Job Overview: The Citizenship Instructor will teach Citizenship Education classes meeting the educational needs of lawful permanent residents on their way to becoming U.S. Citizens. The instructor will be responsible for refining class curriculum and materials, teaching classes, providing civics knowledge, recruiting and enrolling students, and tracking student progress in accordance with project requirements. The instructor will maintain student files, collaborate with other project staff as needed, and direct the activities of in-class volunteer aides. The instructor will primarily work in IRC’s Elizabeth, New Jersey office.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
· Plan lessons and refine curriculum as necessary;
· Teach classes in accordance with the donor contract, internal workplan, and program objectives;
· Ensure pre/post tests are provided to all eligible students in a timely manner;
· Attend USCIS and IRC staff meetings;
· Comply with student enrollment procedures, including verifying the legal permanent resident (LPR) status of all students;
· Record and track students’ gains via LollyLaw, Efforts-To-Outcomes (ETO), and note student progress in student files;
· Responsible for growth and implementation of Civic Engagement programming;
· Responsible for outreach and maintaining student enrollment;
· Liaise with Volunteer Coordinator and direct the activities of in-class volunteer aides;
· Other related duties as assigned.
Education: Undergraduate degree in education, English, or a related field;
· Minimum of 2 years adult teaching experience, with minimum of 1 year teaching ESL or Citizenship;
Demonstrated Skills & Competencies:
· Familiarity with offering standardized testing;
· Experience in writing curriculum;
· Excellent written, verbal, computer, organizational and interpersonal communication skills are essential;
· Ability to be flexible, work independently and prioritize within tight deadlines;
· Self-directed and able to work well within a team;
· Fluency in written and spoken English; some knowledge of Spanish a plus;
· Ability to communicate effectively with colleagues and partners in a cross-cultural, multi-disciplinary environment.
- A combination of standard office environment and ‘classroom’ time within the service delivery area to perform the above outlined responsibilities.
· Regular work within the Elizabeth NJ office is required
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement: In accordance with IRC’s duty to provide and maintain a workplace that is free of known hazards and our commitment to safeguard the health of our employees, clients, and communities, IRC requires new hires to furnish proof of vaccination against COVID-19 in order to be considered for any in-office or hybrid positions. All IRC US offices require full vaccination to attend any in-office functions (e.g., meetings, trainings).
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusivity: IRC is committed to building a diverse organization and a climate of inclusivity. We strongly encourage applications from candidates who can demonstrate that they can contribute to this goal.
Equal Opportunity Employer: We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
US Benefits: We offer a comprehensive and highly competitive set of benefits. In the US, these include: 10 sick days, 10 US holidays, 20-25 paid time off days depending on role and tenure, medical insurance starting at $120 per month, dental starting at $7 per month, and vision starting at $5 per month, FSA for healthcare and commuter costs, a 403b retirement savings plans with immediately vested matching, disability & life insurance, and an Employee Assistance Program which is available to our staff and their families to support counseling and care in times of crisis and mental health struggles.
How to apply
Please apply on our website: