employment is contingent upon successful passing of the background check.
Fingerprint Check Statement
This position is considered safety/security sensitive and will include a fingerprint check. Employment is contingent upon successful passing of the fingerprint check.
Instructions to Apply
Application deadline is 3:00PM Arizona time on the date indicated.
Please include all employment information in month/year format (e.g., 6/88 to 8/94), job title, job duties and name of employer for each position.
Resume should clearly illustrate how prior knowledge and experience meets the Minimum and Desired qualifications of this position.
ASU does not pay for travel expenses associated with interviews, unless otherwise indicated.
Only electronic applications are accepted for this position.
IMPORTANT NOTE: What is the meaning of “equivalent combination” in the minimum qualifications? It means one year of higher education or 24 credit hours, is equal to one year of experience. For example, a four year Bachelor’s degree is equal to four years of experience.
View or Apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email – cover/motivation letter where (tendersglobal.net) you saw this job posting.