Opening for Consultancy- Partnership Communications Consultant – Strategic Partnerships Branch
Contract Type: Part-time Consultancy (25 hours a week for 7 months)
Closing Date: 7 October 2022 05:00 PM EST
Duty Station: Home-based
Scope of Work:
The Partnership Visibility, Communication and Advocacy Consultant is located within the Strategic Partnerships Branch (SPB) of the Division for Communications and Strategic Partnerships. The SPB is a dynamic team in charge of the corporate effort to ambitiously expand partnerships with private strategic partners, positioning UNFPA as the leading UN Agency on sexual and reproductive health and rights and the global agenda for Women and Girls.
The purpose of consultancy is to is to support the Technical Division of UNFPA in scaling up visibility communications and advocacy around the Global Midwifery Programme under the Maternal and Newborn Health Thematic Fund (MHTF), with a particular focus on supporting communications for the AIME: Alliance for Improving Midwifery Education global partnership funded by Johnson &Johnson and managed by UNFPA’s midwifery team. The consultant will report to the Global Foundations and Philanthropy Specialist in the Strategic Partnerships Branch of UNFPA. They will also serve as the primary partnership visibility and communications focal point for the Sexual and Reproductive Health Branch in the Technical Divison of UNFPA so will work closely with the Senior Technical Advisor and Technical Specialist, Midwifery in this team.
Within the broad scope of work as outlined above, the consultant is expected to deliver accurate activities on a timely basis throughout the consultancy period. Specific deadlines, reports and deliverables will be on need basis and communicated accordingly.
During the term of this consultancy, incumbent will be expected to perform the following activities:
- Develop a global communications and advocacy strategy for the Global Midwifery Programme UNFPA for 2022 – 2023.
- Identify and create relevant visibility, communications and advocacy products to support the team’s aims, and reach relevant audiences including an e-news magazine on midwifery.
- Develop and/or update key midwifery messages from major technical journals such as The Lancet, World Health Organization publications, and the State of the World’s Midwifery Report 2021.
- Develop a strategic plan and create high-quality visibility and communication materials for the AIME global partnership including the development of social media and website content, media materials, global advocacy brochures etc.
- Support with the development of midwifery presentations, briefing notes and speaking notes, and delivery of webinars.
- Support visualization of the annual AIME midwifery report
- Design graphics in InDesign and Canva to correspond with public-facing messages and social media activities.
- Support with communications planning around major global midwifery events, workshops and conferences in 2022 and 2023. This will include social media messaging and event planning.
- Update midwifery pages on the UNFPA global website.
- Liaise regularly with the supervisors, colleagues in SPB and the Media and Communication Branch of UNFPA.
- Liaise with external designers, editors and agencies in collaboration with the midwifery team and SPB.
- Support ad hoc partnership, visibility and communication work as requested.
Expected Travel: None
Required Expertise and Qualifications
- An advanced degree in Communications, Marketing, Journalism, or any related field. In the absence of any degree, a diploma or certificate in communications is required or proven experience of 3-5 years in the field of communications in lieu.
Knowledge and Experience:
- At least 4 years of experience in communications and advocacy.
- Minimum of 2 years of progressively responsible professional project management or related strategic communications, marketing and branding, public relations experience at the international level
- Basic graphic design skills are essential, in addition to experience with website development
- Demonstrated experience managing communications projects or creative campaigns
- Excellent analytical skills and proven ability to solve problems creatively and independently
- Highly organized, resourceful, detail-oriented and able to juggle competing priority deadlines and work well in a team
- Sensitivity to the issues addressed by UNFPA and the wider UN system
- Experience in maternal health communications and working with health care professionals is desirable
- Understanding of G Suite (Google apps for business) is desirable.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Ability to think critically and logically.
- Excellent writing and communication skills in English.
- Fluency in English; knowledge of a second UN language is an asset
How to Apply:
Please send a motivational cover letter (no more than 2 pages) and CV to [email protected] with “Communications Consultant” in the subject to by 7 October 2022 at 05:00 PM EST. In addition to the motivational cover letter and CV, please submit two writing samples and one graphic design sample.
Due to the volume of applications received, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Disclaimer: UNFPA does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Fraudulent notices, letters or offers may be submitted to the UNFPA fraud hotline http://www.unfpa.org/help/hotline.cfm UNFPA provides a work environment that reflects the values of gender equality, teamwork, Embracing diversity in all its forms, integrity and a healthy balance of work and life. We are committed to maintaining our balanced gender distribution and therefore encourage women to apply. UNFPA promotes equal opportunities for all including persons with disabilities.