United Nations Development Programme
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security. Placing women’s rights at the centre of all its efforts, UN Women leads and coordinates United Nations system efforts to ensure that commitments on gender equality and gender mainstreaming translate into action throughout the world. UN Women provides strong and coherent leadership in support of Member States’ priorities and efforts, building effective partnerships with civil society and other relevant actors.
UN Women in Bangladesh supports the government to implement commitments to international normative standards on gender equality and women’s human rights. The new UN Sustainable Development Cooperation Framework (UNSDCF) for 2022-2026 was launched in 2021 and the corresponding UN Women Bangladesh Strategy Note (2022-2026), defining UN Women’s strategic engagement in Bangladesh, has also been finalized. The country strategy focuses on strengthening the national structures and mechanisms for gender mainstreaming in policies, plans and budgets; supporting efforts to prevent and eliminate violence against women; promoting women’s access to decent and safe work; promoting policies and government investment in women’s empowerment and resilience building in the context of climate change, humanitarian crisis as well as other threats to peace and security. UN Women works with a range of stakeholders in Bangladesh including the government, civil society and women’s organisations, youth, UN agencies and donors, to promote gender equality and women’s empowerment.
Under the overall guidance of the Deputy Director of Financial Management in Headquarters (HQ) and the daily supervision of the Operations Manager and working closely with the Deputy Country Representative, the Finance Associate is responsible for the execution of a wide range of financial services and administrative processes in the Country Office (CO) ensuring timeliness, efficiency and transparent use of financial resources and delivery of services in accordance with organizational financial rules, regulations, policies, procedures and approved allocations. The Finance Associate promotes a client-oriented approach consistent with UN Women rules and regulations, standard practices and guidelines.
The Finance Associate works in close collaboration with the Operations Team in the Regional Office as well as with the Operations and Programme teams in UN Women HQ for solving complex finance-related issues and information delivery.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Implement financial strategies, and adapt processes and procedures in full compliance of UN Women rules, regulations, policies, and recording and reporting systems:
- Perform duties in full compliance with UN Women financial regulations and rules, policies and standard operating procedures, including internal controls;
- Keep abreast of and ensure full compliance with amendments to International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS);
- Review and verify financial transactions, activities, and documentation; taking corrective actions as needed and reporting any unusual activities;
- Monitor financial exceptions reports for unusual activities or transaction, investigate anomalies and report to the supervisor conclusions and/or present recommendations for actions/decisions;
- Collect, verify and present information and data for use in the planning of financial resources and the formulation of the Country Office (CO)programme work plans, budgets, proposals on implementation arrangements and execution modalities;
- Provide assistance in Annual Work Plan entry in Results Management System (RMS) as required;
- Provide advice and recommend solutions to a wide range of financial issues;
- Monitor the proper functioning of the financial resources management system for office and programmatic budgets and resources;
- Implement and monitor cost saving and reduction strategies;
- Review with Budget owners and Project Managers, in line with Month-end Closure Checklist, the Project Delivery Status Reports and investigate any overspend;
- Respond to instructions from the Deputy Director of Financial Management or Finance Section in relation to financial transactions. Undertake timely corrective actions as requested by Finance Section to resolve financial data issues or provide information;
- Participate as a member of the Country office team in the internal and external audits of the Country Office;
- Follow-up on audit recommendations to monitor implementation of corrective actions;
- Actively promote a client-oriented finance service to Country office;
- Serve as IDAM Focal Point under the current ERP-Quantum;
Prepare and administer the CO budgets in full compliance of UN Women rules, regulations, policies, and recording and reporting systems:
- Formulate the budget, control allotments, monitor expenditures, and prepare revisions according to the needs of the CO;
- Track the appropriate and timely use of financial resources;
- Prepare cost recovery documents or bills for the services provided by UN Women to other programmes or organizations(to ensure DPMC charges as per cost recovery policy);
- Create projects ( if needed) in Quantum, prepare budget revisions, revise project awards and status; and determine unutilized funds (if required and requested by the Project managers);
- Ensure the maintenance of the control mechanism for development projects through monitoring budgets preparation and modifications and budgetary status;
- Maintain internal expenditure control system;
- Undertake corrective actions on un-posted invoices, including invoices with budget check errors, match exceptions and unapproved invoices. Frequently review and investigate payment invoices which are in error; and respond to RO requests to resolve financial data issues;
- Prepare VAT reimbursements with adequate documentation support, as necessary;
- Input data in Quantum and monitor status. Keep stakeholders and clients informed for timely action and/or decisions;
- Manage petty cash fund;
- Assist Project Managers with budget re-phrasal (if required).
Provide finance support to the Programme and Operations teams:
- Review accounts receivables for UN Women projects and follow-up with project managers and finance section at regional office and/or headquarters on contributions, deposits creation in Quantum and their application to AR pending items;
- Prepare and verify PO and non-PO invoices for development and management projects;
- Prepare Adjustment entries (Zero Dollar Invoice) in Quantum from proper supporting documents authorized by the budget owners and project managers;
- Review transactions in Quantum, ensure payroll, travel claims, MPOs, and other entitlements are processed completely;
- If requested by the Project Managers, monitor the setup of budgets in Quantum to ensure they are in accordance with budgets agreed with donors and are input into Quantum at the detailed task ID level;
- Monitor each month over-expenditure of budgets and follow up with Budget Owner;
- Monitor regularly transactions posted to projects ensuring actual expenditure has been recorded against correct budget category and activity, take timely corrective actions as required;
- Maintain proper follow up of prepayment (advances) to implementing partners, review their financial reports together with project managers;
- Monitor the financial status and under the guidance of the RO Finance Specialist implement control mechanisms for management/development projects;
- Monitor and proper follow up of all the financial items in Month-end and Year-end closure instructions status and under the guidance of the Operations Manager, take correction actions as required;
- Keep stakeholders and clients informed for timely actions/decisions and review status reports for quality control;
- Provide information inputs to financial reports for Regional Office, HQ Finance and stakeholders;
- Finalize mandated financial reports to donors and other clients and stakeholders;
- Associate revenue and expenditure in commitment control for non-core projects;
- Provide inputs and take necessary actions to facilitate timely financial project closure;
- Support financial donor reporting by providing timely information and taking necessary actions as required by UN Women Virtual Global Service Centre for financial donor reporting;
- Assist with preparation for Audit of Projects and Partners by third party audit firm. Follow-up and/or take action on audit recommendations to ensure implementation of corrective actions. Assist in reviewing the audit reports on NGO executed projects;
- Participate in the selection process of Implementing partners (IP)/Responsible Parties (RP) such as act as ITEC, LPAC member, capacity assessment etc.;
- Provide training to the RPs on financial management.
Provide administrative support to Resource Mobilization:
- Compile and process information from donors, CO, and programme team, as inputs to various databases and documents;
- Prepare drafts for cost sharing agreements including conditions of contributions within resource mobilization efforts, adhering to standard agreements where possible. Follow up on contributions within the CO resource mobilization efforts;
- Support Programme team through review cost recovery policy application to the proposals;
- Act as DAMS focal point for the CO in terms of funds application in the system.
Facilitate knowledge building and knowledge sharing:
- Conduct training and/or helping organize training events and activities;
- Collect and compile lessons learned and best practices in financial management and services. Disseminate to clients and stakeholders as appropriate to build capacity and knowledge;
- Contribute to financial business operational practices and management innovations;
- Supervise and guide staff and personnel under responsibility, as applicable, provide technical guidance and monitor performance to ensure delivery of results according to plans and standards of accountability and performance;
- Undertake all trainings in relation to financial management provided, including webinars from headquarters.
Key Performance Indicators:
- Timely, complete and accurate financial transactions/activities/documentation;
- Timely and accurate advice on UN Women financial rules and regulations;
- Timely and regular monitoring of financial resources management system and timely expenditure of financial resources;
- Timely and accurate support to budget formulation and controlling allotments;
- Timely and accurate monitoring of internal expenditures control systems;
- Timely and quality financial support to programmes and programme team.
Required Skills and Experience:
Education and certification:
- Completion of secondary education is required;
- Specialized national or international certification in accounting and finance is an asset;
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance or Accounting is an asset;
- Successful completion of UN Women Accounting and Finance Test is required.
- At least 7 years of progressively responsible experience in finance;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and knowledge of database packages, working experience in web based ERP financial systems (i.e. SAP, PeopleSoft, Oracle, etc);
- Demonstrated experience in developing complex financial reports required;
- Experience in developing reports for donors within a international organizational context is an asset.
- Fluency in English and Bangla is required;
- Knowledge of the other UN official working language is an asset.
Recommend your friend
Required Skills and Experience:
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (tendersglobal.net) you saw this job posting.
Senior Financial Sector SpecialistWorld Bank GroupBangkok, ThailandBangkok, Thailand
Internal & External Vacancy: Programme Assistant 00127044, GS5 TA, Dakar, SenegalUNICEF GlobalSenegalSenegal
Planning Officer, (NOB), Suva, Fiji #122510 **Open to Fiji Nationals OnlyWorld Health Organization (WHO)Suva, FijiSuva, Fiji
recrutement d’un Consultant national chargé de l’étude pour la BaselineAnywhereAnywhere