United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
The Bureau of External Relations and Advocacy (BERA) is responsible for UNDP’s external relations and advocacy functions. The Bureau leads and supports the organization in cultivating, building and nurturing strategic relationships and alliances that are essential for advancing and successfully achieving the mission of UNDP. These relationships encompass a wide range and number of key constituencies and development partners, that includes programme countries, existing and prospective donor countries/emerging economic powers, multilateral institutions such as the IFIs, the European Commission, civil society, the private sector, foundations, academia and think tanks, the wider UN system, various UN inter-governmental bodies, as well as global, regional and national media
The UNDP Nordic Representation Office (UNDP NRO) is a decentralized function of the UNDP Bureau of External Relations and Advocacy, which is responsible for partnership and community relations. The main office is located in Copenhagen, with staff located in Oslo, Stockholm and Helsinki. UNDP NRO is responsible for informing UNDP’s mandate, development agenda and UNDPs work on the SDGs. The office contributes to giving the Nordic countries easier access to the UNDP and the UN system as a whole, and acts as a link between the Nordic countries and UNDP headquarters. The UNDP NRO works to put key development issues on the agenda in the Nordic countries, by organizing seminars and conferences on relevant development issues.
UNDPs sub-office in Oslo is responsible for informing UNDP’s mandate, development agenda and UNDPs work on the SDGs. The office contributes to giving key stakeholders in Norway easier access to UNDP and the UN system as a whole, and acts as a link between Norway, the Nordic countries and UNDP headquarters.
Under the overall guidance of the Partnership Specialist and NRO Team Lead Norway, the Communications and Partnerhsip analyst will lead the daily work on communications for NRO’s satellite office in Oslo, including supporting the development, implementing, and evaluating partnership and communications strategies for UNDP in Norway, monitoring and identifying communications opportunities in Norway, and carrying out other relevant tasks related to the activities of NRO in Norway.
- Planning and design of internal and external strategies for communications and outreach;
- Supervision of the design and maintenance of the UNDP Norway’s web site and social media in English and Norwegian;
- Support to business development, policy research, and creation of knowledge products;
- Facilitation of and contributions to knowledge building and knowledge sharing.
- Support engagement and advocacy efforts with UNDP partners
- Support the Team-lead of UNDPs Sub-Office in Oslo on other tasks as required
The position will report directly to the Partnership Specialist and NRO Team Lead Norway
- Achieve Results: LEVEL 2: Scale up solutions and simplifies processes, balances speed and accuracy in doing work
- Think Innovatively: LEVEL 2: Offer new ideas/open to new approaches, demonstrate systemic/integrated thinking
- Learn Continuously: LEVEL 2: Go outside comfort zone, learn from others and support their learning
- Adapt with Agility: LEVEL 2: Adapt processes/approaches to new situations, involve others in change process
- Act with Determination: LEVEL 2: Able to persevere and deal with multiple sources of pressure simultaneously
- Engage and Partner: LEVEL 2: Is facilitator/integrator, bring people together, build/maintain coalitions/partnerships
- Enable Diversity and Inclusion: LEVEL 2: Facilitate conversations to bridge differences, considers in decision making
Cross-Functional & Technical competencies:
- Business Direction and Strategy – Strategic Thinking:
- Ability to develop effective strategies and priorates plans in line with UNDP’s objectives, based on the systemic analysis of challenges, potential risks and opportunities; linking the vision to reality on the ground, and creating tangible solutions
- Ability to leverage learning from a variety of sources to anticipate and respond to future trends; to demonstrate foresight in order to model what future developments and possible ways forward look like for UNDP
- Business Direction and Strategy – Effective decision making:
- Ability to take decisions in a timely and efficient manner in line with one’s authority, area of expertise and resources
- Business Development – UNDP representation:
- Ability to represent UNDP and productively share UNDP knowledge and activities; advocate for UNDP, its values, mission and work with various constituencies
- Business Management – Partnerships management:
- Ability to build and maintain partnerships with wide networks of stakeholders, Governments, civil society and private sector partners, experts and others in line with UNDP strategy and policies
- Business Management – Communication:
- Ability to communicate in a clear, concise and unambiguous manner both through written and verbal communication; to tailor messages and choose communication methods depending on the audience
- Ability to manage communications internally and externally, through media, social media and other appropriate channels
- Partnership Management – Resource Mobilization:
- Ability to allocate and use resources in a strategic or tactical way in line with principles of accountability and integrity
- Postgraduate university (Master) degree in international relations, international development, communications or related field.
- A minimum of 2 years experience in the field of international development, communications or a related field or equivalent professional experience
- Demonstrated experience in strategic communications or public relations, media, advocacy and social media
- Demonstrated ability to work well in a team as well as to take independent initiative
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in Norwegian and English
- Demonstrated ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Computer literate in standard software applications and ability to use current social media and web 2.0 tools
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP, and partner organizations:
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
Desired skills in addition to the competencies covered in the Competencies section
- Previous work experience working with UNDP/UN an asset
- Experience with meeting coordination and logistical support
- Excellent understanding of international development issues and knowledge of the UN system
- Demonstrated knowledge of public information and advocacy techniques
- Practical experience of working with InDesign and video editing an advantage
- Fluency in spoken and written English and Norwegian
The following documents shall be required from the applicants:
- Personal CV or P11, indicating all past positions held and their main underlying functions, their durations (month/year), the qualifications, as well as the contact details (email and telephone number) of the Candidate, and at least three (3) the most recent professional references of previous supervisors. References may also include peers.
- A cover letter (maximum length: 1 page) indicating why the candidate considers him-/herself to be suitable for the position.
- Managers may ask (ad hoc) for any other materials relevant to pre-assessing the relevance of their experience, such as reports, presentations, publications, campaigns or other materials
Apply for job
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (tendersglobal.net) you saw this posting.