Universal Postal Union (UPU)
Duty Station: Bern Switzerland
Scheduled date for taking up appointment: As soon as possible
With its 192 member countries, the Universal Postal Union (UPU), a specialized agency of the United Nations, is the primary forum for cooperation between postal sector players. It helps to ensure a truly universal network of up-to-date products and services.
General mission: translate internal and official IB documents
1. Translate, on a self-revised basis, from English and Spanish into French, texts submitted to the French Translation Service (STFR) and seek the advice of the Head of French Translation Service where necessary.
2. Carry out the necessary terminological research to ensure that the final translations require minimum revision.
3. Provide drafting advice to the authors of French texts.
4. Contribute to the development of specialized terminology within the UPU.
5. Participate in occasional testing of new products available on the market.
QUALIFICATION AND SKILLS REQUIRED
Translation degree from an internationally recognized institution and/or Master’s degree
Minimum of 5 years of experience as a translator in an international organization
1. Good knowledge of the operations and areas of activity of the United Nations and its various specialized agencies
2. Command of computer-assisted translation software such as Trados
3. Good knowledge and practical experience of terminology research on the Internet or elsewhere
4. Good knowledge of office software tools (Word, PowerPoint, Excel)
5. Knowledge of databases
6. Knowledge of an electronic document management system would be an asset
Skills and abilities / competencies:
1. Ability to work independently
2. Sense of rigour
3. Ability to work under stress
4. Customer focus
5. Intellectual curiosity
French – Mother tongue
Proficiency in English and Spanish
French is the official language of the UPU. English and French are the working languages of the UPU International Bureau.
Priority shall be given for an internal promotion.
Candidates might be considered for other similar posts (for a period not exceeding one year).
The UPU is committed to encouraging diversity within its workforce. Interested candidates from minority groups and/or with disabilities are encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated equally and in the strictest confidence.
Candidates must ensure that they provide relevant contact details so that they can be contacted at any time, to prevent them from being excluded from the selection process.
Annual salary: (Net of tax)
Post adjustment: 73.5 % of the above figure(s). This percentage is to be considered as indicative since variations may occur each month either upwards or downwards due to currency exchange rate fluctuations or inflation.
The conditions of service are governed by the Staff Regulations and Rules of the International Bureau of the Universal Postal Union.
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application form.
All applications must be received by the closing date as stated in the vacancy announcement.
All applicants employed by postal entities and applying for a vacant position in the Professional (P) or Senior (D) category must be recommended and submitted through the competent postal authority.
Applications not satisfying this criterion may not be considered.
Only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted.
Applications from women and member states are particularly encouraged.
The UPU promotes diversity and work-life balance.
Apply for job
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (tendersglobal.net) you saw this job posting.