United Nations Children's Fund
UNICEF has been working in Cameroon since 1975 to allow women and children to fully realize their rights to development without restriction, as enshrined in the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child. UNICEF provides financial and technical support to Cameroon across seven areas to fully realize the rights of women and children. These areas include Health, HIV/AIDS, Water-sanitation-Hygiene, nutrition, education, child protection, and social inclusion. UNICEF focuses mainly on children and the most vulnerable and excluded families. Cameroon’s 2020 population is estimated at 26,545,863 people according to UN data. The population is young and generates strong socioeconomic demand. In rural areas, limited access to basic social services and the effects of climate change led to household impoverishment and severe child deprivations. The task is immense but not insurmountable; it requires the energy of all stakeholders in Cameroon and out of Cameroon: also, women, men, youth and children, government, technical and financial partners, donors, civil society, the private sector, parliamentarians, communities.
Within the delegated authority and under the given organizational set-up, the finance assistant may be assigned the primary, shared, or contributory accountabilities for all or part of the following areas of major duties and key end-results.
- Maintains financial records and monitoring systems to record and reconcile expenditures, balances, payments, statements and other data for day-to-day transactions and reports. Code and record receipts and payments, assures accuracy of computation and completeness of documents, and maintains continuing status of allotments against obligations. Updates data base system on files management. Retains and disposes financial records in accordance with UNICEF’s retention policy on financial documents.
- Prepare recurring reports on assigned accounts, noting problems resulting from excess cost or less-than-expected receipts. Prepare special reports to clarify problems or for other reasons. Calculate and compile cost estimates and projected budget requirements and assists in preparation of budget statements for area of assignment.
- Reviews travel-related invoices and initiates the payment process. Monitors house bank GL daily for payments for manual processing. Acts on payments to be processed through the main house bank.
- Review payment supporting documents and submit payment case to Service Gateway against supporting documents and follow up until the closure of the case. Responds to queries, if any, on payment transactions have been rejected.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have:
- Completion of secondary education is required. · University degree/specialized certification/university level courses in finance, accounting, business administration or other relevant academic discipline is preferred.
- A minimum of 5 years relevant finance and accounting work experience, which includes cash handling and responsible administrative work. For this position, a bachelor’s degree from a recognized academic institution in a relevant field may replace three years of related work experience. A master’s degree may replace additional two years.
- Hands-on experience in SAP financial modules.
- Hands-on experience in office software packages and web-based management systems.
- Ability to operate calculator or other machines used to maintain accounts.
- Experience in the UN system agency or any international organization is preferred.
- Fluency in French is required. Knowledge of another official UN language (Arabic, Chinese, English, Russian or Spanish) or a local language is an asset.
Recommend your friend
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (tendersglobal.net) you saw this job posting.
Field AssociateUnited Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF)Carupano, VenezuelaCarupano, Venezuela
Manager des Finances – MaliWaterAidMaliMali
UN Women: Research and Coordination Analyst – Business TransformationUNWOMEN - United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of WomenCopenhagenCopenhagen
RFQ – Production and Installation Signage in KampalaUnited Nations Development ProgrammeAnywhereAnywhere