About the team/job
Our team develops and maintains Europe PMC – an open access repository of 8.1 million full-text biomedical research articles, supplemented with 41 million abstracts, database links and citation information which is supported by 37 international biomedical funders.
Some of our projects include:
- Redesigning the Europe PMC search interface and functionality
- Adding new types of content, including protocols and peer reviews, and making sure they are discoverable and easy to use
- Displaying biological term annotations extracted from supplementary files by data mining on article pages
Some of our teams’ achievements are:
- Redesigning the website based on extensive user research and implementing accessibility standards
- Creating a manuscript submission system in house using open source technologies
Creating re-usable front-end components including a JS text highlighter
Our tech stack is:
- HTML5, CSS3,
- Storybook (for design patterns)
- TypeScript (for open source software)
- Java (Wicket), Java Spring, Ignite
You will work within the larger Literature Services team in an Agile environment. The team consists of Developers, Quality Assurance Engineers, Database Administrator, UX Architect, Product Manager, Data Scientists, Community Manager & Outreach, Helpdesk and Team Leader. You will also work and collaborate with external collaborators.
In this role you will be responsible for the development and maintenance of the Europe PMC website and related front-end applications, the Europe PMC design system and accessibility standards.
The position reports to the Service Coordinator responsible for the Europe PMC product in the Literature Services team and specific tasks will include:
- Development of front-end components and applications for the Europe PMC website and manuscript submission system Europe PMC plus
- Writing unit tests and tuning the performance of front-end components with high user traffic
- Taking ownership of monitoring and troubleshooting front-end components
- Maintenance of front-end components of the website
- Responsibility for ensuring the website complies with accessibility standards and advocating for accessibility and coding standards
- Maintaining and improving the Europe PMC design system and interface patterns
- Introduction of best practises, tools and frameworks
- A degree or higher degree in web development, computer science or equivalent experience
- Experience of building cross-platform, responsive websites
- Experience of working on a large-scale system in terms of data and high user traffic
- Experience of working in an Agile team and using Agile methodologies, including SCRUM and Kanban
- Experience of working with UX researchers and designers
- Experience of SOAP/RESTful Web Services and XML/JSON data
- Ability to match a visual design with code
- Experience of coding standards and optimising code and images for page load speed
- Experience of testing code and managing deployments to the live environment (Gitlab/Jenkins)
- Experience of application performance tuning and problem diagnosis
- Experience of using version control systems (Git/Gitlab) and issue tracking software (JIRA/Gitlab)
It is not essential to have a scientific background
You might also have
- Experience of working with open source code
- Knowledge of accessibility standards
- Experience of creating re-usable interface components
Why join us
Do something meaningful
At EMBL–EBI you can apply your talent and passion to accelerate science and tackle some of humankind’s greatest challenges. EMBL–EBI, part of the European Molecular Biology Laboratory, is a worldwide leader in the storage, analysis and dissemination of large biological datasets. We provide the global research community with access to publicly available databases and tools which are crucial for the advancement of healthcare, food security, and biodiversity.
Join a culture of innovation
We are located on the Wellcome Genome Campus, alongside other prominent research and biotech organisations, and surrounded by beautiful Cambridgeshire countryside. This is a highly collaborative and inclusive community where our employees enjoy a relaxed atmosphere. We are committed to ensuring our employees feel valued, supported and empowered to reach their professional potential.
Enjoy lots of benefits:
- Financial incentives: Monthly family, child and non-resident allowances, annual salary review, pension scheme, death benefit, long-term care, accident-at-work and unemployment insurances
- Flexible working arrangements
- Private medical insurance for you and your immediate family (including all prescriptions and generous dental & optical cover)
- Generous time off: 30 days annual leave per year, in addition to eight bank holidays
- Relocation package including installation grant (if required)
- Campus life: Free shuttle bus to and from work, on-site library, subsidised on-site gym and cafeteria, casual dress code, extensive sports and social club activities (on campus and remotely)
- Family benefits: On-site nursery, 10 days of child sick leave, generous parental leave, holiday clubs on campus and monthly family and child allowances
- Benefits for non-UK residents: Visa exemption, education grant for private schooling, financial support to travel back to your home country every second year and a monthly non-resident allowance.
For more details please see our employee benefits page.
What else you need to know
- Contract duration: This position is a 3 year contract
- International applicants: We recruit internationally and successful candidates are offered visa exemptions. Read more on our page for international applicants.
- Diversity and inclusion: At EMBL–EBI, we strongly believe that inclusive and diverse teams benefit from higher levels of innovation and creative thought. We encourage applications from women, LGBTQ+ and individuals from all nationalities.
- EMBL is a signatory of DORA. Find out how we implement best practices in research assessment in our recruitment processes here.
- Job location: This role is based in Hinxton, near Cambridge, UK. You will be required to relocate if you are based overseas and you will receive a generous relocation package to support you.
- How to apply: To apply please submit a cover letter and a CV through our online system. A technical assessment will be sent as the first round as part of this recruitment