Danish Refugee Council (DRC)
The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunities for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfillment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956 and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced.
All of our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, and honesty and transparency.
In 2003, following the start of foreign military operations in Iraq, DRC became one of the first organisations to provide humanitarian assistance in the country and now operates in 11 governorates, including Anbar, Baghdad, Babel, Diyala, Duhok, Erbil, Karbala, Kirkuk, Najaf, Ninewa and Salah-al-Din.
Overall purpose of the role:
The Humanitarian Mine Action Team Lead – EOD Specialist is responsible for the technical oversight and site supervision DRC HDP Humanitarian Mine Action (HMA) activities. The HMA Deputy Team Leader– EOD Lead will conduct planning and execution of survey / BAC and EOD/IEDD tasks supported by line management and Search Specialist/Administrative Lead. This includes technical planning, implementation, render safe procedures, and disposal operations.
- Execution of survey/BAC /EOD/IEDD tasks assigned by Line Management
- Conduct survey/ BAC/ EOD/IEDD in accordance with DRC HDP Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) in consultation with Technical Field Manager.
- In charge of the technical safety of all staff and visitors on the task site.
- Ensure conformity to all DRC HDP SOPs.
- Responsible for the technical deployment of HMA Team Members on the task site.
- Provides technical reporting of all UXO/AXO/and IED on task site
- Ensure that all infringements of DRC HDP SOPs are corrected instantly, and reported to line management, however minor they may seem.
Logistics and Warehouse Management
- Provide technical management of any broken, faulty or missing equipment to Search Specialist/Administrative Lead immediately on observation to your line management for servicing or re-supply.
- Have overall operational control of the team at the site in coordination with the HMA Team Lead
- Promote strong work ethics within the team.
- Ensure high standards of conduct are promoted and that DRC’s Code of Conduct is adhered to.
- Be respectful to your colleagues, line managers, other DRC staff and beneficiaries.
- Report the following information to your line management as it applies; technical issues related to Render Safe Procedures, discovery of UXO/AXO/and IEDs.
- The duty station is Mosul and the HMA TL may expect to spend long days in the field, in varying weather conditions, to conduct her/his work as described.
- The HMA TL is expected to conduct her/his work in a loyal and efficient manner.
- The HMA TL is expected to show initiative and commitment to the goals and objectives of the DRC HDP effort and Humanitarian Mine Action in general.
Experience and technical competencies:
- 5+ years of Mine Action experience
- An understanding of INGO terminology and processes.
- Fluency in spoken and written Arabic and ability to understand, speak and write English
- Excellent IT skills; Microsoft Word, Excel and report writing.
- Team player.
- An understanding and commitment to DRC aims and values.
- Basic Care Provider training (Basic First Aid)
- Driving license for car
Education: (include certificates, licenses etc.)
Iraq EOD Level 4 certification from Basmaya.
- Arabic (Fluent)
- English (Desirable)
Key stakeholders: (internal and external)
- Search Specialist/Administrative Lead
- Technical Field Manager
- Operations Manager
- HMA Specialist
- Area Manager
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’s five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: You uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to our values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse, and harassment
Contract Length: End of Jun 2023
Salary Band: I
Start Date: 15th of March, 2023
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for National Staff.
Diversity & Inclusion: DRC Iraq is committed to promoting an inclusive work environment according to our Age, Gender, and Diversity approach (AGD). We aim to have a more diversified leadership structure creating opportunities for qualified women to take on managerial roles. We also continuously work to make our workplace more accessible for persons with specific needs. We offer benefits related to psychosocial support, health insurance, maternity and paternity leave, child sick leave, and lactation breaks. As part of our commitment to promote equity, diversity, and inclusion, we strongly encourage applications from female candidates, persons living with disabilities, as well as representatives of minorities.
Note: Due to the urgency of this position, applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please visit drc.ngo/jobsupport
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo
Apply for job
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (tendersglobal.net) you saw this internship posting.