Full Professor of Contemporary Media Cultures
Full Professor of Contemporary Media Cultures
A world from which we demand more and more requires people who can make a contribution. Critical thinkers who want to commit themselves to knowledge production with a significant and societal impact. As a full professor, your vision and leadership will further shape the contemporary media field in research and education at Radboud University.
You will be affiliated with the Radboud Institute for Culture and History (RICH) at the Faculty of Arts, where you will play a central role in developing one or more of its research themes. Affinity with the fields of environmental humanities, digital humanities, cultural policy, tourism or critical heritage studies is an asset. You will be part of the chair group of Literary and Cultural Studies at the Department of Modern Languages and Culture.
At the Bachelor’s level, you will participate in the BA programmes in Arts and Culture Studies and in other BA programmes as well as in the Faculty minors. At the Master’s level, you will participate in the Master’s Arts and Culture Studies (e.g. the specialisations in Tourism and Culture or Cultural Policy and the Business of Art), and in the Research Master’s programme in Historical, Literary and Cultural Studies (e.g. the specialisation in Art and Visual Culture). You will play an initiating, stimulating and connecting role in the development and implementation of the study programmes, and you have a clear vision on student recruitment and the profiling of arts and culture studies education in Nijmegen.
You have a clear vision on research and will make media and cultural studies research visible within the Faculty as well as nationally and internationally. Supervising PhD candidates and acquiring funding from indirect and/or contract funding will be explicitly part of your duties, as will be making an active contribution to the Faculty’s valorisation activities.
Together with fellow professors and other staff members, you will take on management tasks and fulfil a leading role as representative of the Literary and Cultural Studies chair group in the Department of Modern Languages and Cultures, as well as at Faculty level.
€6099—€8881 per month
View on Google Maps
- You are a broadly-based and innovative media or cultural studies scholar with a demonstrable interest in and experience with contemporary media, arts and culture, and cultural theory.
- You hold a PhD in media studies, cultural studies, arts and culture studies, or a similar field of study, preferably in the humanities, studying contemporary media, arts and culture preferably from a global and multilingual perspective.
- You have a list of qualitatively excellent publications to your name, including a number of publications in internationally leading journals demonstrating your interdisciplinarity and methodological innovative approach.
- You occupy a leading position within the international research community in the field of contemporary media cultures.
- You have demonstrable experience in acquiring research grants and are planning to apply for externally funded research projects.
- You have extensive experience in guiding academic staff in the performance of their research and teaching.
- You are able to stimulate interuniversity cooperation and maintain contacts within your own network with scientific institutions outside the university.
- You are an inspiring and challenging teacher, with extensive teaching experience at BA and MA levels, and can be widely deployed in teaching programmes at the Faculty.
- You have a university teaching qualification (UTQ) or an equivalent qualification, or are willing and able to obtain such a qualification within two years.
- You are willing to play a strong connecting role between Radboud University and regional, national and international cultural or media institutions.
- You are willing to play a connecting role at the department and actively promote collaboration.
- You have an interest in and experience with administrative tasks and management.
- You have the following five core competencies: vision, social awareness, persuasiveness, connecting and inclusive leadership, and entrepreneurship.
- If you are a foreign candidate, you should have an excellent command of Dutch or be willing to learn Dutch (C1 level) within two years.
Conditions of employment
Fixed-term contract: It concerns a temporary employment for 1 year, with the possibility of a permanent employment.
- It concerns an employment for 1.0 FTE.
- The gross monthly salary amounts to a minimum of €6,099 and a maximum of €8,881 based on a 38-hour working week, depending on previous education and number of years of relevant work experience (salary scale H2 ).
- You will receive 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus.
- It concerns a temporary employment for 1 year, with the possibility of a permanent employment.
- You will be able to use our Dual Career and Family Care Services . Our Dual Career and Family Care Officer can assist you with family-related support, help your partner or spouse prepare for the local labour market, provide customized support in their search for employment and help your family settle in Nijmegen.
- Working for us means getting extra days off. In case of full-time employment, you can choose between 30 or 41 days of annual leave instead of the legally allotted 20.
Work and science require good employment practices. This is reflected in Radboud University’s primary and secondary employment conditions . You can make arrangements for the best possible work-life balance with flexible working hours, various leave arrangements and working from home. You are also able to compose part of your employment conditions yourself, for example, exchange income for extra leave days and receive a reimbursement for your sports subscription. And of course, we offer a good pension plan. You are given plenty of room and responsibility to develop your talents and realise your ambitions. Therefore, we provide various training and development schemes.
The Faculty of Arts is committed to knowledge production with a significant scientific and social impact. With over 500 academic and support staff, we teach and conduct research in the fields of history and art, languages and cultures, and linguistics and communication, using innovative methodologies and working in close collaboration between the disciplines. Our research is embedded in two research institutes: the Centre for Language Studies (CLS) and the Radboud Institute for Culture & History (RICH). We currently have approximately 2,500 students , enrolled in three departments: the Department of History, Art History and Classics, the Department of Modern Languages and Cultures, and the Department of Language and Communication. We aim to contribute to a more sustainable and inclusive world, which is why we especially seek applications from candidates who bring diverse perspectives, backgrounds, and skills that will be assets to our study programmes and research profiles.
We want to get the best out of science, others and ourselves. Why? Because this is what the world around us desperately needs. Leading research and education make an indispensable contribution to a healthy, free world with equal opportunities for all. This is what unites the more than 24,000 students and 5,600 employees at Radboud University. And this requires even more talent, collaboration and lifelong learning. You have a part to play!
For questions about the position, please contact Paul Sars, Chair selection committee at [email protected] or 06 53 76 23 99. Alternatively, you can contact Prof. Dr. Maarten Depourcq, Professor of European Literature, [email protected] or (31) 24 361 28 48.
We want to get the best out of science, others and ourselves. Why? Because this is what the world around us desperately needs. Leading research and education make an indispensable contribution to a healthy, free world with equal opportunities for all.
You have a part to play!
Apply for this job
Apply for this job
This application process is managed by the employer (Radboud University). Please contact the employer for questions regarding your application.
Apply for this job via the employer’s website
Thank you for applying
Please contact the employer for questions regarding your application.
Tip: save this job as favorite in your AcademicTransfer account. This gives you an immediate overview and makes it easy to find the job later on. No account yet? Create it now and take advantage of other useful functionalities too!
Back to the vacancy
You can apply until 12 March 2023, exclusively using the button below. Kindly address your application to Paul Sars. Please fill in the application form and attach the following documents:
- A letter of motivation.
- Your CV.
You would preferably begin employment on 1 September. The first round of interviews will take place on Friday 24 March. The second round of interviews will taken place on Friday 14 April.
We can imagine you’re curious about our application procedure . It offers a rough outline of what you can expect during the application process, how we handle your personal data and how we deal with internal and external candidates.
View or Apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email – cover/motivation letter where (tendersglobal.net) you saw this job posting.