International Rescue Committee (IRC)
International Rescue Committee (IRC)
Requisition ID: req41559
Job Title: Finance Officer
Employment Category: Regular
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Location: Sabha, Libya
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and is at work in over 40 countries. Founded in 1933, the International Rescue Committee (Rescue.org) is a world leader in relief, rehabilitation and post-conflict development services for those uprooted or affected by violent conflict and oppression. The IRC is currently working in countries around the world, addressing both the immediate and lifesaving needs of conflict affected people in emergencies and the reconstruction needs of post-conflict societies.
The IRC Libya country program is working since August 2016, targeting the most vulnerable non-displaced, IDPs, refugees and migrants in hard-to-reach areas. According to assessments, healthcare is considered the priority need in Libya, most urgently in terms of quality health staff, medicines, and supplies. There are significant gaps in the response, according to Libya’s Ministry of Health (MoH), the Libyan Red Crescent, UN agencies, and international NGOs. The IRC’s team in Libya has the specific goal of reaching those in the hardest hit areas to beneficiaries of all ages and gender, both Libyans and third-country nationals.
Job Overview/Summary: The Finance Officer is responsible for managing the finance function for IRC operations in Sabha and south locations, report directly to the Finance Manager, the position holder will be responsible for overseeing day to day office Financial operation requirements in Sabha south office, month closing financial reporting, support in regular Audits verification, cash flows and cash forecasts.
· Assist in the implementation of Finance policies, procedures and systems and ensure compliance with IRC procedures and guidelines.
· Review payments documentation for proper and adequate supporting back up, proper coding and budget adequacy,
· Ensure all costs are allowable, allocable and reasonable to be charged to the grants.
· Prepare & review requests from the cash needs for the program implementation & reconcile it monthly.
· Cash custodian of the cash in office balances
· Perform the day-to-day finance operations and accounting in the office
· Ensure the monthly and year end closing reconciliations are performed on time as per the monthly shared schedule plan.
· Ensure staff advances and petty cash are reconciled at the month end as per advance and petty cash policy.
· Ensure that outstanding invoices are paid before the end of each month, to be booked and charged to the grants within the same month incurred.
· Allocate south staff and other costs according to their time sheets, as well as south shared program cost to the grants according to the monthly cost allocation.
Data Entry / Accounting Records
· Prepare expenditure spreadsheet and submit to the Finance Manager for final review and process.
· Maintain subsidiary ledgers for south advances, receivables, and payables.
· Verify completeness and accuracy of all accounting documents.
· Execute a weekly back-up of all financial ledgers on every business day of the week.
· Do postings in Sun system and prepare the draft of monthly finance report for HQ.
Payroll and Taxes
· Assist in reviewing the national staff payroll that is prepared by HR, for calculation accuracy and completeness.
Bank and cash Operations
· Process cash withdrawals from the bank and ensure timely bank payments.
· As needed liaise with bank officials to ensure uninterrupted bank services.
· Obtain monthly bank statements in the first week of the following month for all bank accounts.
· Prepare monthly bank reconciliation and cash counts schedules.
Cash Operations / Preparation of Vouchers
· Ensure internal control procedures are followed for all cash disbursement, exchanges, receipts and transfers.
· Inform Finance Manager of all discrepancies.
· Ensure that cash payments are reduced as much as possible.
· Assist the Finance Manager in responding to internal and/or external Audit requests.
· Provide training to program staff on Finance policies and procedures.
· Perform Finance review and verification of Purchase Orders, Purchase Requests and other supporting documentations for proper coding and budget adequacy.
· Liaison with Supply Chain, Administration and Program on cash needs,
· Follow up with Supply chain and program on commitments in the BVA system.
· Participate in tenders and review tender documents.
Key Working Relationships:
Position Reports to: Finance Manager
Position directly supervises:
Other Internal and/or external contacts:
Internal: SC Department, as well other Finance, Program and support unit staff
· Bachelor’s degree in finance, Accounting or Advance Diploma in Accounting from recognized College/Institution
- Minimum of Two years of finance or accounting experience
· Computer literate with significant experience in MS. Office, accounting package knowledge (SUN system) will be an added advantage.
· Previous experience with International NGOs and/or USAID projects is highly desirable.
Demonstrated Skills and Competencies:
- Effective communication skills, both written and verbal
- Excellent skill with MS specially Excel. is highly desirable.
· Ability to prioritize among multiple tasks and make decisions.
· Fluency in Arabic and good in English, both written and spoken, required.
Certificates or Licenses:
Working Environment: Standard office work environment. Candidates will be expected to provide their own transportation to and from the job site each day.
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
Apply for job
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (tendersglobal.net) you saw this job posting.