About Light for the World
Light for the World is a global development organisation. We empower people with disabilities and enable eye health services in low-income countries. Over the last three decades we improved health systems, enabled education for all, and amplified the voices of people with disabilities.
Our programmes include:
- Eye Health – preventing blindness and promoting eye health for all.
- Inclusive Education – ensuring children with disabilities receive quality, inclusive education.
- Inclusive Economic Empowerment – ensuring that barriers are removed for men and women with disabilities to access decent work and business opportunities.
We focus on the poorest and hardest to reach because that’s where we will have the biggest impact. In Kenya, our country strategy for the year 2021-2025 focuses on Inclusive Economic Empowerment, and disability inclusion. We do this using the twin track approach of capacity building of persons with disabilities, and building system strengthening so that barriers for employment and entrepreneurship are removed.
We are seeking for a candidate for the position of InBusiness Programme Manager Light for the World, Kenya Country Office. The entry date for the position is January 2024.
Reporting to the Head of Programmes, the primary purpose of the role is to manage the design, planning, implementation, reporting, and coordination of the Inclusive Business programs for Light for the World, Kenya Country Office.
Program /Project management
- Coordinate planning, implementation and coordination, monitoring, and evaluation of Inclusive business programs.
- Oversee program narrative and financial reporting.
- Ensuring implementation and compliance safeguarding policy and standards in program design and implementation.
- Ensuring quality of project implementation while ensuring donor requirements and compliance are met with Light for the World quality standards.
- Coordinating the consortium partners within the Inclusive Business projects.
Program design and development
- Lead development and review of program/project proposals in line with the organizational overall strategic objectives, consortium requirements and Theory of Change of the InBusiness programs.
- Provide strategic guidance and advice for the partners on the preparation of program/project proposals and workplans focusing on complementarity, feasibility, and budget development.
Grant Contract, Financial Management, donors’ compliance, and Reporting
- Responsible in overall budget planning, and management together with grant team and ensure regular budget monitoring, proper forecasting.
- Ensure project periodic narrative and financial reports, annual, bi-annual, Annual Program Outcome Measurements, partner reports are submitted according to program/project agreements.
- Track program/project implementation are in line with the agreement and special conditions.
Monitoring and Evaluation
- Conduct periodic and regular on-site monitoring visit, supportive supervision and follow up to assist partners projects are on track/progress.
- Contribute to the development and dissemination of project learning products.
- Support Monitoring, Evaluation, Research, Learning and Adaptation (MERLA) team to document programme / projects of the partners under the role holder’s portfolio.
- Ensure development of report retro plans that informs quality and timely reporting,
- Coordinate planning, documentation and dissemination of best practices and learnings in collaboration with the MERLA and program Quality & Innovation teams.
- Support the MERLA team in the development of monitoring tools, data collection tools and MERLA frameworks.
Capacity building and technical support
- Collaborate with technical directors and experts/ Grant leads etc to ensure a quality in the project implementation.
- Identify partner capacity gaps and design capacity improvement interventions/for thematic areas.
- Support consortium partners in the preparation of detailed activity implementation plan and financial utilization according to the agreed budget.
- Provide technical support for the partners in the respective thematic areas through sharing updated information and sharing of technical documents.
- Support partner and Light for the World InBusiness Program staffs in effective execution of project activities and encourage to do monitoring and follow-up activities.
- Support talent identification and staff appraisal.
- Supporting staff development through coaching mentoring and recommending and conducting relevant trainings.
Partnership, Advocacy and networking
- Build relationships with the consortium partners, OPDS, Private and public institutions including relevant government agencies to promote inclusive business interventions.
- Participate in the different national and international meetings/forums to increase evidence-based advocacy to influence Inclusive Business policy and practices.
- Create awareness on public forums about Light for the World vision/mission, disability inclusion etc.
- Represent the country office in relevant functions as may be assigned from time to time.
- Represent Light for the World in different local/international meetings/events/Technical Working Groups/task forces/forums.
Required Skills and Qualifications
- Master’s degree in development studies, International Development, Sociology, Social Sciences, Programme Management, or related field.
- Minimum of 7 years’ project management and grant management experience in a similar INGO or recognized NGO role which explicitly involved donor-funded projects.
- Experience in having senior management responsibility in country programs.
- Excellent people skills with experience in collaborating in a diverse and dynamic team
- Extensive experience in disability inclusion and/or working with organizations of persons with disabilities.
- Strong entrepreneurship acumen and experiences working with SMEs, startups, micro-enterprises, and the informal sector.
- Experience in partnership management, including government liaisons.
- Proven effectiveness in leading and coaching professionals.
- Professional intensive experience and hands-on knowledge on broader capacity building, with excellent facilitation skills.
- Innovative and strategic thinker always ready to adapt and learn.
- Technology savvy with proficiency in the use of MS Office software packages.
- High levels of integrity and accountability.
- Commitment to Light for the World’s mandate and values.
How to apply
What we can offer as an employer:
We are offering an outstanding opportunity to bring about change through an international development organisation with strong expertise, a growing profile and a dedicated team. You find a culture of people that are open to ideas, working with you, learning from you and celebrating your milestones. A supportive management that invests in your personal development and growth, and a competent, market-based pay.
We are looking forward to receiving your application by 24 November 2023, at the latest. Please apply using through this link: InBusiness Programme Manager. A complete CV and a letter of motivation are important parts of this. Please let us know why you would like to join our team and why you consider yourself suitable.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage people with disabilities to apply for this position. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.