What we are looking for
NRC is looking for a Head of Operations to join the Afghanistan mission. The role holder will be responsible for maintaining and expanding access, as well as for ensuring and improving emergency response capability. The Head of Operations is also the key leader in the Afghanistan programme to engage with Sub-Regional initiatives.
If you are experienced and seasoned leader with a background in developing and integrating distinctive strategies; who holds a track record of fostering a collaborative environment and building and leading engaging and effective teams; with strong interpersonal, networking, and stakeholder management skills and able collaborate with others while building sound, constructive relationships; as well as the dexterity to meet new challenges and navigate through insecure environments, then this is the role for you!
What you will do
- Strategy, including sub-regional strategy, development and implementation.
- Results and compliance responsibility.
- Safety and security oversight.
- Programme implementation, according to budgets and standards, including Project Cycle Management.
- People leadership.
- Stakeholder management.
- Budget development, and budget monitoring and reporting.
- Access strategy development, access improvement, and restrictions management. Management of the Access Working Group Co-Lead.
- Emergency preparedness and response.
- Change management implementation.
- We highly encourage you to learn more about the role: please review the full Job Description here.
What you will bring
- Senior management experience in a humanitarian/recovery context.
- Programmes and operations direct implementation expertise.
- High-level representation track record.
- Change management expertise.
- Risk management and compliance knowledge.
- Complex, insecure, volatile, and changing context exposure.
- Afghanistan context exposure and knowledge, pertaining to displacement and humanitarian needs will be an added advantage.
- English fluency, both written and verbal.
What makes this position attractive?
- The humanitarian situation in Afghanistan is complex, protracted, and worsening. The country recently underwent a regime change in a short space of time. The current regime has limited resources and/or systems in place to provide basic services. In addition to this, internal displacement has taken place due to conflict, climate change, and the economic crisis currently experienced in the country. Afghanistan is facing an unprecedented humanitarian crisis with a risk of systemic collapse and human catastrophe.
- This is an opportunity to contribute to the protection and assistance of vulnerable and crisis-affected women, girls, boys, and men. NRC Afghanistan is one of the leading humanitarian response agencies (particularly for Afghans forced to flee), maintaining a presence of 12 offices and over 1,000 staff in 14 provinces across the country.
- Meaningful work that responds to the diverse needs, priorities, and concerns raised by beneficiary communities. NRC Afghanistan meets immediate humanitarian needs, prevents further displacement, and contributes to durable solutions.
- Female candidates are strongly encouraged to join our work culture that empowers every employee to share ideas and take responsibility.
- Learn more about NRC’s operation in Afghanistan here.
What we offer
- Kabul, Afghanistan duty station.
- 24-month contract duration.
- 30% travel, approximately.
- Grade 11 in NRC’s Salary Scale, with accompanying terms and conditions. NRC offers a competitive compensation and benefits package.
- NRC is an equal opportunities employer and aims to have staffing diversity in terms of age, gender, ethnicity, nationality, and physical ability.
- We think outside the box, encourage ideas, and give responsibility to all employees at all levels. You will have many opportunities to be heard and take the initiative.
- Find out more about the benefits of working for NRC.
The full Job Description, and additional information, can be found on our website.
How to apply
In order to view the Job Description, and to apply, please click here.