Heartland Alliance International
Position Title: Gender Technical Coordinator
Reports To: Project Manager
Application Closing Date: 12 Feb 2023
About Heartland Alliance International
Heartland Alliance International’s (HAI) mission is to secure the rights and well-being of marginalized people and communities. HAI envisions a world in which those whose rights have been violated are safe and empowered to actively engage in their communities and be at the forefront of social change. In Iraq, HAI provides holistic services focusing on psychosocial support, legal aid, violence prevention, livelihoods strengthening, and social cohesion to diverse vulnerable populations.
The Gender Technical Coordinator will serve as the technical focal point for gender and GBV focused programming In Iraq. Additionally, the Gender Technical Coordinator will provide focused support to the Women Initiatives for Brighter Future project, which will be implemented in Sulaymaniyah/Kurdistan Region of Iraq, Chamchamal District and Arbat Camp and in Kirkuk/Iraq. The project will target Iraqi Displaced Persons (IDPs), returnees, Syrian refugees and vulnerable host community. The project activities are designed to be implemented in collaboration with the pre-established women associations in Sulaimaniyah, Chamchamal District and Arbat Refugees Camps. Through this project, HAI will also establish a new Women’s Association in Kirkuk. The Gender Technical Coordinator is the main technical staff supporting the Project Manager, and HAI Iraq’s GBV teams. Her main responsibility is to ensure that project activities are in line with international guidelines and best practices in GBV. In coordination with the Project Manager, she will conduct capacity-building sessions for the benefit of the project staff (both Brighter Future and other HAI projects) in order to improve their knowledge and skills on topics related to GBV. Furthermore, she will assess and report on the GBV-related gaps and needs of the target populations to inform project activities and strengthening advocacy.
The Gender Technical Coordinator carries out regular field monitoring visits and provides support tools to monitor the quality of project activities. She supports the Project Manager in developing complaints and feedback mechanisms for participants to ensure that complaints are properly handled.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
With reference to the project activities, the Gender Technical Coordinator:
· · Guides the development and implementation of an Iraq GBV strategy and programming including the development of tools, technical protocols, and guidelines.
· Contributes to program development and proposal writing for funding opportunities with a GBV or gender equity component
· Leads the internal technical GBV working group at HAI-Iraq.
· Provides regular monthly individual and group technical supervision sessions to support staff and ensure high program quality (remotely and in person)
– Supports the Project Manager in planning, supervising, and implementing the GBV component of protection activities;
· In collaboration with the Project Manager, provide technical guidance and advice to the technical staff, ensuring that specific GBV components of the project are delivered according to line with international standards and principles;
· Drafting internal guidelines related to the GBV sector.
- Contributes to the design of protection response mechanisms including GBV response, referrals and emergency cash assistance and deliver the training to the women associations based in Kirkuk and Sulaimaniyah.
· In coordination with the MHPSS Director and the Iraq Legal Coordinator, update MHPSS, GBV Case Management, and legal assessment tool.
· Provides technical support and assistance to the implementation of the GBV project component;
· Delivers training (directly or indirectly) and workshops to project staff and build their skills on GBV-related topics;
· Supports the Project Manager to deliver training and workshops to non-protection staff to build their skills and knowledge of gender and GBV-related principles and enable them to mainstream gender components in their specific sectors of expertise;
· In coordination with the project manager, contributes to assessing GBV needs and gaps of target populations in the project locations and inform the ongoing and future program accordingly;
· Provide evidence base analysis on the occasion of coordination round tables with relevant project stakeholders;
· Ensures that sensitive protection data are gathered, stored, archived, processed, analyzed, and disseminated in an ethical way, in line with the internal Data Protection Assessment (DPA);
· In coordination with the Project Manager, undertakes regular monitoring visits and develops tools to monitor the quality of activities implementation;
· Identifies opportunities for new GBV interventions and support in assessments and development of new GBV-related project proposals
· Supports the Project Manager in the development of complaints mechanisms for target communities, ensuring that complaints are properly addressed
· Attends sectorial clusters ensuring alignment of the intervention with the national strategy in the protection and GBV sectors; shares periodical updates with the Project Manager and project staff on the occasion of the Project reviews meetings;
· Supports the Project Manager in ensuring coordination with relevant governmental stakeholders and main actors of the project;
· Attends Donors’ monitoring visits, and provide technical support on their occasion;
· Provides inputs for new needs assessment;
· Coordinate the mobile unit staff assigning specific tasks and objectives to ensure the achievement of the expected result of the project;
· Contributes to the selection and training schedule of the project staff;
· Performs periodic staff evaluations.
· Ensures compliance with the Safeguarding Policies and full implementation of safeguarding measures within his/her area of responsibility throughout the project’s activities;
· Ensures the development of adequate tools for communicating with children/adults at risk and communities on safeguarding risks and safeguarding concerns reporting mechanisms.
· Other duties, as assigned by the Project Manager
Personal Competencies: Collaborative spirit and ability to work independently as well as in a team; commitment to knowledge sharing and teamwork; positive attitude and ability to see through challenges to find solutions; and strong interpersonal skills and an ability to clearly communicate, including complex concepts into layperson language.
Resilience: This project will address sensitive issues. Interested applicants should have a strong commitment to addressing the issues with cultural sensitivity, respect, and confidentiality. Candidates should be flexible, have a sense of humor and patience.
Qualifications & Preferred Skills
· BA in Social Science or related relevant fields (Psychology, Human Rights, Law, Women’s/Gender Studies, International Development);
· Minimum of 3 years of relevant working experience in gender/GBV sectors with an INGO/NNGO;
· Good technical knowledge of GBV and gender equity programming in humanitarian and development contexts;
· Past experience in developing and delivering training in GBV;
· Good reporting skills;
· Good communication skills;
· Good time management skills;
· Ability to manage a team and teamwork skills;
· Capacity to work under stress and manage priorities;
· Fluency in English, and good understanding for Kurdish and Arabic
English Proficiency Level Required: Advanced
Arabic and Kurdish: Able to understand and communicate
1) Proficiency in Microsoft Office, (2) Internet Explorer or Google Chrome, (3) Outlook/Exchange; (4) Windows operating systems;
Competencies required for the job
(1) Communication, (2) Leadership, (3) Planning and organization, (4) Problem Solving, (5) Teamwork, (6) Professionalism , (7) Emotional Intelligence, (8) Cultural Intelligence
- Must be able and willing to live in Iraq with regular travel around the Kurdistan Region and possible travel to other countries in the MENA region;
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit; use hands to handle or feel and reach with hands and arms.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
- Must be able to work full-time (8 hours a day, ending as late as 19:00 to overlap with working hours in US-Chicago) as well as extended hours when needed (nights, weekends);
- Must be able to travel independently to carry out field assessments, to identify potential partner organizations, to determine beneficiary needs and to develop program proposals and budgets for funding.
How To Apply
Please send a cover letter (1 page maximum) explaining your interest and how your experience meets the qualifications required and a CV, to
Incomplete applications will not be considered. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. If you do not hear back from us within 2 weeks, please consider your application unsuccessful.
Heartland Alliance makes all hiring and employment decisions without regard to race, creed, color, age, gender, gender identity, marital or parental status, religion, ancestry, national origin, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, sexual identity, immigrant status, political affiliation or belief, ex-offender status (depending on the offense and position to be filled), unfavorable military discharge, membership in an organization whose primary purpose is the protection of civil rights or improvement of living conditions and human relations, or HIV infection, in accord with the Organization’s AIDS Policy Statement of September, 1987. Individuals with disabilities requiring accommodation should contact the Human Resources and Administration Office at (312) 660-1431
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email/cover letter where (tendersglobal.net) you saw this job posting.