|Job Description:Desired start date: 2023/02/15
Duration: Permanent contract
Location: around 80% in the field / 20% in Solidarités International headquarters or from home
ABOUT THE MISSION
SOLIDARITES INTERNATIONAL (SI) is an international humanitarian aid association which, for nearly 40 years, has been providing assistance to populations affected by armed conflicts and natural disasters by meeting their basic needs for food, water and shelter. Particularly committed to the fight against diseases linked to unsafe water, the leading cause of death in the world, SI’s interventions provide expertise in the field of access to drinking water, sanitation and hygiene promotion, but also in the essential area of food security and livelihoods. Present in some twenty countries, the SI teams – 2000 people in total, made up of expatriates, national staff, permanent staff at HQ, and a few volunteers – intervene with professionalism and commitment while respecting cultural norms.
The flying Deputy Country Director for programs (DCD) from the OSS team (Operational Support Service) may be deployed on any country where a DCD-related position is of major strategic interest.
By nature, the flying DCD is deployed primarily on DCD gaps but may also be called upon to respond to emergencies, project launches, to replace a Program Coordinator, to reinforce the skills of the Program teams on a country or to support strong positioning issues related to programs.
The flying DCD, as part of the country senior management team, oversees the development of SOLIDARITES INTERNATIONAL’s (SI) programs in line with the association’s mandate and global strategy, and ensures their design are driven by needs, have a demonstrable impact, are adaptable to contextual changes and are conflict sensitive.
He/she accompanies the positioning of SI in its different sectors of intervention.
POSITION IN THE ORGANIGRAM
OSS members respond to the support needs of missions through SI’s geographic desks. Their deployment is under the supervision of the Director of Operations. When deployed, 80% of their time is spent working under the responsibility of the Country Director & the relevant desk manager.
- At headquarters: Under the hierarchical authority of the Head of Programs Unit.
- In deployment: Under the hierarchical authority of the Country Director
ROLE DURING DEPLOYEMENTS (80% of the time)
In close collaboration with the geographical desk of assignment, and in addition to the terms of reference specific to each deployment:
- Collaborate with the Country Director (CD) to implement the set country and program strategy.
- Support fundraising efforts and donor and partners’ relationship management and representation.
- Oversee Program Development by providing cohesive leadership to SI programming, ensuring support to Program Coordination team and timely communication on program issues to the CD and HQ
- Provide guidance for the Quality Management of the programs by ensuring quality criteria and indicators are monitored and lead to decision making
- Ensure that procedures, guides and tools are updated and implemented in accordance with HQ recommendations.
- Support on lessons learning and using the findings to guide future strategic direction
- Being proactive in proposing new activities based on the context evolution.
WORK FROM SI’S HQ/HOME (20% OF TIME)
- Occasional support to the desks
- Contribution to the Program Unit & DOAP fund projects