United Nations Development Programme
The Gender Equality Specialist will play a key role to promote women’s leadership and effective implementation of the Women peace and security agenda in Burkina Faso.
With a dual/matrixed reporting to the Head of the Resident Coordinator Office and to the UN Women Regional Director, the Gender Equality Specialist will support the development and strengthening of a strategic vision for gender mainstreaming for UN joint programming and provide coordination and technical and policy advisory support on women’s rights and gender equality to the Resident Coordinator (RC) and the UNCT. The Gender Specialist works in close collaboration with UN staff and UN agencies, government officials, technical advisors and experts, multi- and bi-lateral donors and civil society. This function is part of UN Development Coordination Office’s (DCO) efforts, in collaboration with UN Women, to ensure senior level gender expertise and coordination support is available to the UNCT, in order to support coherent gender mainstreaming efforts and progress on gender equality across the SDGs and in alignment with national priorities nexus.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Provide guidance and coordinate with gender equality and women’s empowerment (GEWE) as a guiding principle during the development and implementation of the Cooperation framework (including the development of the Roadmap, CCA and UNIDAP):
- Substantially support the development of a rigorous gender analysis in the Common Country Analysis (CCA) to explain immediate, underlying and root causes of gender inequalities and gender-based discrimination, and differentiated impacts (including through an appreciation of social, legal, political, economic and cultural dynamics that underpin gender inequality);
- Review and provide technical guidance and inputs to each step of the United Nations Interim Development Action Plan (UNIDAP) for Burkina Faso to ensure the integration of gender equality considerations: Strategic prioritization, results matrix, joint programmes, monitoring and evaluation;
- Provide technical guidance and coordinate the UNCT to strengthen monitoring and reporting on GEWE in the context of the Cooperation Framework;
- Coordinate the preparation of analytical and regular progress reports on gender index through UN Info;
- Provide technical guidance and advice to the RC, UNCT, development partners and national counterparts on implementation of key UN frameworks and conventions on gender equality;
- Provide technical advice to the RC and UNCT for national GEWE policy and legal framework development and monitoring.
Coordinate the fostering coherent inter-agency planning, analysis and action for enhanced accountability to GEWE:
- Coordinate the provision of technical advice to Resident Coordinator Office (RCO) and the UNCT on the gender dynamics and opportunities to support inclusive engagement of women in the development assistance provided by the UNCT;
- Coordinate with the UNCT on improved accountability tools to ensure the UN’s commitments to gender equality and women’s empowerment are tracked and up-scaled as opportunities arise : coordinate the UNCT-SWAP Gender Equality Scorecard exercise and implementation of its Action Plan, and provide coordination and technical advisory support to the application of the UNCT Gender Equality Marker;
- Develop, adapt and/or provide tools and training/orientation on gender equality and Humanitarian Action to the RCO, UNCT, UN Women partners and humanitarian actors to enhance skills and knowledge of humanitarian system on gender mainstreaming in disaster preparedness, humanitarian response and early recovery;
- Provide technical inputs to joint programmes related to gender equality and empowerment of women and girls priorities highlighted in the Cooperation Framework, such as Spotlight programmes where relevant;
- Coordinate the implementation of system-wide UN strategies and frameworks at the country level, such as SG Parity Strategy and Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse (PSEA) strategy, and lead related monitoring and reporting;
- Support the development, management and coordination of surge mechanisms and services.
- Support country staff capacity development to engage in humanitarian response and recovery and in supporting system coordination and responses from a gender perspective;
- Coordinate the UNCT Gender Thematic Groups / Gender Results Groups.
Lead the design of women, peace, and security programs and the development of relevant knowledge products:
- Lead the provision of policy recommendations and guidance to strategic planning and positioning on women, peace, and security priorities;
- Manage the development of programme documents on women, peace, and security and humanitarian action
- Lead and provide advice to national bodies for effective implementation of the Women-Peace-security Agenda;
- Represent UN Women in interagency groups that influence national policies related to women, peace, and security and humanitarian action;
- Contribute substantively and lead existing thematic and gender equality networks to better connect UN Women and partners;
- Lead the research, development and presentation of analytical reports, research papers, briefing notes, background papers, summaries, correspondence and talking points on women, peace, and security and humanitarian action;
- Identify promising practices, technical expertise, and strategic opportunities.
Provide technical support to strategic partnerships building and resource mobilization:
- Provide technical and substantive inputs to partnerships and joint resource mobilization strategies related to GEWE and the UNIDAP;
- liaise with key stakeholders from Government, academia, civil society, the private sector and key international actors to build and strengthen strategic alliances and partnerships on women’s rights and gender equality initiatives as needed
- Coordinate, and review the development of interagency briefs on possible areas of GEWE cooperation, including identification of opportunities for cost sharing.
- Provide coordination support to GEWE intergovernmental and normative work with UNCT and national partners
- Coordinate initiatives related to the Commission on the Status of Women, including contributions to relevant global/regional reports and background documents;
- Provide technical support gender related SDG consultations;
- Facilitate regular review of the progress on implementation of the Beijing Platform for Action;
- Coordinate CEDAW, Voluntary National Review and Universal Periodic Review reporting on gender equality and women’s empowerment;
- Engage with women’s Civil Society Organisations with respect to the above.
Coordinate and advise the RC and UNCT in the analysis and monitoring of trends, opportunities and challenges around gender equality and women’s empowerment:
- Provide technical inputs to research and analysis of the political, social, and economic situation in the region related to the programming and normative areas of gender equality, including supporting the development of Country Gender Equality Briefs/Profiles;
- Coordinate accountability in policy dialogues around gender equality and the empowerment of women;
- Provide analysis and guidance to the RC and the UNCT on key gender issues and opportunities to support women engaging in and benefitting from the assistance provided by the UNCT;
- Advise and lead on entry points for new initiatives for the UN Systems to strengthen capacities for gender equality and to support the advancement of women’s empowerment and gender equality.
Coordinate interagency advocacy and facilitation of knowledge building and management:
- Coordinate interagency efforts to establish advocacy networks and linkages to international networks related to gender equality, women’s empowerment; including those relating to reconciliation and humanitarian support;
- Develop capacity development initiatives on gender-related issues and priorities as needed;
- Provide technical inputs to the development of interagency advocacy strategies and their implementation;
- Oversee the process of identifying and synthesizing best practices and lessons learnt and contribute to their dissemination.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Advanced university degree in the social sciences (i.e. sociology, demography, psychology, political science and economics), public policy or international development. A specialization in gender is a strong asset.
- A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying work experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- At least seven years of progressively responsible relevant work experience/ demonstrated track record that combines intellectual, strategic and managerial leadership in development programs. At least 4 years of which should include having undertaken and led substantive programming and research/analysis on gender and development in key issue areas;
- Experience in working in emergency and crisis/conflict contexts is desired;
- Experience with UN joint programming development and implementation in the area of gender equality and women’s empowerment;
- Experience working in West Africa is desired,
- Experience in UN coordination and joint advocacy and/or programming is required; and
- Experience in building and maintaining effective relationships with government institutions, CSOs and donors is desirable.
- Fluency in English and French is required
Recommend your friend
To help us track our recruitment effort, please specify on the application form/indicate in your cover letter where (tendersglobal.net) you saw this job posting.
Bürokauffrau Call Center (m/w/d)ARWA PersonaldienstleistungenJena, ThüringenJena, Thüringen
Embedded Software Engineer – Medical Devices Start-UpNewton Colmore ConsultingCambridgeCambridge
IT Support AnalystTravis PerkinsNorthamptonNorthampton
Kundenbetreuer (w/m/d) Sales / Service 1&1Cho-TimeOberhausen, Nordrhein-WestfalenOberhausen, Nordrhein-Westfalen