Working at Oxfam
For Oxfam Pilipinas
Philippine Nationals Only
*** This is an urgent recruitment and applications will be reviewed as we receive them.
Oxfam is a global movement of people working together to end the injustice of poverty.
The increasing number of humanitarian projects using the Anticipatory Action (AA) approach is a welcome development in the Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Framework. In the Philippines, this community of practice has grown to around 191 AA interventions in 113 municipalities and cities, implemented by some 32 organizations and their development partners. In years of modeling, organizations have developed evidence of the significance of AA in the lives of vulnerable families and individuals.
Oxfam Pilipinas and its partners have adopted AA in the development and humanitarian intervention. The evolving concept from Forecast-based Financing (FbF) in 2017, until its present understanding of AA in disaster preparedness. Since 2019, the development of hazard-specific Anticipatory Actions and science-based triggers specifically for floods, typhoons, and droughts are some of the remarkable accomplishments of Oxfam’s AA programming. For the SUPPA 2 project alone, the project management was able to document four (4) AA activations and consolidate learnings on asset protection, and policy support.
This initiative aims to consolidate the knowledge and learning of ECHO Funded Actions on Anticipatory Action and Rapid Response Mechanism. Thus, the said consolidation will focus on the completed and ongoing AA and RRM projects and initiatives specifically; the Strengthening Urban Preparedness, through Scaling up of pre-emptive actions and emergency Response in Cities of Cotabato and Kidapawan (SUPPA 1&2), Strengthening Resilience through Early Warning System, Enhanced Anticipatory Actions and Multi-Risk Landscape Approach in BARMM (SUPREME-BARMM), UN FAO’s AA under Programmatic Partnership and CARE-led consortium ACCESS.
 UN-OCHA. (2023). Philippines Anticipatory Action Interventions (Issue August, p. 2023).
 Anticipation Hub (2023). Forecast-based financing in the Philippines Closing the gap between disaster risk reduction and emergency relief https://www.anticipation-hub.org/experience/anticipatory-action-in-the-world/philippines/forecast-based-financing-fbf-in-the-philippines
Scope of Work
Specifically, the consultant is expected to:
1. Produce the collective AA and RRM strategy paper based on the results of the AA-RRM Knowledge Consolidation Workshops of ECHO-funded Projects to be conducted on November 22-23, 2023 and Nov 27-28, 2023 in Manila and Davao City respectively. The paper aims to document the collective strategy of ECHO partners in its roll out of AA and RRM in the Philippines. Content of the paper will include:
- a common definition and understanding of AA and RRM
- the process undertaken by ECHO partners in the development and operationalization of AA and RRM with partner communities and government
- humanitarian principles and standards that guided the AA and RRM development, implementation and learning
- Challenges faced and actions taken by ECHO partners, communities and government in the roll out of AA and RRM
- Collective ways forward to further support sustainability of AA and RRM actions in the Philippines
2. At the start of the consultancy, a proposed outline and structure of the paper will be submitted to Oxfam for discussion with the representatives of the ECHO inter-consortium partners for finalization.
3. The consultant is required to attend the consolidation workshops to be held in Manila and Davao City to document the sharing and discussion of ECHO partners. Information that will be shared and discussed in the workshops will be the consultant’s main source of data in the development of the paper. Oxfam will cover travel and accommodations of the consultant for the two workshops.
4. Conduct additional online interviews and gather reference materials with ECHO partners per the recommendation of Oxfam to support the content of the paper.
5. A draft narrative report will be submitted by the consultant to the hiring manager for review by Oxfam and representatives of the ECHO inter-consortium partners for finalization by the consultant based on comments and recommendations on the draft.
6. Submit the approved final paper to Oxfam and all other references, documents, photos used in the final paper.
The Consultant is expected to be organized and keen in the process of consolidating all information as gathered during the two learning workshops and additional data and references collected to ECHO members. S/he will ensure submission of high quality written document, in a timely manner and in compliance with the quality standards required by Oxfam.
- Bachelor’s degree with at least 3 years of relevant work experience
- Has a strong background and knowledge of Anticipatory Action and Rapid Response Mechanism
- Demonstrable experience in conducting high-quality technical written output
- Familiar with the humanitarian, AA and DRR programs and projects
- Has good verbal and written communication skills, and the ability to prepare high quality written document in a clear and concise manner
- Can provide advice and respond to queries and clarifications from Oxfam and partners
- Deep knowledge of Oxfam’s AA and RRM model
Period of Engagement
The duration of engagement is from November 16, 2023, until December 31, 2023, subject to extension per mutual agreement between the Consultant and the Hiring Manager.
Adhere to Oxfam’s principles and values as well as the promotion of gender justice and women’s rights.
Perform priority organizational tasks related to his/her competencies as may be assigned from time to time.
Accountability – Our purpose-driven, results-focused approach means we take responsibility for our actions and hold ourselves accountable. We believe that others should also be held accountable for their actions
Empowerment – Our approach means that everyone involved with Oxfam, from our staff and supporters to people living in poverty, should feel they can make change happen
Inclusiveness – We are open to everyone and embrace diversity. We believe everyone has a contribution to make, regardless of visible and invisible differences.
Our values and commitment to safeguarding
Oxfam is committed to preventing any type of unwanted behaviour at work including sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse, lack of integrity and financial misconduct; and promoting the welfare of children, young people and adults. Oxfam expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment through our code of conduct. We place a high priority on ensuring that only those who share and demonstrate our values are recruited to work for us.
Note: All offers of consultancy will be subject to satisfactory references and appropriate screening checks, which can include criminal records and terrorism finance checks.
Apply For This Role
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (tendersglobal.net) you saw this job posting.