United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF)
Duty Station [Aden -Yemen]
Who are we?
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) has been providing relief and development services in the Horn of Africa since 1997. Using a protection of human rights framework, DRC has mainly focused on Somalis who are displaced by conflict. Programmers include protection, livelihood, food and NFI distribution, water and sanitation, and advocacy amongst others. DRC Yemen has been providing relief and development services in Yemen since 2008. DRC has mainly focused on refugees and migrants displaced by conflict and natural disasters.
DRC, through its specialized business unit, Danish Demining Group (DDG) aims to recreate a safe environment where people can live without the threat of landmines, unexploded ordinances and small arms and light weapons”. These goals can be effectively advanced through cooperation and joint action with other organization as well as with integration of operations and programs with its sister organization, DRC.
About the Job:
Under the supervision of Support Services Manager (SSM) the Finance Manager will ensure that all financial functions in area/region programs including good planning, analysis, accounting, payments & payroll, budgeting, financial reporting, grant financial management, compliance are done effectively and in a timely manner in adherence to DRC’s Internal Controls and support.
- Lead and manage the Area Finance Team (including people planning, performance, well-being and development)
- Develop and follow on KPIs for finance staff across the South area operation and share the monthly update with line Manager and Area Manager.
- Ensure that financial transactions are carried out in a timely manner in accordance with general accepted accounting principles (GAAP) and DRC and donor guidelines.
- In consultation with the Human Resource Department, ensure that a training and professional development plan is developed, and that Annual Reviews are conducted correctly in a timely manner.
Financial Accounting, Budget Management and Reporting:
- Establish and maintain internal financial procedures compatible with the country’s law, DRC’s Operations Handbook and donor requirements.
- Ensure that proper financial procedures are adhered to and maintained at field offices, in coordination with the Area/ Base Managers & Support Services Manager in compliance with DRC rules and regulations
- Aden Area office Heavy user for the DRC Dynamics (ERP) System and responsible for training other finance staff in South Yemen on the use of the system.
- Work with and support South Yemen Budget Holders in budget preparations, revisions, monitoring and follow ups; also, to prepare expenditure forecasts and ensure that adequate funds are available for program activities
- Manage day-to-day accounting functions, including regular cash verification, cash/bank reconciliation, monthly cashbooks closing, advances’ reconciliation, timely submission of monthly account, cash forecasting to Country Finance Manager
- Ensure payments to suppliers and recurrent expenditures are made in a timely manner and authorization done as per IDRA.
- Ensure adherence to donor rules and regulations as regards financial transactions in Aden Area Office
- Ensure a controlled and smooth cash flow management process for the Aden Area Office – promptly advising the Country Finance Manager when replenishment of bank accounts is necessary
- Oversee the management of bank accounts of Aden area, as well as oversee Cash management and safe(s)
- Prepare donor financial reports in line with donor guidelines and formats
- Train programme staff on effective and efficient financial management and budget tracking
- Serve as focal person when developing and revising DRC project budgets
- Review and monitor partners’ financial reporting and compliance. Provide additional technical assistance to partners as necessary to maintain compliance standards
- Serve as Finance focal point or to delegate other staff member for both internal and external auditors in Area/ Field Offices
- Confirm that payment related to procurement have the necessary documentation as outlined in DRC procurement policies and procedures for all goods and services and ensure that all vouchers are properly coded (project no, budget line and G/L account)
- Ensure that all transactions are booked, uploaded on daily basis into the cash book in accordance with guidelines
- Ensure that proper authorization has been obtained before any payment takes place
- Maintenance of a proper and transparent filing system of all documents relation to finance as per SOPs
- Payroll to be administered in an efficient manner and all statutory deductions are made in accordance with Yemen labour and Tax Laws
- Confirm availability of funds before authorization of project expenditures
- Liaise with CO, local donors on matters related to financial issues.
- Reconciliations of Balance sheet items on monthly basis. For example, prepayments, accruals. Other liabilities and receivables
- Partners budgeting, reporting, compliance management and Fund accounting
- BFU review meetings and action planning.
- Lead on Financial Data archiving.
- Management reporting around high risk projects, forex management and other financial risky areas
- Compliance reviews of field offices.
- Ensuring statutory requirements around payroll, taxes, and Social security are timely deducted, deposited in government treasury and monthly reconciled with accounts.
- Works closely with the Support Services Manager to implement, improve and maintain financial management policies, systems, structures, and procedures within the South Yemen of Operation
- Provide technical support to the field offices-based finance staff as well as providing leadership to the finance staff in South Yemen Offices
- Proactively identify and act upon deficiencies and areas for improvement for Aden Area finance team, providing training and other capacity-building where necessary to ensure that finance staff capacity is continuously developed.
- Conduct on-the-job training Budget Holders in Aden Area Office, guiding them through Budgeting, donor compliance and compliance to DRC handbook
- include partner capacity development.
DRC Dynamics ERP System
- Ensure proper training and application of DRC Dynamics finance processes in the area/field offices
- Apply reports and data analytics from DRC Dynamics finance system to improve finance performance
- Assist with any other reasonable task as directed by the Support Services Manager / Area Manage/ CO
- Forex management in line with Donor policies and Donor guidelines around exchange rates.
To be successful in this role you must have:
Experience and technical competencies:
- Minimum 5 years of working experience in humanitarian finance management within the field of (budgets development, budgets management, accounting management, budgets & donor reporting management etc. is desirable
- At least 2 years’ experience in management position or equal/similar position , DRC experience is highly advantageous.
- Knowledge and experience of dealing with partners reporting management
- Competence in providing technical guidance and training
- Experience working with major donors (EU, ECHO, DFID, OFDA, BPRM, DANIDA, and UN organizations, etc.)
- Excellent computer skills in MS Word & Excel, as well as experience working with an ERP system
- Experience working with Automated accounting and Finance Software
- Experience with standard finance procedures and documentation.
- Excellent communication skills
- Able to work with tight deadlines and under minimum supervision
- Knowledge of Power BI.
- Good knowledge on DRC Dynamic system (Desirable).
- Previous working experience in DRC Finance team (Desirable).
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
• Striving for excellence: Focusing on reaching results while ensuring efficient processes.
• Collaborating: Involving relevant parties and encouraging feedback.
• Taking the lead: Taking ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
• Communicating: Listening and speaking effectively and honestly.
• Demonstrating integrity: Upholding and promoting the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment.
Moreover, we also expect the following:
- Bachelors/Master in Accountancy and Financial management filed or equivalent recognized qualification/s
- Must be able to speak and write proficiently in both Arabic and English languages.
DRC will offer the successful applicant a contract until December 2023, renewable dependent on both funding and performance. You must be available to start work As soon as possible, and be willing and able to work in Aden with regular travel to Mocha, Khokha and fields as required.
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment. This position will be placed at Band (F2 Manager) and will be reporting to Support Services Manager.
Interested? Then apply for this position by clicking on the apply button or the link below.
All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in the same language as this vacancy note. CV only applications will not be considered.
Females are encouraged to apply for this position.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please contact [email protected]
Need further information?
For more details on this position, please contact [email protected].
Please note that applications sent directly to [[email protected]] will not be considered.
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website www.drc.ngo
DRC as an employer
By working in DRC, you will be joining a global workforce of around 8000 employees in 40 countries. We pride ourselves on our:
- Professionalism, impact & expertise
- Humanitarian approach & the work we do
- Purpose, meaningfulness & own contribution
- Culture, values & strong leadership
- Fair compensation & continuous development
DRC’s capacity to ensure the protection of and assistance to refugees, IDP’s and other persons of concern depends on the ability of our staff to uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment. DRC conducts thorough and comprehensive background checks as part of the recruitment process.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please visit drc.ngo/about-us/job-and-career/support-for-job-seekers.
Danish Refugee Council is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating an inclusive and positive work environment based on mutual respect for all employees. All applicants are considered for employment without attention to race, age, ability, ethnicity, nationality, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, or any other factor. At DRC we celebrate diversity and appreciate our employees for the people they are and their unique skills, backgrounds, and perspectives. We encourage all interested candidates to apply!
Apply for job
To help us track our recruitment effort, please specify on the application form/indicate in your cover letter where (tendersglobal.net) you saw this job posting.