Founded in 1983, the Red Cross EU Office is a partnership between 29 National Red Cross Societies
of the EU/EEA and the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies.
The Red Cross EU Office helps to coordinate relations between its members organisations and EU decision-makers and stakeholders, sharing their extensive experiences and expertise in supporting vulnerable people and communities within and outside the EU. Based on our members’ practical insights and technical experience, we promote the dignity and wellbeing of vulnerable people by facilitating and voicing common positions and recommendations towards the EU and its Member States. We also monitor European developments that could impact the implementation of our members’ work, as well as supporting them to prepare joint proposals to access EU funding.
Purpose of the consultancy
The consultant is meant to support the Red Cross EU Office (RCEU), National Red Cross Societies in the EU, Norway and Iceland, and the International Federation of Red Cross Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) in developing their joint approach to Humanitarian Diplomacy (HD), which should enable them to carry out HD/advocacy activities as a joint effort.
The consultancy should develop a training based on modules, enabling RCEU staff to guide, support and train their membership on EU–level Humanitarian Diplomacy by:
- Developing a training guide/manual for RCEU, adapted to reach our goals and based on the Red Cross principles and on the needs of the RCEU members
- Building RCEU practical capacities and knowledge to support and train members on Humanitarian Diplomacy towards the EU.
For more information, including the methodology required for the work and the proposed timeline, see the Terms of Reference. A list of deliverables, containing details on the training material which should include a simplified version to be published online, an elaborate guidance for trainers and a first training targeted towards RCEU staff, is also available in the Terms of References. Moreover, the document contains a proposed timeline, including the number of estimated working days per activity (we roughly estimate a workload of two months spread across the last quarter of 2022 and the first months of 2023).
Profile of the candidate
- Strong advocacy and training experience, demonstrated by relevant previous assignments
- Extensive knowledge of the EU decision making process and experience in civil society advocacy at EU level
- Proven experience in writing training materials on EU–related matters, especially for operational actors in the field
- Experience in relevant RCEU work areas (humanitarian aid/development cooperation/civil protection, migration and asylum, social inclusion) and/or civil society, preferably in dialogue with EU institutions
- Good communication skills, including ability to explain scenarios while avoiding complex wording and EU jargon
- Ability to work quickly and deliver products, in line with agreed timeframes, with accuracy and attention to detail, ensuring continuous communication with the Red Cross EU Office and National Red Cross Societies
- Excellent English writing and speaking skills
- Knowledge of the Red Cross Red Crescent Movement is an added value
Terms and Conditions
The consultant/researcher will be expected to be based in Brussels (no reimbursement for travel costs), work independently and coordinate with the Red Cross EU Office team leading on the Strategic Humanitarian Diplomacy work and related training materials.
For more information, please check the Terms of Reference here.
Please send your CV (max. two pages), a cover letter (max. one page) and a brief proposal (max. 2 pages) for the project outlining the process of the consultancy work, the methodology, the budget (more information in the Terms of Reference) and overall rate associated accordingly to the identified timeframe, in English to [email protected] by midnight CET, 24 October 2022.
The file names must include first your full name and then the job title. The email subject must include the position name “HD Consultancy Offer” only.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview. The starting date will be discussed in the interview depending on the adapted timeline.
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email/cover letter where (tendersglobal.net) you saw this job posting.