University of Kansas
The KU Student Housing Graphic Designer serves as a full-time graphic designer, web designer, and photographer to create print and digital materials for a variety of projects, with strong attention to detail, experience with various types of media, and the ability to work in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
This position assists with production of all Student Housing-related materials, making use of the university’s institutional brand with printed and digital materials, photography, and overseeing identity compliance. This position ensures that the work produced by KU Student Housing is innovative and effective for a broad range of print and digital media. Primary focus is on high-impact, high-visibility projects which serve the needs of prospective and current residents of KU Student Housing, their families, and other KU Student Housing and university staff members.
This position requires exceptional creativity in developing strong visual solutions for messaging in projects such as advertising, booklets, brochures, cards, fliers, posters, invitations, postcards, websites, signs, banners, social media, and e-mail communication. Most work is performed at the KU Student Housing Office; however, participation in field photography, video shoots, social media campaigns, production research, meetings, workgroups, and training may require presence elsewhere on campus. Although this is primarily an on-site job, there is a potential for some remote work to be negotiated after the six-month probationary period.
KU Student Housing provides accommodations for more than 5,000 students on the KU campus in residence halls, apartments, and cooperative houses known as scholarship halls. We seek to understand and affirm all identities we serve to develop a culture where individuals challenge assumptions and engage in open discourse. Through representative staff and equitable policies, we serve the evolving needs of our diverse communities.
If you are looking for a rewarding and dynamic career, look no further than the University of Kansas. In addition to a competitive salary, KU offers great benefits to employees with up to 176 hours of paid vacation per year, 96 hours of sick leave earned per year, 9 paid holidays plus one discretionary day, a great retirement program, medical and dental insurance, life and disability insurance, other benefit plan options and state of Kansas discounts offered by various vendors. KU also offers employees educational opportunities for employees. KU is a great place to work!
About Lawrence, KS
The University of Kansas is located in Lawrence, a community of about 95,000. Only 35 miles west of Kansas City and 20 miles east of Topeka, you will never be far from barbecue, jazz, museum culture, and more. Lawrence has a lively downtown and a thriving arts and music scene, and its local government has enacted ordinances supporting equality for all members of its population. Lawrence locals covet the numerous sports and recreational opportunities, local shops, and a wide range of locally-owned restaurants.
60% Creative Planning and Design
- Creates materials and content to meet the unit’s strategic goals by making use of a range of media (print, digital, video, interactive, etc.), various methods, techniques, and equipment.
- Creates and refines original designs and imagery for use in campaigns, booklets, brochures, promotional materials, banners, sportswear, invitations, website, e-mail, and other communications tools from initial concepts/drafts to the finished product.
- Consults with other project team members to refine project ideas before production.
- Gathers all necessary information required for production of thorough and complete artwork and maintains files for artwork output.
- Work includes adhering to necessary postal requirements, seeking bids and choosing vendors, transmitting files to printers, troubleshooting any production issues.
20% Project Management and Consulting
- Determines stylistic direction for projects and campaigns based on client objectives, maintaining the university brand while meeting Student Housing goals, and taking advantage of vendor services/strengths to ensure high-quality product/outcomes.
- This involves articulating KU identity guidelines; photo/video selection and editing, including planning, directing, and executing photo/video shoots; and taking regular meetings with internal Student Housing staff, student leaders, and appropriate vendors to determine required goals and outcomes per project.
- Assists and/or presents work drafts to clients and indicates how the solutions and ideas meet the requirements of the project or assignment.
- Contributes to an atmosphere which nurtures creativity and innovative design.
- Maintains a very high quality of output to an agreed time and budget.
- Checks project artwork for completeness and assures adherence to brand standards.
- Makes all edits/corrections promptly and correctly.
- Ensures the quality and accuracy of files that are created or sent to vendors.
20% Other Related Duties
- Maintains appropriate records of creative assets (via FileMaker Pro and Adobe Creative Cloud) and filing systems as necessary for effective management and oversight of publications and project jobs.
- Updates and briefs Marketing Team staff weekly via a project status report.
- Tracks production and delivery of finished project and maintains files of creative assets produced in unit.
- Archives files and maintains server organization.
- Professional development
- May include training and conferences, online research and learning, and other activities as they arise.
- Completes special projects as assigned by supervisor and senior KU Student Housing staff.
- Hire, train, mentor, and supervise student or intern staff in marketing/design/photography.
Contact Information to Applicants
Ranjit Arab, [email protected]
Additional Candidate Instruction
A complete online application includes:
- Cover letter addressing how you meet the required and preferred qualifications.
- Contact information for three professional references (including at least one previous or current supervisor).
- A link to your online portfolio with graphic design samples such as brochures, videos, post cards, ads, fliers, etc.
Only complete applications will be considered.
Application review begins Monday, April 10, 2023 and continues until a pool of qualified applicants is identified.
Advertised Salary Range
Minimum $47,500, final determination commensurate with experience
Application Review Begins
Anticipated Start Date
University of Kansas Lawrence Campus
U-Unclassified Professional Staff
Monday – Friday, 8am – 5pm
Conditions of Employment
Contingent on Funding
Work Location Assignment
The University of Kansas prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, national origin, age, ancestry, disability, status as a veteran, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information and retaliation in the University’s programs and activities. Access to information regarding equal opportunity and diversity worksite posters is available at http://www.humanresources.ku.edu/policies_procedures/category_details/index.aspx?category=8 or you may contact 785-864-4946 or [email protected] for alternate access options. Any inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies should be directed to: Executive Director of the Office of Institutional Opportunity and Access, [email protected], 1246 W. Campus Road, Room 153A, Lawrence, KS, 66045, (785)864-6414, 711 TTY
View or Apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email – cover/motivation letter where (tendersglobal.net) you saw this job posting.