World Bank (WBG)
|Sector:||Finance & Accounting|
|Term Duration:||4 years 0 months|
|Recruitment Type:||Local Recruitment|
|Closing Date:||10/19/2022 (MM/DD/YYYY) at 11:59pm UTC|
Do you want to build a career that is truly worthwhile? Working at the World Bank Group provides a unique opportunity for you to help our clients solve their greatest development challenges. The World Bank Group is one of the largest sources of funding and knowledge for developing countries; a unique global partnership of five institutions dedicated to ending extreme poverty, increasing shared prosperity and promoting sustainable development. With 189 member countries and more than 120 offices worldwide, we work with public and private sector partners, investing in groundbreaking projects and using data, research, and technology to develop solutions to the most urgent global challenges. For more information, visit www.worldbank.org
The World Bank Group Finance and Accounting (WFA) Vice Presidency Unit, is responsible for all aspects of financial accounting, reporting and the internal control framework for the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD) and the International Development Association (IDA) and the extensive Trust Fund/Partnership portfolio of those entities. The VPU is also responsible for expressing a Finance viewpoint on controls over Bank Group operations.
WFA comprises the following functions: Financial Instruments Accounting and Valuation; Loan Operations; Accounting Business Services; Financial Analysis and Reporting; Accounting Policy; Documentation and Communication; Advisory Services; and Operational Risks and Controls. These units collectively include approximately 500 staff, of which approximately 170 are in Washington, D.C., with the remainder in regional offices including the largest in Chennai, India.
The WBG Trust Fund and Loan Operations Department (WFATL) in WFA provides a number of financial operation activities, notably financial services, compliance, disbursements, accounting, reporting, and analytics for IBRD/IDA loans and Trust Funds.
WFAAS, a division within WFATL is focused on supporting both the WBG’s Trust Funds and Loans portfolios, for example, providing advice on the design and implementation of new trust funds or loans, policies, or processes, as well as many activities associated with the implementation and closure of loans or trust funds, including account creation and maintenance, disbursement transactions, trust funds and loans accounting and reporting and helpdesk functions.
WFAAS division operates out of three locations – DC, Chennai and Manila. The team in Chennai and Manila (WFALF and WFALM), comprise three sub-teams viz., (i)Trust funds accounting clearance and Fiduciary & Controls team (ii) Trust Funds accounting and reporting, and (iii) Loan accounting and reporting. Together, the Division provides end-to-end support for IBRD/IDA Loans and WBG Trust Funds, in terms of,
• Providing upstream advice to Bank teams and influence the design of new Trust funds and loan agreements to ensure compliance with fiduciary, reporting, internal control requirements and best practices.
• Support, help design, and ultimately implement and account for new and emerging trust funds and loan products, in addition to the existing trust fund and loans portfolio.
• Ensure the accuracy and integrity of the Trust Fund and Loan modules, financial ledgers and related interfaces, which capture all TF and Loan activities.
• Report on Trust Fund and Loan accounts at the individual account and portfolio level through, audited/un-audited financial statements, management reports, analyses and trends for corporate reporting, donor specific reports, etc.
• Maintain/enhance/develop underlying systems, tools and applications to cater to the changing business needs.
This is an advertisement for a Financial Analyst, in the Loans accounting and reporting team in Manila (WFALM). This position reports to the Loan Accounting Team Lead in Chennai.
Duties & Responsibilities:
The Financial Analyst’s primary responsibilities will include, but not limited to, a combination of the following activities:
Ensuring the accuracy, appropriateness, completeness and control of information for the Loan portfolio:
• Review new loans set up to ensure that the financial terms and other information are accurately captured (Loans master data)
• Ensure interest rates are appropriately updated accurately and on a timely basis
• Provide support, as necessary, to clients, country and regional operations teams to ensure the smooth operation of the country loan portfolios. Provide billing invoices to the borrowers within the agreed timelines to aid proper collection of funds due.
• Conduct debt service workshops to help clients understand the overdue policies of the Bank and its implications.
• Ensure that the amounts due are collected on time and also consistent application of overdue policies and procedures of the Bank is adhered to in case of non-payment.
• Perform critical month-end closing activities such as validation of key activities of the month, , review of key accounts, business table reconciliations etc., and ensure month-end and year end close per production schedule
• Review monthly reports on the portfolio and assess the income statement effects.
• Periodically review various reconciliation reports to validate that all business activity has been properly recorded and verified for use in the Bank’s financial statements
Analytical review and information support for IBRD/IDA Loan portfolio:
• A periodic review of the financial results of the loan portfolio to identify trends and significant changes to assess the reasonableness of account balances leading to a sign off on the data/information
• Perform analysis, contribute to the commentaries, suggest and implement solutions in a pro-active manner.
• Respond to questions/requests on loan information from period activity or financial reporting requirements
• Support the loss provisioning work program in Chennai to meet the Department’s responsibilities
Process improvements & automation projects:
• Lead/Participate in automation projects and coordinate with technical teams on system changes, bug fixes, enhancements and testing
• Contribute to the continuous improvements and process enhancement initiatives surrounding loan processes aimed at simplification and/or enhancements to process quality and controls;
• Provide inputs and actively participate in various institutional projects;
• Provide a variety of metrics / charts to be included in overall departmental operations report to measure progress of operations at Chennai vis-a-vis agreed norms for management information and action;
• Coach and mentor junior team members.
• Chartered Accountant or Certified Public Accountant, with minimum 3 years post qualification experience;
• Proven working experience on accounting and reporting processes using automated accounting systems preferably SAP;
• Exposure to investments accounting and/or valuation would be an advantage;
• Demonstrated good judgmental and analytical skills;
• Excellent problem-solving skills;
• Proficiency in SAP and Microsoft Office tools;
• Good interpersonal and communication skills (both written and oral);
• Strong client-focus and excellent team player;
• Ability to deal sensitively in multi-cultural environments and build effective working relations with clients and colleagues;
• Ability to function effectively in multi-disciplinary teams within a matrix environment.
Deliver Results for Clients – Contributes to delivery of results for client on complex issues. Sets challenging goals that align with the WBG mission and is always looking to improve. Understands clients’ most pressing challenges and contributes to solutions. Takes personal responsibility for producing high quality work, identifying and informing of risks, and delivering results for clients.
Collaborate Within Teams and Across Boundaries – Collaborates within team and across boundaries. Keeps others fully informed to ensure integration and work consistency. Approaches conflicts as common problems to be solved. Seeks and listens to input from others to inform own decision making and openly shares information. Frames thinking/actions with a WBG corporate perspective in mind.
Lead and Innovate – Brings new and different insights. Applies critical thinking to current approaches, identifies areas for improvement, and tries new solutions that drive results. Considers own behavior in context of WBG’s values and mission and recognizes impact one has on others. Operates in ambiguity and changing needs and supports others to do the same
Create, Apply, and Share Knowledge – Actively contributes to and readily applies WBG’s body of knowledge for client solutions. Contributes to the departments and WBG’s body of knowledge by applying lessons learned and expertise. Actively invests in own knowledge and seeks feedback. Builds personal and professional networks within and beyond the work group
Make Smart Decisions – Leverages available data and makes timely decisions. Seeks and analyzes facts, data and lessons of past experience to support sound, logical decisions regarding own and others’ work. Applies cost/benefit analysis to meet work program objectives. Contributes to decision making by providing relevant risk-analysis. Shows initiative when necessary and makes decisions in a timely manner within own area of responsibility.
Client Understanding and Advising – Looks at issues from the client’s perspective and takes action beyond normal expectations to ensure client satisfaction. Analyzes situations and determines alternative or creative scenarios and approaches to add value to the business in new and different ways. Works within the team and with other specialty areas to define client needs and develop the best approach to meet client needs. Sees how ideas and best practices from other specialties can be adapted or applied to address client issues.
Broad Business Thinking – Maintains an in-depth understanding of the long-term implications of decisions both for department and the client’s business. Ensures that decisions are supported by relevant stakeholders as well as sound performance data. Effectively communicates recommended changes to clients and how they will affect their business using the client’s own terminology with limited jargon while attempting to minimize day-to-day disruption of operations
Project Management – Develops and implements realistic and achievable work plans for group or project team – including tasks, priorities, resources and schedules. Establishes priorities, identifies critical tasks, and pushes projects forward in a timely fashion. Establishes controls to detect problems early and notify those involved if deadlines are affected. Creates opportunities and solutions that address more difficult or abstract situations. Creates and adapts solutions to address unusual data or novel situations
Analytical Thinking – Determines criteria for assessing issues and opportunities. Establishes clear goals and priorities needed to assess performance. Identifies relationships and linkages between different information sources. Anticipates issues that are not readily apparent on the surface. Identifies root causes and effects. Establishes clear goals and priorities. Anticipates potential problems and develops solutions needed to resolve them. Systemically analyzes relationships between apparently independent problems and issues. Reviews and cross-reviews reports. Identifies trends as well as isolated events. Translates analytical reports into management presentations and provides guidance to resolve issues. Anticipates the possible outcome of potential solutions. Identifies areas of significant concern or opportunity. Probes and initiates research to identify critical problems
Policies and Procedures – Seek out opportunities to further understanding of relevant policies and guidance. Identify areas for improvements in existing policies and procedures. Emulate best practices in completing own work program. Provides guidance to junior staff and plays a role in transferring skills and knowledge to others.
Risks and Controls – Demonstrate understanding of key risks and internal control procedures in the related processes. Able to identify key risks and mitigating control steps in own functional areas. Perform internal control procedures in compliance with the overall risk and control framework. Takes proactive measures to know the internal control procedures (e.g., talks with business leaders about their goals and priorities).
IT and Systems – Leverage information technology systems and applications to improve productivity and efficiency. Provide inputs to IT system enhancement efforts based on day to day working experience and knowledge of the systems
Communication – Utilize appropriate tools and techniques to explain technical information in plain language. Present information in a logical and organized manner both in speech and in writing. Writes effective correspondence, prepares questions and reports, statements of circumstance and briefing notes
The World Bank Group offers comprehensive benefits, including a retirement plan; medical, life and disability insurance; and paid leave, including parental leave, as well as reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity and inclusive employer with a dedicated and committed workforce, and do not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability.
Apply for job
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (tendersglobal.net) you saw this job posting.