Bamfield Marine Sciences Centre
For more than 50 years the Bamfield Marine Sciences Centre (BMSC), located in the traditional territories of the Huu-ay-aht First Nations, has supported year-round education and research on the west coast of Vancouver Island, British Columbia. BMSC is owned and managed by a not-for-profit organization, the Western Canadian Universities Marine Sciences Society, whose members are University of Alberta, University of British Columbia, University of Calgary, Simon Fraser University and University of Victoria. Our vision is to enable life-changing exploration and discovery in coastal and marine environments.
Our award-winning educational programs in the marine and coastal sciences include short programs for middle and high school students, multi-week courses for undergraduate and graduate credit, and multi-day workshops. Access to pristine coastal waters and forests is a hallmark of BMSC education, and the BMSC maintains a fleet of boats and a range of specialized equipment in support of hands-on experiential education and research.
The Education Manager is a full-time, regular staff position responsible for all teaching and learning programs at the BMSC. Reporting to the Director and working with the Education team, the Education Manager is responsible for the well being of students and their education at the station.
Qualifications and Experience
A degree, diploma or other professional qualification in pedagogy, education, or science-related field, MSc or PhD preferred.
Experience in managing students of a variety of ages, from middle school to university students
Excellent writing skills
Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and demonstrated ability to successfully manage staff and students. Approachable, patient, empathetic, and communicative to relate to/work with both students and other staff at the BMSC. Diverse social and cultural awareness.
Strong planning and resource allocation skills.
Ability to set priorities
Excellent resource management skills and the ability to analyze and solve problems
Experience in an academic or research environment is required.
Experience in marine environments is preferred, but not required.
Successful candidates will either have, or be willing to acquire, training in specific areas relevant to BMSC operations, including first aid, small vessel operations, laboratory safety etc.
Willingness to relocate to remote, relatively isolated coastal village
- Direct oversight and management of University Programs, Field Trips Programs, Library as well as collaborations with Communications
- Hires, develops, engages, and motivates staff in the units that report to this position. Develops an annual budget and staff plan for each unit reporting to this position.
- Works closely with the senior leadership team to develop a rolling multiyear, capital improvement and infrastructure plan and budget.
- Promote BMSC and Education Programs
- Function as the primary contact between BMSC and relevant faculties/departments at the member universities. Maintain, develop and expand these contacts
- Participate in committees to provide strategic and operational advice and identify opportunities for linkages between Education, Research, Finance and Operations
- Develop, recommend and administer guidelines, policies and procedures for our Education Programs
- Oversee renewal of permits and applications
- Regularly seek out and assist in applications for funding/grants that will benefit our programs (e.g., NSERC Promoscience, equipment and teaching grants, Canada Summer Jobs)
- Work closely with the Director and Leadership Team to ensure consistent management practices as set out in BMSC’s Working Conditions Handbook
- Collaborate with other senior staff who report to the Director
- Participate in senior management meetings and strategic planning for BMSC
- Oversee some day-to-day aspects of the Education programs
- Coordinate communication between UP and Field Trips Programs, and across Departments
Salary and Benefits
Salary to be negotiated; competitive benefits and pension plan are managed with the University of Victoria
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $58,000.00-$72,000.00 per year
- Casual dress
- Company pension
- Dental care
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Flexible schedule
- Life insurance
- Relocation assistance
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
The BMSC follows guidelines from the BC Health Authority
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Bamfield, BC: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
Work Location: One location
Expected start date: 2023-04-01
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (tendersglobal.net) you saw this job posting.