Creative Associates International is a dynamic and fast-growing professional service firm that specializes in international development in the areas of education, democratic transitions, and stabilization in post-conflict environments. Based in Washington, DC, the firm has a field presence in 30 plus countries worldwide with a strong and diverse portfolio that includes global contracts with the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) and other clients including the U.S. Department of State and the U.S. Department of Defense. The firm has earned a solid reputation among its clients and missions worldwide and is well-regarded by competitors and partners alike.
The Technical Assistance Program (TAP), funded by the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID), is a five-year education and youth program that seeks to transform the organizational culture and improve the abilities within the Ministry of Education and the Ministry of Youth to ensure officials can implement desired reforms. Creative and its partners will provide technical assistance in the development, roll-out, and tracking of policies and procedures to incorporate international best practices for public education and youth programming. Among the many activities in the Jordan Technical Assistance Program, it will support curriculum development, promote inclusive learning techniques, improve the skills of teachers and school managers, and other tangible activities that ultimately support changing the organizational culture within the two ministries and relevant agencies. The program will further support Jordan’s outreach and behavioral change communications initiatives that are aimed at creating a culture of reading, the inclusion of vulnerable children, and increased youth engagement.
In 2022, TAP, the MoE and NCCD collaborate on research on English language education in Jordan to gain insight on how to improve English language provision in Kg2-grade 12 in public schools, particularly after the COVID 19 school closures. The study used a collaborative approach engaging stakeholders throughout the study to validate findings and discuss implications. The results of the study included recommendations for teacher competences, curriculum, assessment, and policies. The results were shared, discussed, and validated in October 2022. In January 2023, the MoE, NCCD and the Ministry of Higher Education as well as implementing partners engaged in a set of meetings and working sessions to develop an action plan to integrate the recommendations of the study into policies and practices. The developed action plan has nine major tasks that will be worked on in the area of policy, teacher competences, curriculum and assessment. A task force has been identified to support and monitor the action plan.
TAP is seeking applicants for an English Subject Area Specialist. Recruitment is for one-year with the possibility of extension. The English Subject Area Specialist shall collaborate with relevant MOE departments, MoHE, NCCD, stake holders, and TAP team to implement the action plan to improve English language teaching and learning in public schools in Jordan. She/he will organize and facilitate task force meetings, ensure that specialized support and technical assistance is provided to specific tasks and/or actions of the action plan. She/he will identify and support special meetings to facilitate the collaboration between different stakeholders on tasks and activities. Furthermore, she/he will ensure that all activities are well coordinated, and key stakeholders stay informed through regular communication including updates, lessons learned and highlights of the progress on the implementation of the action plan.
- Collaborate with TAP team and international experts to guide and support different aspects for the action plan.
- Provide leadership to implementing, reviewing, and further developing the action plan to improve English language teaching and learning in public schools in Jordan.
- Conduct filed visits to inform action plan implementation.
- Facilitate regular Taskforce meetings.
- Ensure specialized support is realized on different tasks in the action plan.
- Identify and support special meetings to facilitate the coordination and collaboration among different stakeholders on tasks and activities.
- Attend specific meetings of MoE counterparts that need extra input/support.
- Support the capacity building activities of the MoE, NCCD, and MoHE teams to deliver quality English education in Jordan.
- Support planning and implementation of English Language remedial activities.
- Support the Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (MEL) activities to maintain the quality of the implementation at the central and field levels.
Key Working Relationships:
- This position will report to Senior Education Liaison Advisor and will closely work with relevant MoE departments and NCCD to facilitate and support TAP’s work.
- Bachelor’s Degree in English Language and Literature or a related field is required, an MA in English Language Teaching (TEFL) or a related field is highly desired.
- Must have at least 6+ years of general work experience and 4+ years of specific experience related to the required position.
- Must have at least 4 years of teaching English language.
- Sound experience in at least three of the areas of (English Curriculum design, content design, setting education policies, learning assessment (formative and summative), remedial approaches, and teacher professional development) is a must.
- Working experience with international agencies, NGOs, and/or government experience is highly desirable.
- Solid content knowledge and pedagogical content knowledge.
- Sound experience in English Teaching and Learning K-12 in various settings and curriculum.
- The followings are a plus:
- Intensive experience in instructional material development for face-to-face, blended, and fully online delivery method.
- Extensive knowledge on student assessment for English and curriculum development and curriculum implementation, including remedial learning strategies at the national level.
- Good knowledge in the field of education and research involving student learning assessment, pedagogical frameworks, and policy research with a particular focus on second language acquisition and remedial learning strategies.
- Experience in working with the MoE is highly desirable.
- Knowledge of the Jordan development context, challenges, and opportunities is highly desirable.
- Demonstrated ability to work with diverse stakeholders within the government and the donor community.
- Excellent report writing skills are a must.
- Proficiency with relevant computer software programs, especially MS Office.
- Proficiency in both Arabic and English languages is mandatory.
Creative Associates International Inc. is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer (gender/race/disability/veteran) and provides equal opportunity to all individuals regardless of their race, color, creed, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by state, federal, or local law.
Please view Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity Posters provided by OFCCP here.
Please note only finalists will be contacted. No phone calls please.