Aboriginal Coalition to End Homlessness Society
Term: November 8, 2022 – March 31, 2023
Position Type: Contract
Salary: $45.00/ hr.
Location: 101-736 Broughton Street
Hours: Full time, 40 hours per week.
BACKGROUND: On the front-line in downtown Victoria there is a need to increase support to those unhoused through indigenous approaches and strategies and through a trauma informed counselling lens. The ACEHS is currently operating culturally supportive housing through a model called the Dual Model of Housing Care which includes decolonized harm reduction practice and pathways to healing and recovery. There is critical need still to support those who remain unhoused and to support them within a holistic and cultural context to better meet their emotional, physical, mental, and spiritual needs.
Preference will be given to qualified candidates with Indigenous ancestry.
Required Qualifications, Skills, and Abilities:
- Holds a Registered Clinical Counsellor designation in British Columbia
- Minimum of a master’s degree in either psychology or social work
- Holds current registration with the BC Association of Clinical Counsellors
- Minimum of two years experience working with Indigenous peoples and/or community counselling
- Experience counselling young adults and adults an asset
- Preference given to applicants who have experience working with people who are unhoused
- Progressive understanding of persistent mental illness, addictions, and other challenges and how these impact people’s overall health, well-being, and quality of life
- Ability to work in a holistic, professional, and non-judgmental manner as you are working with a broad range of personalities, needs, cultures, lived experiences and abilities
- Ability to effectively respond and adjust to unexpected events, assess high risk situations, problem-solve, provide crisis intervention, and manage conflict in a culturally supportive manner
- Effective written, electronic, and verbal communication skills to facilitate interprofessional collaborative practice, healthy and culturally safe environments, and a respectful workplace for community members, staff, guests, and volunteers
- Sound understanding of the intergenerational trauma that occurs because of colonization, Residential Schools, Sixties Scoop, and other oppressive systems as well as the history of Indigenous peoples in Canada
The ACEHS values strength in diversity. As an inclusive employer that celebrates the gifts of all its staff, the ACEHS encourages members of the 2SLGBTQQIA+ community to apply.
WHO WE ARE:
We are a non-profit and registered charitable organization whose sole focus is to support Indigenous peoples experiencing homelessness with a vision to lead long-term systemic change to better meet the needs of our people living away from home and experiencing homelessness.
Established in 2016, the Aboriginal Coalition to End Homelessness is an Indigenous-led non-profit organization whose mission is to end Indigenous homelessness across Vancouver Island by lovingly providing culturally supportive housing and services. Our work is grounded in Indigenous knowledge and centers on the voices of the Indigenous Street Community who share their immediate needs, lived experiences, and thoughts on solutions. Together, these perspectives guide our path toward collective healing, health, and housing stability. Being the sole organization focused on ending Indigenous homelessness on Vancouver Island, the work of the ACEH is critical.
Interested candidates are asked to submit a resume and cover letter which highlights how your knowledge, skills and abilities will culturally support and contribute to the ACEHS and our community.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $45.00 per hour
- 8 hour shift
- Have you submitted a cove letter highlighting how your knowledge, skills, and abilities will culturally support and contribute to the ACEHS & the community we serve. If no, please do for your application to be considered.
- Master’s Degree (preferred)
- Working with Indigenous peoples and or community counselling: 2 years (preferred)
Application deadline: 2021-09-22
Expected start date: 2022-11-10
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (tendersglobal.net) you saw this job posting.