Located in a historic neighborhood in the nation’s capital, Georgetown offers rigorous academic programs, a global perspective, exciting ways to take advantage of Washington, D.C., and a commitment to social justice. Our community is a tight knit group of remarkable individuals interested in intellectual inquiry and making a difference in the world.
Custodian, Facilities Management – Main Campus – Georgetown University
Georgetown University is seeking a Custodian to join our team.
Position #: 127675
Full-time: 40 hours
Schedule: 7:00 am – 3:30 pm, Monday – Friday
Pay: $17.10 per hour (effective January 2023)
Location: Main Campus, 3700 “O” Street, Washington, DC
The Custodian performs general and specific cleaning and maintenance tasks to provide a clean, safe and pleasant physical environment. Duties include but are not limited to:
- Cleans administrative spaces, laboratories and classrooms – to include but not limited to spot cleaning and shampooing carpets and upholstery using the acceptable method of cleaning, dusting and mopping floors, cleaning interior sills of exterior windows, cleaning interior and outside at ground level of exterior windows, and removing litter from planters and other spaces.
- Cleans bathrooms – for example, toilets, urinals, bathtubs, shower stalls, shower curtains top to bottom, shower walls top to bottom, grout, bathroom floors, walls and partitions top to bottom, sink, mirrors top to bottom; dusts and cleans supply and return vents; and replace burned out light bulbs.
- Cleans hallways, entrance ways, stairways and elevators; vacuums and spot-cleans carpets and upholstery – to include but not limited to freeing carpets of rips and strings, cleaning all surfaces and removing water marks and smudges, cleaning and dusting lamp shades and bulbs, emptying or sifting ash urns, cleaning and polishing brass fixtures and rails, pulling trash and cleaning trash receptacles, cleaning elevator tracks, and sweeping and mopping floors free of debris and dirt.
- Suggests improvements in service to improve unit operations, and provides supervisors and department management with advice and suggestions regarding work methods, procedures, parts, tools and related matters for the purpose of improving the effectiveness and cost of service.
- Performs other tasks as assigned in emergency or unusual situations, in accordance with specific guidance from supervisor – for example, removal of snow and ice, clean up associated with water or fire damage, and special event support.
- Ability move 25 to 50 pounds of weight
- Ability to walk or stand with operation of controls
- Availability and willingness to work during emergency situations such as staffing shortages and campus closures
- Valid DC, VA or MD driver’s license
- High school diploma or equivalent
- One year of custodial work experience
The candidate selected for the Custodian position must complete a training program in building cleaning.
Essential Designation The Custodian is designated as an essential position, requiring the incumbent to report to work during inclement weather at the regularly scheduled time, regardless of whether the University is closed, opening late, or closing early.
Work Mode: On Campus. Please note that work mode designations are regularly reviewed in order to meet the evolving needs of the University. Such review may necessitate a change to a position’s mode of work designation. Complete details about Georgetown University’s mode of work designations for staff and AAP positions can be found at Mode of Work Designation .
Current Georgetown Employees:
If you currently work at Georgetown University, please exit this website and login to GMS (gms.georgetown.edu ) using your Net ID and password. Then select the Career worklet on your GMS Home dashboard to view Jobs at Georgetown.
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any position at Georgetown University you must submit a cover letter and resume for each position of interest for which you believe you are qualified. These documents are not kept on file for future positions.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please click here for more information, or contact the Office of Institutional Diversity, Equity, and Affirmative Action (IDEAA) at 202-687-4798 or [email protected] .
Need some assistance with the application process? Please call 202-687-2500. For more information about the suite of benefits, professional development and community involvement opportunities that make up Georgetown’s commitment to its employees, please visit the Georgetown Works website .
Georgetown University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer fully dedicated to achieving a diverse faculty and staff. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, and sexual orientation), disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law .
Georgetown University offers a comprehensive and competitive benefit package that includes medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance, retirement savings, tuition assistance, work-life balance benefits, employee discounts and an array of voluntary insurance options. You can learn more about benefits and eligibility on the Department of Human Resources website .
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirements:
The Georgetown University community is committed to our public health approach and the important role that vaccines play in contributing to the safety of our University and our broader communities. Georgetown University requires students, faculty, staff and visitors to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and to have received a COVID-19 vaccine booster shot when eligible, or to have an approved medical or religious exemption. This requirement applies to all faculty and staff, including teleworking employees. Complete details and updates can be found in the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Resource Center .
View or Apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email – cover/motivation letter where (tendersglobal.net) you saw this job posting.