Harvard Medical School
The Harvard Medical School Office for Diversity Inclusion and Community Partnership (DICP) works to advance diversity inclusion in health, biomedical, behavioral, and STEM fields, building individual and institutional capacity to achieve excellence, foster innovation, and ensure equity in health locally, nationally, and globally. DICP supports this mission through interconnected programs that focus on specific aspects of the career pathway from K-12 to leadership, including attending to points of transition, as well as creating policies and practices designed to build a sustainable culture of inclusive excellence.
DICP is hiring a Communications Manager to help raise the profile of the department and its resources, programs, collaborative work, and impact. The incumbent will strategize, plan, and execute the department’s print and digital communications, including newsletters, websites, social media channels, outreach initiatives, and programmatic and event marketing. The Communications Manager will lead a range of projects related to branding, writing and storytelling, website content, and design. The ideal candidate will possess superb communications skills as a writer, editor, and proofreader with particular experience in short-form writing for general audiences on a variety of high-visibility platforms.
Responsibilities DICP website :
- Responsible for day-to-day management of the DICP website. Generate and revise web pages, create and modify appearance and setting of site, format content on web pages, and work closely with consultants on website design.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of HMS and University policies and procedures as they pertain to web function, in consultation with the Office of Communications and External Relations (OCER). Examine and analyze site traffic, test different browsers, and ensure people with different computers/devices can access the website.
- Ensure site is functioning properly and is updated to reflect current (and past) programs, events, announcements, photos, news articles, etc.
- Perform regular reviews to ensure optimal website performance and fix broken links and resolve issues with images. Interface with internal and external teams.
- Write, edit, and create frequent short-form editorial deliverables for web, email, and social channels.
- Work closely with DICP leadership team to strengthen and execute an overarching communications strategy to expand DICP’s public reach and profile.
- Develop approaches for assessing the effectiveness of DICP communications/engagement strategies.
- Manage DICP social media accounts in accordance with HMS and University guidelines and best practices.
- Manage DICP mailing and distribution list for event publicity and promotion.
- Lead efforts to track engagement and other analytics for email sends, social media, and news coverage.
- Track user experience and suggest improvements.
- Research and adopt new and emerging communications trends and tools in a dynamic environment.
- Partner with colleagues in OCER to ensure maximum integration of DICP communications strategy within wider HMS communications strategies.
- Perform additional duties as assigned.
5 or more years of experience in communication or related field. A degree in a relevant field may count towards experience.
Additional Qualifications and Skills
Bachelor’s degree preferred. Relevant professional experience in non-profit, educational, or broadcast communications; journalism; web content development; or related field. Understanding of web and database standards and protocols, as well as digital and traditional marketing and media disciplines.
- Demonstrated ability to produce and create high-quality, effective, short-form, and optimized writing for broad audiences on multiple platforms, including web, social, email, and print materials.
- Experience in web design a plus.
- Care and discernment in creating communications materials of the highest quality, with a love of precise, evocative language and an appreciation for storytelling.
- A strong work ethic and resolute integrity.
- Excellent interpersonal skills that resonate with diverse audiences.
- Experience and knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, FileMaker Pro, WordPress, web, and database/mailing list standards and protocols.
- Able to work independently and as part of a team, multi-task, work under pressure to meet deadlines, adapt and pick up new techniques.
- Be creative and imaginative.
- Exercise independent judgment in interpreting and applying procedures to specific cases.
- Demonstrate an ability to communicate with highly diverse groups of people and exhibit sensitivity to cultural differences.
To be considered for this position, applicants must submit their resume, a cover letter describing their relevant experience and interest in this position, and three writing samples.
This position is based in Boston and some in-person on-campus work will be required, and flexible/remote work is an option. Any remote work must be performed in a state in which Harvard is registered to do business (CA*, CT, GA, IL, MA, MD, ME, NH, NJ, NY, RI, VA, VT, and WA). Individual flexible and remote work options for this role will be discussed during the interview process. *Note: Harvard employees working in California must be exempt.
The University requires all Harvard community members to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and remain up to date with COVID-19 vaccine boosters, as detailed in Harvard’s Vaccine & Booster Requirements . Individuals may claim exemption from the vaccine requirement for medical or religious reasons. More information regarding the University’s COVID vaccination requirement, exemptions, and verification of vaccination status may be found at the University’s “COVID-19 Vaccine Information” webpage: http://www.harvard.edu/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine-information/ .
Please note that we are currently conducting a majority of interviews and onboarding remotely and virtually. We appreciate your understanding.
Harvard University offers an outstanding benefits package including:
- Time Off: 3 – 4 weeks paid vacation, paid holiday break, 12 paid sick days, 12.5 paid holidays, and 3 paid personal days per year.
- Medical/Dental/Vision: We offer a variety of excellent medical plans, dental & vision plans, all coverage begins as of your start date.
- Retirement: University-funded retirement plan with full vesting after 3 years of service.
- Tuition Assistance Program: Competitive tuition assistance program, incredibly affordable classes directly at the Harvard Extension School, and discounted options through participating Harvard grad schools.
- Transportation: Harvard offers a 50% discounted MBTA pass as well as additional options to assist employees in their daily commute.
- Wellness options: Harvard offers programs and classes at little or no cost, including stress management, massages, nutrition, meditation, and complementary health services.
- Harvard access to athletic facilities, libraries, campus events, and many discounts throughout metro Boston.
The Harvard Medical School is not able to provide visa sponsorship for this position.
Not ready to apply? Join our talent community to keep in touch and learn about future opportunities!
USA – MA – Boston
405004 Comm Professional (N)
Diversity Inclusion and Community Partnership
55 – Hvd Union Cler & Tech Workers
35 hrs. per week tendersglobal.net Monday – Friday tendersglobal.net 9:00 am – 5:00 pm
Commitment to Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging
We are committed to cultivating an inclusive workplace culture of faculty, staff, and students with diverse backgrounds, styles, abilities, and motivations. We appreciate and leverage the capabilities, insights, and ideas of all individuals. Harvard Medical School Mission and Community Values
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.
View or Apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email – cover/motivation letter where (tendersglobal.net) you saw this job posting.