Do you have experience in process science and environmental monitoring and permitting in the
water or waste industry? If so, we have an exciting opportunity for you to join our team as a
Bioresources Process Scientist!
What can I expect?
Wessex Water provides water to 1.3 million people and treats 480 million litres of sewage in
the South West. Our scientists help ensure we protect the environment and comply with the
regulatory requirements in the most efficient and safest way possible.
As a Bioresources Process Scientist, you will provide process science support to ensure the
efficient and stable operation of the sludge treatment processes, as well as maintaining
installation permit compliance at Avonmouth Bioresources Centre. You will achieve this through
process performance monitoring, emissions monitoring, sampling and surveying. This role will
cover the development and review of new procedures and management plans, as well as preventing
statutory nuisance and making budgetary savings. You will also maintain compliance with best
practice and Best Available Techniques (BAT).
Working alongside Avonmouth’s Process Scientists, you will ensure management plans are
followed, collect data to demonstrate compliance and compile reports which will be submitted to
the Environment Agency.
You will be the operational lead on audits with internal regulatory teams and external
regulators. You will provide expert technical input into capital maintenance schemes for
Avonmouth Bioresources Centre from feasibility studies right through to commissioning.
Your role will be varied with both practical and desk-based actives and will require
collaboration with various colleagues at all levels across operations, health and safety,
engineering and compliance, as well as external consultants, regulatory bodies and
The ideal person
To succeed in this role, you will have achieved a degree or equivalent experience in a science
or engineering subject, along with knowledge/experience of the following:
- anaerobic digestion and other sludge treatment technologies
- environmental permitting
- odour treatment and nuisance management
- interpreting regulatory frameworks and guidance
- writing technical reports and interpreting large datasets
- being a role model for health and safety with knowledge of hazards associated with toxic
gas, DSEAR, sewage and sludge
- experience or awareness of health and safety procedures and risk management
- the ability to communicate complex topics effectively with people of all backgrounds,
levels of knowledge and authority
- WAMITAB level 4 in Anaerobic Digestion is desirable but not essential.
In addition, you will have:
- IT literacy, including competency using all Microsoft packages, particularly Outlook, Excel
- a full driving licence.
Benefits for you
- Pension – up to 20% combined contribution
- 25 days’ holiday rising to 28 with length of service
- Opportunity to buy and sell up to five days’ holiday
- Life assurance (four times your salary)
- Flexible working
- Cashback and discounts from over 1,200 retailers
- Paid volunteering day
- Enhanced maternity leave
- Health and wellbeing programme
- Support from mental health first aiders
What will you get from us?
Our people tell us Wessex Water is a great place to work, and they stay with us! We are proud
of how we support development and career progression. We have a wealth of both financial and
non-financial benefits to offer our people and are committed to ensuring we provide an
environment that supports health and wellbeing and flexible working.
We continue to promote diversity and inclusion. With that in mind, we welcome all applicants.
We are delighted to have signed the Armed Forces covenant and are a Disability Confident
Employer. Applicants who declare they have a disability or have previously served with the
Armed Forces, and meet the minimum requirements for the job, will automatically be invited for
Please let us know if you require any additional support or adjustments to assist you in
starting your journey with Wessex Water.
If you have what it takes to join this award-winning business and want to be part of our
exciting journey and share in that success, then please get in contact with us to find out
Sound interesting? Please click APPLY to progress to the next step.
Find out more & apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email/cover letter where (tendersglobal.net) you saw this internship posting.