We are looking for an experienced PMO professional with direct, hands-on experience to manage
the Digital Technology Project Management Office. This person will report to the Head of
Technology – Delivery & Production and manage a small team responsible for ensuring the
day-to-day management of the pipeline of work through Digital Technology. Ensuring the work is
understood, accurately sized, prioritised and governed in line with RSPB policies and best
They will be responsible for establishing and ensuring projects delivered by Digital Technology
comply with the PMO standards and procedures and providing insight to senior management to help
make strategic decisions around project priorities, risk, issues, resource management and
corrective action plans.
The individual will be responsible for defining and driving performance improvement across the
key processes within the PMO; e.g. planning & estimating, prioritisation, resource
management and scheduling of the delivery of the agreed pipeline.
While the role is not directly responsible for the delivery of projects or the line management
of project managers, the DT PMO Manager will need to actively work with project and programme
managers to ensure robust project management practices are being followed.
This role is part of our Digital Technology Delivery & Production team, which consists of
Programme Managers, Project Managers, Scrum Masters and the Digital Project Management Office,
manages the delivery of key technical projects, acts as an interface between technology and
business stakeholders, supports the delivery and benefits realisation of the RSPB Technology
Portfolio meeting the brand values and business strategy.
This role by its nature requires an individual who is from a digital or technology delivery
background with a strong understanding of delivery methodologies and best-practice in the
discipline of establishing and running an effective project management office. It requires
someone who is emotionally intelligent to negotiate working with strong stakeholders and
various teams across the RSPB.
- Leadership of the Digital Technology PMO function including managing, motivating and
developing a small team.
- Establish and track against Delivery KPIs, budgets and other constraints to deliver a
- Ensure communication to senior management across the organisation in relation to the PMO
remit, roles & responsibilities, processes and value is clear, targeted, appropriate and
- Provide reporting and insight to the organisation where required, and to Departmental
Leadership Team as requested.
- Ensure risks are effectively captured and managed within the DT PMO function, aligned with
audit and the wider organisation.
- As the team is currently quite small, the DT PMO Manager will also need to actively engage
with the day-to-day operational activities in the DT PMO. This will not be a purely hands-off
Governance & Advisory
- Establish processes, standards and guidelines around Technology project delivery and work
with the delivery teams, and senior management responsible for project delivery, to ensure the
governance framework is being correctly applied by projects.
- Coordinate and run delivery and governance meetings and provide insight that drives action.
- Work alongside senior management to identify where projects are at risk of slippage against
schedule or budget or have risks and issues which are not being fully addressed.
- Conduct project audits to ensure projects are structured and managed appropriately to
successfully manage the risk of not delivering to time, cost and quality.
- Provide ad-hoc analytical support to ensure that Digital Technology achieves goals set by
the Digital Technology Leadership Team.
- Work with other department leads within Digital Technology to roll out new processes and
improvements to existing delivery methodologies.
Key Criteria & Experience
- Proven track record in project and programme delivery including strong Agile, establishing
best practices, mentoring teams and stakeholders
- In-depth understanding of Agile and its relationship to project governance and controls
- In-depth experience of core project and programme management frameworks (MSP, Prince 2,
APM, Agile and SAFe)
- Demonstrable experience of prioritisation techniques
This is a Permanent role for 37.5 hours per week. Our technology teams are all fully remote and
flexibility is offered to all employees.
We are looking to conduct interviews for this position as soon as the right candidate presents
themselves. Previous applicants for this role, please do not reapply.
For further information don’t hesitate to get in touch with [email protected]. (No
As part of this application process, you will be asked to provide a copy of your CV and
complete an application form including evidence of how you meet the skills, knowledge, and
experience listed above.
The RSPB is an equal opportunities employer. This role is covered by the Rehabilitation of
Offenders Act 1974.
Find out more & apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email/cover letter where (tendersglobal.net) you saw this internship posting.