UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, a connected world.
The overarching strategic goal of UNICEF’s Information and Communication Technology Division (ICTD) is to transform and build partnerships with our stakeholders to successfully implement UNICEF programmes globally through innovative technology-enabled solutions.
The Help Desk Associate delivers first-level ICT support for digital workplace tools and peripheral systems to restore and maintain function, settle new staff and consultant arrivals, coordinate shared space utilization, and support virtual events.
The Help Desk Associate is expected to respond and support the provisioning of hardware and software, troubleshooting related glitches and ensuring compliance with all ICTD processes and policies throughout the hardware assets’ lifecycle.
This position reports to the ICT Specialist (Release Management) at the P-3 level.
How can you make a difference?
The Help Desk Associate:
- Is the primary focal point for the resolution of digital workplace tools and IT incidents.
- Fulfills local service requests.
- Conducts, moves, and changes with respect to new staff arrivals and relocation.
- Collaborates with the UNGSC to manage shared space and meeting requirements on behalf of UNICEF.
- Supports video conferencing and other virtual events as required.
- Manages IT assets for the local office.
The Help Desk Associate must perform multiple functions effectively and simultaneously. Duties may vary to support Valencia office’s evolving needs, but core responsibilities include the following:
1. Manage Support Requests and Resolve Technical Issues
- Respond to user queries and manage service and support requests that come through a range of networks, such as service management systems, email, chat, telephone, or in person.
- Provide Tier 1 technical support for IT systems, client hardware and software. Following agreed procedures, identify, register and categorize incidents. Gather information to enable incident resolution and dispatch incidents tickets to Tier 2 support as required. Ensure timely closure of incident tickets to maximize customer satisfaction.
- Report incident patterns and assist with problem solving by diagnosing the problem source through discussions with users and coordination with support, operations groups and with vendors.
- Provide delivery support for local, networked, and multi-function printing.
- Provide account management support such as account creation, termination, and other identity management activities.
2. Manage Deployment of Standard Hardware and Software in the Office
- Install standard computer images and client software components for onboarding users.
- Responsible for reassignment, relocation, and reconfiguration of user computers, as well as replacement and decommission of defective hardware. Backup and transfer end-user data if required.
- Support timely deployment of new hardware and client software standards in the office following relevant ICTD release and change management procedures and guidance. Use the tools and techniques for specific areas of release and deployment activities and carry out early life support to newly deployed services.
- Support bi-directional feedback during development and early stages of product release among users, subject matter experts, release and change unit.
3. Manage Support to Office’s Voice and Video Conferencing Services
- Support day-to-day operations and administration of office’s unified communication services.
- Liaise with subject matter experts to plan and deploy technological enhancement, configuration changes, systems updates and patches.
- Monitor availability and performance to ensure optimal use of telephony and video conferencing services in the office. Produce performance and usage reports as required.
- Provide 1st level support to address issues related to voice and video conferencing services. Assist users with setup of ICT equipment in conference facilities, scheduling and supporting services during office’s critical meetings, webinars, and live events as required.
- Assist with procurement of mobile devices and track their distribution to staff in the office’s asset inventory. Support users with the basic configuration or mandatory OS updates of mobile devices.
- Handle user billing process for telephony and mobile services. Keep track of invoice records and remind users of the payment deadline.
4. Manage ICT Asset Inventory
- Liaise with office asset management focal point to ensure that owned or leased office IT assets are properly documented and maintained in the office IT asset inventory in accordance with office procedural requirements.
- Ensure receipt of new hardware, print and tag IT devices, and initiate the asset tracking process in the office asset inventory system. Maintain records of provisioned devices.
- Produce hardware inventory reports for client computers for the Property Survey Board and assist with the decommission process.
5. Other Duties
- Coordinate IT training, awareness, or tutoring sessions for users in the office.
- Maintain procedures and knowledge database of the Help Desk unit.
To qualify as a champion for every child you will have…
• Completion of secondary degree (High School Diploma or equivalent) is required.
• Completion of courses or certifications, such as CompTIA, ITIL Foundation, and MCSA will be considered an advantage.
• A minimum of 6 years of relevant work experience in the area of information technology is required, including:
- Previous experience in IT Customer Support and Services, including use of systematic methods of troubleshooting and analytical problem solving, service desk applications and diagnostic tools.
- Knowledge or hands-on experience of various computer platforms and applications, such as Windows 10, Microsoft Office product suites, ServiceNow or equivalent applications, Office 365, IP Telephony voice and video conferencing services and collaboration, and mobile devices platforms (iOS and Android).
• Candidates who enjoy working with clients and show a high understanding of customer needs, a service-oriented approach, flexible mindset, and willingness for continuous learning will be regarded as highly noteworthy candidates.
• Work experience in development organizations with multi-cultural and diverse environments is desirable.
• Fluency in English is required.
• Knowledge of another official UN language (Spanish, French, Arabic, Chinese or Russian) is an asset.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s Core Values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, Accountability and Sustainability (CRITAS) underpin everything we do and how we do it. Get acquainted with Our Values Charter: https://uni.cf/UNICEFValues
As an advocate for every child, you will receive:
- A competitive salary that is tax-exempted in Spain
- You can access here the UN Salary Scale for Spain and here a salary calculator for simulation. (Medical insurance and pension premiums will be deducted from net salary).
- Holidays and leave, including 2.5 days of annual leave accrual per month
- Paid parental leave
- Dependency allowance
- United Nations-sponsored medical insurance plan, pension plan, and optional life insurance plan
- Access to professional development and learning programs, online learning, and learning path
- Access to staff well-being and career development support
We offer a wide range of benefits to our staff, including breastfeeding breaks and reasonable accommodation for persons with disabilities. UNICEF strongly encourages the use of flexible working arrangements.
Please visit the Compensation and Benefits site on UNICEF Career page for more information.
UNICEF competencies required for this post are…
(1) Builds and maintains partnerships (2) Demonstrates self-awareness and ethical awareness (3) Drive to achieve results for impact (4) Innovates and embraces change (5) Manages ambiguity and complexity (6) Thinks and acts strategically (7) Works collaboratively with others. During the recruitment process, we test candidates following the competency framework. Familiarize yourself with our competency framework and its different levels:
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization. Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Candidates must be nationals of EU countries or in possession of a valid work permit. Please note that General Service (GS) staff are locally recruited staff and candidates are personally responsible for any travel and accommodation arrangements.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
UNICEF appointments are subject to medical clearance. Appointments may also be subject to inoculation (vaccination) requirements, including against SARS-CoV-2 (COVID). Government employees that are considered for employment with UNICEF are normally required to resign from their government before taking up an assignment with UNICEF. UNICEF reserves the right to withdraw an offer of appointment, without compensation, if a visa or medical clearance is not obtained, or necessary inoculation requirements are not met, within a reasonable period for any reason.
To help us track our recruitment effort, please specify on the application form/indicate in your cover letter where (tendersglobal.net) you saw this job posting.