Danish Refugee Council
The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunities for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfillment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956 and has grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Based in Copenhagen (Denmark) and present in forty countries, the Danish Refugee Council is a non-profit-making, politically independent, non-governmental, and non-denominational relief organization.
Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced. All our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, honesty, and transparency.
DRC has been operating in West Africa since 1998. DRC and its technical unit, the Danish Demining Group (DDG), have had an operational presence in Nigeria since July 2015. DRC has four main offices in Abuja, Yola, Maiduguri, and Mubi and five in deep field locations across Northeast Nigeria including, Mafa, Ngala, Bama, Pulka, and Michika.
Danish Refugee Council, is currently looking for a Finance Manager in Nigeria. Under the supervision of the Head of Support Services (HoSS), the Finance Manager will ensure that all financial functions in the country programs, including accounting, payments and banking payroll, budgeting, financial reporting (internal and external to donors and government authorities), capacity building of finance team, budgetary management training for support and program teams and grant financial management and compliance are done effectively and on time. The finance manager will manage a team of three staff members (two finance specialists and one finance officer).
Duties and Responsibilities
- The main responsibilities and tasks of the Finance Management are the following:
- In close cooperation with Managers in geographical areas, reinforce existing procedures and systems for financial management and control in compliance with guidelines of DRC’s Operations Handbook, internal guidelines, and donor requirements
- Support timely delivery of quality financial reports to donors and internal reports to colleagues and HQ In country compliance with relevant statutory and other financial obligations such as tax, levies and statutory returns
- Monthly financial briefings to relevant Managers and Head of Support
- Ensure thorough and effective budgetary control in the country programs
- Liaise with relevant Managers on key financial issues for all programs in the country, including co-funding, financial reporting, key variances, and any remedial action
- Collecting cash forecasts from all Programme Managers and requesting funds in a timely manner
- Maintain a continuous overview of funding levels and pay particular attention to shared support costs, including staff salaries
- Ensure all required documentation for financial audits in cooperation with Coordination staff and HQ
- Ensure monthly meetings are held with project managers to discuss key variances, reasons for these, and any remedial action that is required
- Prepare for local audits. Ensure all required documentation for financial audits is processed in cooperation Support & supervises, audits (in-country, external). If required coordinate with the auditors on audit process.
- Contribute to the development of proposals with regards to budgeting in cooperation with Managers
- Ensure implementation of Dynamics 365 financial management system at country level and act as heavy user for most of the Projects & Finance functionalities
- Apply reports and data analytics from DRC Dynamics to improve overall performance.
- Capacity building of the finance team, on tools, policies, and procedures. Ensure that both specialists are in the position to work on budgets, BFU, and update the master budget.
- Provide training to support and program teams on budget management, donor rules, budget and BFU reading/analysis.
Technical Line Management Responsibilities
- Provide technical guidance and support to all Finance staff
- Advise on and promote understanding and application of DRC policies, procedures and principles.
- Raise any issues of non-compliance
- When relevant, drives development of policies and standards in region or country and/or localizes global policies to regional or country level
- Bachelor’s in Accounting or Finance
- Minimum 5 years of International practical experience in a senior financial management position
- Computer literate, MS Office and DRC Dynamic
- Fluent in English
Recommend your friend
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (tendersglobal.net) you saw this internship posting.
Business Solutions IWorld BankChennai,IndiaChennai,India
Consulting Firm / Group of Consultants to develop a Climate-Smart Green Growth Strategy for the GCF project in Sri LankaGWP - Global Water PartnershipHome Based - May require travelHome Based - May require travel
Economic Justice LeadOxfam[Erbil,Iraq ][Erbil,Iraq ]
Head of MediaOrganization for Security and Co-operation in EuropeBelgrade, SerbiaBelgrade, Serbia