Free to Run
Free to Run’s mission is to drive change in community gender norms in conflict areas by supporting adolescent girls and young women to develop their leadership and wellness through running. We are a registered nongovernmental organization that has been operating community-led programs for migrants and ethnic minority populations in Iraq, Afghanistan, Democratic Republic of Congo, South Sudan and Hong Kong since 2014. We deliver long-term, youth-led, progressive running, leadership, rights and health programs directly to individuals (ages 10-24) to build assets and social access. However, the longer term impact of our work is building enduring social change – decreasing barriers to public participation, increasing women in leadership and making power structures more equitable and inclusive. The organization is in a position of significant growth, in terms of our strategy, reach, impact and operating budget.
The Program Officer implements and coordinates Free to Run activities in Duhok, in close coordination with, and reporting to Senior program Officer. The position is part time capacity.
- Implementing the day-to-day activities of Free to Run’s program areas in Duhok, including through:
- Organizing and leading running and physical activities in Duhok (liaising with participant’s families; liaising with, and supporting, volunteers; direct training of team during running sessions; coordinating team drivers; tracking participants’ attendance and performance; coordinating volunteer schedules; translation (Arabic – English); liaising with camp management and implementing partners where appropriate)
- Supporting hiking activities in northern Iraq (liaising with participant’s families, coordinating participants and team drivers; reimbursing transportation costs where appropriate; tracking participants; and organizing photos and feedback stories)
- Developing and maintaining relationships with local authorities, volunteer groups, relevant community-based organizations, and partner NGOs
- Engaging in regular dialogue, as appropriate, with members of the community, including family members of participants
- Working with the Senior Program Officer and local partner organization on establishing volunteer projects for program participants and overseeing their implementation on a regular basis
- Leading Life Skills through Sports curriculum sessions for program participants under the guidance of the Senior Program Officer
- Managing program funds for Duhok team activities (maintain records; receive and disburse funds; obtain receipts; manage petty cash)
- Coordinating transportation and communication with program drivers
- Supporting Free to Run’s social media strategy (providing photos and human-interest stories in line with Free to Run’s communications policy)
- Assisting Free to Run’s Senior Program Officer with training new staff members and other responsibilities as needed
- Preparing and submitting timely and quality financial and narrative reports
- Supporting monitoring and evaluation of programs, including leading survey implementation, focus group discussions, parent interviews, etc.
- Planning and attending events during Free to Run programmatic cycle, including Sports Weeks activities, and working closely with the Senior Program Officer to compile and purchase materials, events logistics, and participant outreach.**
- Providing logistical support for visits of Free to Run board members and partners to Iraq
- Interacting with partners in Iraq as instructed by Free to Run’s Senior Program Officer and Executive Director
- Tracking attendance for participants
- Translation help, as required, from Kurdish/Arabic- English and English-Kurdish/Arabic
- Assistance with developing annual and monthly work plans and ensuring team’s adherence
Location (Duty Station)
The Program Officer position is based in Duhok. Occasional coordination travels within KRI may occur depending on program need.
The Program Officer position is a part -time role, estimated at 20 hours per week. Due to the nature of the organization’s business, hours may fluctuate outside regular core hours (9:00 am-13:00 pm), with the possibility of some nights or weekends, depending on the needs of the organization.
Based on experience. Aligned with market rate in Kurdistan and Iraq
Education, Experience and Competencies
Below is what we are looking for as we evaluate applications. Candidates don’t need to have all these experiences and competencies but should be able to display strengths across multiple areas.
Education: Bachelor degree in Social Work, Public Health, International Development, or another relevant field of study preferred
Language: Proficiency in written and spoken command of English and in Arabic is required and Knowledge Kurdish is preferred.
- 2 years of professional experience in community development and program implementation in relevant field (NGOs, business for social good, activism, community organizing)
- Experience in leading a team, group or projects.
- Good Knowledge and experience regarding gender mainstreaming
- Experience with non-profit organizations and governmental ministries
Skills and Competencies
- Ability to conduct integrity, take ownership of own work and be goal oriented.
- Ability to work independently and against multiple deadlines.
- Organized, able to multi-task and a creative problem solver
- Ability to coordinate logistics and implement action plans
- Ability to learn quickly
- Proficient in written communication skills and use of MS Office
- Iraqi citizenship or permanent residency in Iraq
Free to Run is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We don’t just accept differences — we celebrate, support and thrive on them for the benefit of our team, our programs, and our organizational strength. We are proud to be an affirmative action employer, committed to diversity, equity and inclusion of ALL people in our hiring and employment practices. We encourage applications from people who have non-dominant identities based on race, ethnicity, migration status, ability, age, gender identity, sexual orientation, socioeconomic class, etc.
To Apply for this Position: Interested applicants can apply for the position by filling the form in the below link
providing essential information and uploading cover letters and CV/resume in PDF. The deadline for submission of application is 20 January 2023
Please note: Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Apply for this job
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (tendersglobal.net) you saw this job posting.