MoveOn is a people-powered force for progress. We wield independent political power by bringing millions together to take action to create a country with a place of honor and dignity for everyone—where all are welcome, we take care of one another, and where everyone is set up to thrive.
For more than a generation, MoveOn has been a bulwark against the radical right and has channeled millions of voices to end wars, protect democracy, and advance justice for all. We’ve built political power for progressive change through mobilizing the left to Democrats so that we can advance our vision of an America for all.
MoveOn is the largest multi-issue digital first political campaigning organization in the country. We drive rapid-response campaigns at scale on a multitude of key issues at high-impact moments while building sustainable campaigns that resonate and grow over time. Whether its democracy, health care, foreign policy, economic justice, immigration or otherwise, MoveOn provides our members with timely ways to take action for change.
You will develop and run campaigns at MoveOn, driving high-impact, public-engaging efforts to involve our millions of members and the broader public in rapid-response moments and sharp strategic initiatives. This role coordinates and leverages MoveOn’s many functional teams to bring the full power of our social, mobile, field, communications, and other tools to bear on strategic campaign work. That might mean a multi-month campaign to defeat Trumpcare, calling for and leading a national mobilization against Trump’s fake national emergency, working with immigrant-led groups to block Trump’s wall, pushing Congress to vote to end U.S. support for the war in Yemen, or running tactics to infuse health care, gun violence, and family separation into the 2018 election.
This role is a premiere position in the broad progressive movement. MoveOn’s national Campaign Directors have driven work that’s changed the course of history—winning health care access for millions, stopping wars, curbing family separation policies—and have gone on, after MoveOn, to found and direct marquee organizations and serve as elected officials in public life. This is a remarkable position at the heart of MoveOn’s powerful team that allows you to strategize and to mobilize millions of people in defense of democracy, justice, and dignity for all.
- Identify, develop and lead high-profile, high-impact, creative, digital-first campaigns and offline strategies that center equity and progressive values, tap into MoveOn member energy, harness credible theories of change, and have the capacity to propel national impact.
- Engage partner organizations, especially those representing impacted communities, to inform priorities and strategic direction for campaigns.
- Track breaking news and longer-term trends affecting organizational and campaign priorities.
- Write compelling emails and associated mobile, press, and social content that motivates members to take a range of actions.
- Lead internal cross-organizational working groups to execute all aspects of campaigns you direct; assess technical and creative needs for campaigns, and work with colleagues on the execution of these assets; direct contractors and consultants as needed.
- Learn and utilize the full range of MoveOn’s digital campaigning tools, including our email, mobile messaging, petition, call alert, event, and querying platforms.
- Participate as a member in a dynamic, committed, and passionate team, where you will move nimbly among campaigns, support the work of your colleagues, and lean on others for help.
A successful candidate will …
- Have experience with and deep commitment to applying anti-oppression frameworks—especially with regard to racial, gender, and economic injustice. Ideal candidates have worked with racial justice-oriented coalitions, organizations, and campaigns in the past.
- Enjoy creative brainstorming, following the news, and working with colleagues and members with diverse backgrounds and experiences.
- Enjoy working in a fast-paced and flexible environment where priorities shift and there are many opportunities to learn new tactics, tools, and processes.
Required Skills and Experience
- At least three years of experience leading digital campaigns that mobilized people online and offline, promoted progressive values with a clear equity lens, and made change in the world.
- Proven ability to collaboratively organize colleagues and partners around a project or campaign, resulting in effective implementation, as well as experience managing staff or volunteers on multifaceted projects.
- Strong writing skills.
- Ability and commitment to develop and nurture collaborative relationships with colleagues in a virtual office setting at MoveOn and with partner and allied organizations.
- Experience with or the ability to learn the suite of MoveOn’s digital campaigning tools.
- Demonstrated commitment to MoveOn’s mission and values.
Reports to: Managing Director of Campaigns
Location: Position may be based anywhere in the contiguous United States. May require occasional travel.
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (tendersglobal.net) you saw this job posting.