In International Cooperation, Caritas Switzerland empowers individuals and communities in approximately 20 countries worldwide, assisting them in escaping poverty and strengthening their resilience.
Caritas Switzerland is committed to the Triple Nexus (HDP) approach that integrates efforts across humanitarian, development, and peacebuilding sectors to address complex crises and promote sustainable solutions and social cohesion and to foster institutional readiness to provide emergency aid in case of a humanitarian crisis.
Caritas Switzerland is prepared to engage immediately in emergency aid through its internal mechanism: the Emergency Steering Committee. This is a rapid response mechanism which allows Caritas Switzerland to prioritize a humanitarian crisis situation beyond its daily operations. The process allows to decide on Caritas Switzerland’s engagement within 24 hours and to deploy a rapid response team from the internal emergency pool within 72 hours after the disruptive event happened in order to support the development, coordination and implementation of emergency aid projects.
The current position encompasses two closely interconnected roles: ensuring a high level of emergency preparedness and the ability to respond rapidly to humanitarian emergencies and crises as Head of Emergency Preparedness. Simultaneously, as the Knowledge Manager for Humanitarian Aid/Nexus, you ensure the enhancement of our organization’s ‘Nexus-fitness.
Your duties as ‘Head of Emergency Preparedness’ include:
- Humanitarian Crisis Monitoring: Humanitarian emergency and crisis monitoring in collaboration with the colleague responsible for Programme Support Emergency Preparedness.
- Preparedness training: Managing, fostering, and regularly training the internal and external expert pool for rapid response missions.
- Managing Emergency Steering Committees: Convening and coordinating Emergency Steering Committee meetings and preparing briefings. Internal coordination and communication between the involved sections and the Emergency Steering Committee. Implementing the Emergency Steering Committee decisions (e.g., convening and coordinating the Emergency Task Force).
- Coordination: Maintaining a presence on coordination committees within the Caritas Network at the global and European levels, as well as in the German-speaking Caritas Network (BSK: Lake of Constance Conference) and with other relevant stakeholders in Switzerland, the latter with an extensive coordinating structure for joint actions.
Your duties as ‘Knowledge Manager for Humanitarian Aid/Nexus’ include:
- Strategic Guidance: Connect sector standards and best practices with Caritas’ programs, strengthen Caritas’ strategic positioning, and define quality standards in fragile contexts and humanitarian settings. Collaborate closely with thematic Knowledge Managers specializing in Income, Climate, and Migration and operational units. Provide inputs to strengthen Caritas’ strategic positioning, enhance the corporate understanding of the Triple Nexus, and support Caritas’ core approaches in emergency/humanitarian settings.
- Training & Capacity Building: Develop Caritas-specific tools and training modules related to Humanitarian Aid/Nexus and associated response options, with a particular focus on Caritas’ core approach of Cash and Voucher Assistance (CVA). Support the onboarding of new staff members in the thematic area.
- Knowledge Management & Learning: Analyze and integrate lessons learned and insights from projects into Caritas’ knowledge management and operational work. Facilitate internal learning dialogues to foster collaborative learning.
- Supporting Consultancies: Provide support in developing Terms of Reference (ToRs) and contracts for external consultants working in the field of Humanitarian Aid/Nexus, while also ensuring the quality of their work. Establish and manage a pool of 3-5 external experts who can provide specialized support.
- Education and work expertise: Master’s degree in a relevant field or Bachelor’s degree and commensurate work experience. Relevant work experience of 5 years in the field of emergency preparedness, managing emergency relief operations, Humanitarian Aid, including practical experience abroad;
- Thematic expertise: Relevant experience Emergency Response, Security as well as in supporting and developing HDP Nexus approaches in fragile contexts; with strong competence in Cash and Voucher Assistance (CVA), Conflict-Sensitive Programme Management CSPM, remote and adaptive management approaches. Familiarity with MEAL. Willingness to acquire additional expertise in other areas.
- Communication and capacity building: Very good written and oral communication skills in English and German are required, fluency in French, Spanish considered an asset. Proven experience in designing and delivering humanitarian programs and capacity-building activities.
- Solution-oriented approach linking the vision to reality on the ground: Ability to translate technical knowledge into operational work and develop practical solutions in line with the objectives of Caritas Switzerland, based on the systemic analysis of challenges and opportunities.
- Soft skills: A team player who can also work independently. Pragmatic, flexible and service-oriented personality with assertiveness.
Your place of work will be Lucerne.
Home office is possible for up to 50% of the workload.
Starting date: As soon as possible or as agreed upon.
Caritas offers attractive working conditions and an open working atmosphere in an international field of activities. For the active development and implementation of the digital transformation, we count on employees with a digital and agile mindset who are keen to participate in processes of change.
Caritas Switzerland is known as a reputable and fair employer. Our personnel policy is designed to uphold quality, cost-effectiveness, and employee well-being.
Please be sure to indicate you saw this position on tendersglobal.net
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (tendersglobal.net) you saw this job posting.