WFP - World Food Programme
WFP celebrates and embraces diversity. It is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all its employees and encourages qualified candidates to apply irrespective of race, color, national origin, ethnic or social background, genetic information, gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, religion or belief, HIV status, physical or mental disability.
Job Title: Earth Observation Analyst
Type of Contract: Consultancy
Division: Climate & Earth Observation Unit (RAM)
Duty Station (City, Country): Home-based
Duration: 6 months
BACKGROUND AND PURPOSE OF THE ASSIGNMENT:
The World Food Programme (WFP) is the world’s largest humanitarian agency, fighting hunger worldwide. In coordination with the Climate and Earth Observation Unit (RAMAC), the Asset Creation and Livelihoods Unit (PROR_L) is undertaking a project to monitor and evaluate asset building outcomes of the extensive Food For Assets (FFA) class of WFP intervention (https://www.wfp.org/food-assets).VHR data is used to monitor completion of the FFA projects and this is followed by analysis of high-resolution data (Sentinel-2) to monitor the longer-term impacts of the assets being built.
FFA is one of WFP’s key tools for providing food assistance to the most vulnerable. Using food, vouchers or cash transfers, FFA gets communities participating in activities such as repairing irrigation systems, setting up community granaries, building bridges, soil conservation and afforestation. While the food security outcomes of FFA initiatives are routinely monitored and its evaluation well understood and routinely undertaken, the same cannot be said about the monitoring of the community-built assets planned by each FFA project. AIMS (Asset Impact Monitoring from Space) is an Earth Observation based service used to monitor asset building outcomes of FFA projects. We are currently seeking support from a Geospatial professional to manage map production for the AIMS Service, including the creation of static and interactive GIS products. They will be responsible for developing guidance on the AIMS interactive platform and delivering trainings to non-GIS CO and RB users. The consultant will support the technical analysis and data management activities of AIMS, undertaking other remote sensing related tasks as required for the assessments and other on-going activities of RAM.
The Earth Observation Analyst will be responsible for the following activities:
- Manage the AIMS Service map production, creating static and interactive GIS products;
- Maintain the AIMS Platform online map & report repository;
- Develop guidance and deliver training sessions to COs and RBs on the AIMS interactive platform;
- Maintain storage and management of geospatial data and derived analytical products;
- Support on the technical analysis, the analytical briefs and data management activities;
- Support linkages of RAMAC’s OpenDataCube cloud system to ESRI-based corporate systems;
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
DELIVERABLES QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
Advanced University degree in physical geography, environmental science, physics or a related field
- At least 2 years of experience in high quality cartographic design and creation of static and interactive GIS products; geo-information management; training non-GIS users on GIS applications.
- Expert knowledge of ArcGIS Online
Knowledge and Skills:
- Expert knowledge of the ESRI suite, particularly ArcGIS online and ArcGIS Pro.
• Familiarity with Cloud Computing Platforms (i.e. Amazon Web Services etc).
• Good knowledge of mobile data collection tools.
• Good presentation and team working skills, with the ability to follow and develop a given scope of work.
• Knowledge of early warning and remote sensing and familiarity with the specialty software applications associated with them;
Strong written and oral English skills (proficiency/level C)
Terms and Conditions:
WFP offers a competitive compensation package which will be determined by the contract type and selected candidate’s qualifications and experience.
Please visit the following websites for detailed information on working with WFP.
http://www.wfp.org Click on: “Our work” and “Countries” to learn more about WFP’s operations.
Deadline for applications: 13 January 2023
Ref.: VA No. 221852
WFP has a zero-tolerance approach to conduct such as fraud, sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to WFP’s standards of conduct and will therefore undergo rigorous background verification internally or through third parties. Selected candidates will also be required to provide additional information as part of the verification exercise. Misrepresentation of information provided during the recruitment process may lead to disqualification or termination of employment
WFP will not request payment at any stage of the recruitment process including at the offer stage. Any requests for payment should be refused and reported to local law enforcement authorities for appropriate action.
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (tendersglobal.net) you saw this job posting.