Bamfield Marine Sciences Centre
Head Cook at the Bamfield Marine Sciences Centre
Imagine having an ocean view at work every day? The Bamfield Marine Sciences Centre is searching for a team player interested in making meaningful contributions that will support life-changing exploration and discovery in coastal and marine environments. For almost 50 years the BMSC has supported year-round education and research on the west coast of Vancouver Island, British Columbia. BMSC is owned and managed by a not-for-profit organization, the Western Canadian Universities Marine Sciences Society. The BMSC campus is on the west coast with a staff of approximately 25 people with additional staff hired seasonally. A competitive and comprehensive health and welfare benefits plan, including eligibility to join our pension plan, are currently provided to the BMSC through the University of Victoria (UVic) via an agreement the BMSC has entered as an external agency with UVic.
Job Profile: Our kitchen serves university and secondary school students on field trips, many seeing the ocean for the first time. Our clients tell us how much they relish our warm and friendly dining experience after being in the field all day. Our staff repeatedly tell us how much they value the experience of seeing these students at the BMSC. Our programs and menus are developed with sustainability in mind, and we strive to offer an array of hand-crafted items using fresh, quality ingredients. Careful thought and consideration goes into our programs, and it starts with our people.
Job Description: The head cook is responsible for the day to day supervision of kitchen staff, preparation and serving of meals. Assists in menu planning, ordering of food, food equipment and supplies, and inventory control.
- Provides direction and guidance to kitchen staff in the day to day performance of their duties
- Participates in the training and orientation of new members of kitchen staff
- Assists the Kitchen Manager with scheduling of kitchen staff and staffing decisions
- In the absence of the Kitchen Manager responds to daily issues and questions, referring issues to the Managing Director (or delegate) or Director as appropriate
- Monitors food and supply inventory and prepares weekly and daily purchase lists for review with the Kitchen Manager
- Assists the Kitchen Manager in menu planning including special diets
- Participates in the preparation, cooking, baking decoration and service of food on assigned shift
- Responsible for ensuring meals are properly prepared, served and delivered on assigned shifts
- Operates food production equipment
- Ensures kitchen staff are working safely following appropriate safety procedures
- Ensures that safe food handling and hygiene practices are being followed by all kitchen staff
- Ensures kitchen is clean and hygienic at all times
- Performs other assigned duties that are within area of knowledge and skills required by the job description
Required Skills and Abilities:
- Foodsafe Level 2 (minimum), Red Seal certification preferred
- Three years experience cooking in an institutional setting or equivalent
- Front line supervisory skills, including a demonstrated ability to coach and support staff
- Previous experience determining and maintaining required food inventory levels
- Capacity to communicate effectively with kitchen staff, staff of other departments, clients, and suppliers
- Facility to assist in the planning and the production of quality meals within budget limits
- Ability to work with or without supervision
- Willing and able to work all shifts including weekends as required.
- The position is unionized (Cupe 401) and members are entitled to benefits as defined in the Collective Agreement.
We are committed to an equitable, diverse, and inclusive campus that is accessible to all and free from harassment, bullying, and discrimination. The BMSC recognizes that diverse staff and clients benefit and enrich our workplace and the broader community. We are committed to removing barriers that have been, and continue to be, encountered by equity seeking groups, including women, Indigenous peoples, visible/racialized minorities, persons with disabilities, and LGBTQ+. We strive to recruit individuals who will further enhance our diversity and will support their professional success while they are here.
Accommodations may be available for the right candidate
Should you be interested in learning more about this unique opportunity, please forward your resume, a letter of introduction, and the names and contact information for up to three references
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $24.05-$25.37 per hour
- Dental care
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- Day shift
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Bamfield, BC: reliably commute or be willing to relocate with an employer-provided relocation package (required)
- Cooking: 3 years (preferred)
- Food Safe Level 2, SafeCheck, Food Handler or equivalent (required)
Work Location: One location
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (tendersglobal.net) you saw this job posting.