As part of Amnesty International’s leading experts on the Caribbean, the Regional Campaigner will develop and implement campaigning strategies to deliver impact in relation to agreed priorities, managing, and coordinating actions on human rights concerns by using and developing knowledge on specific countries or other geographical and thematic areas and supporting and liaising with Amnesty International (AI) movement and outside networks to ensure maximum impact.
This is a fixed-term contract for one year with the possibility of extension, however we cannot guarantee this.
- To contribute to the development of overarching campaigning and advocacy strategies to deliver impact, to manage and coordinate actions, both in specific countries and other geographical or thematic areas aimed at effecting change in the human rights situation.
- To participate and propose internal discussions, provide inputs, sophisticated analysis, insights, and solutions regarding human rights situation in the Caribbean.
- To support and liaise with AI membership structures and maintain and develop respectful, functional, and collaborative networks of national and international NGOs and other external partners in the development and implementation of campaigning strategies and plans.
- To write or otherwise devise campaigning and other materials for external and internal use, such as reports, annual report entries, public statements, web features, audio-visual materials, and government correspondence.
- To continuously research the most effective ways to campaign on human rights concerns and strategically monitor and conduct evaluations of campaigning strategies and plans.
- To monitor and analyse political and social developments, and in close coordination with researchers, conduct and/or support research as appropriate into human rights contexts and individual or group cases, including by participating in field research and through
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Sufficient proven experience in strategic campaigning and advocacy, including knowledge of the steps required to devise campaigning strategy, actions and campaigning techniques designed to benefit and protect vulnerable and historically marginalized groups.
- Five years first-hand experience working on human rights issues in the Caribbean.
- Knowledge of the sub-region in general and a specialist knowledge regarding key issues in specific countries.
- Experience working with and/or directly supporting local movements and communities affected by human rights issues in the Caribbean.
- Ability to understand and express ideas Spanish and English and, where applicable, other relevant languages (i.e., Portuguese) in a fluent, clear, and concise way, both orally and in writing, and to communicate complex information and institutional positions.
Amnesty International is a global movement of more than 10 million people who campaign for a world where human rights are enjoyed by all. We reach almost every country in the world.
Our aim is simple: an end to human rights abuses. Independent, international, and influential, we campaign for justice, fairness, freedom and truth wherever they’re denied. And whether we’re applying pressure through powerful research or direct lobbying, mass demonstrations or online campaigning, we’re all inspired by hope for a better world. One where human rights are respected and protected by everyone, everywhere.
At Amnesty International, we are passionate about what we do and we are proud of our achievements as a movement. To compensate our employees for the critical work they do, we reward them through a combination of an attractive and sector competitive salary and benefits package, high levels of engagement and involvement, and a commitment to employee development.
Benefits include 37 days annual leave (inclusive of public holidays and grace days), competitive salary, pension scheme, employee assistance programme, life assurance and many more. All of this, in a professional, engaging environment.
WHAT WE HOPE YOU WILL DO NEXT
If you are talented, passionate about human rights and want to use your skills, knowledge, and experience to change the world then we would encourage you to click ‘Apply for this Role‘ below.
Freedom, Justice, Equality. Let’s get to work.
N.B. We reserve the right to close a vacancy before the closing date in the event of an overwhelming response or a change in business priorities.**