The British Council builds connections, understanding and trust between people in the UK and other countries through arts and culture, education and the English language. We work in two ways directly with individuals to transform their lives, and with governments and partners to make a bigger difference for the longer term, creating benefit for millions of people all over the world. We help young people to gain the skills, confidence and connections they are looking for to realise their potential and to participate in strong and inclusive communities. We support them to learn English, to get a high-quality education and to gain internationally recognised qualifications. Our work in arts and culture stimulates creative expression and exchange and nurtures creative enterprise. We connect the best of the UK with the world and the best of the world with the UK. These connections lead to an understanding of each other’s strengths and of the challenges and values that we share. This builds trust between people in the UK and other nations which endures even when official relations may be strained. We work on the ground in more than 100 countries. In 2019-20 we connected with 80 million people directly and with 791 million overall, including online and through our broadcasts and publications.
Intern – Facilities Support
The British Council would like to offer fresh graduates an experiential learning opportunity to gain real world experience through an internship programme. The practical experience an intern gains is expected to complement the theoretical knowledge he/she has gained during their studies. The intern is expected to both learn from and contribute to the workplace during the internship period, in turn providing an opportunity to increase employability skills. An outcome being that students and graduates are more employable and successful because of the skills they acquire.
Duties and Responsibilities
With the support of the Facilities Manager, the intern duties will include:
Facilities Services and Premises Project Delivery:
- Assist Facilities Team in-country to manage the Lagos facilities/estate effectively and efficiently as defined in the Regional and Country Delivery Plans enabling delivery of all key sectors of the British Council Programme.
- Responsibility for the pro-active maintenance management of Lagos office and compound undertaking daily checks on facilities and equipment to ensure operational efficiency and effectiveness.
- Maintain the office and estate by ensuring security and optimum delivery of customer care services in Facilities Unit.
- Responsible for day-to-day coordination of all facilities services and project activities for the Facilities team, ensuring relevant and necessary report to the Facilities Manager
- Where appropriate, assists the Facilities with the coordination of other facilities and building improvement activities and liaise with relevant internal and external stakeholders and staff to ensure effective conclusion.
- And any other tasks as directed by relevant team leads.
Provides logistic supports to visitors coming to Lagos.
- Effective planning and management of vehicles and drivers to ensure optimum transport support for British Council operations
Management and Support for the role:
- The intern will report to the Facilities Manager based in Lagos. S/he will be expected to work closely with other members of Staffin Lagos and key internal stakeholders such as the Country Facilities team
Profile of Intern:
Essential: The ideal candidate should:
- Graduate level education in related field
- Maximum of 4 years post-NYSC in any field of study.
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to multitask.
- Have fluency in written and spoken English.
- Be computer literate with proficiency in the use of MS Word, MS Excel and PowerPoint.
- Have an interest in Facilities management
Duration: 12 months
Remuneration and benefits:
- The intern will be paid equivalent N170,000 gross per month
- Health Insurance (HMO) will be provided for interns who are on 6 months or more
- Group Life Insurance will be provided for all interns during throughout the duration of their internship.
Contract Type Locally Engaged
This is a short-term intern position; intern roles are not a prelude to longer term employment with the organisation. If opportunities for further paid employment arise, these will be advertised and interns who apply will be considered against the same criteria as other applicants.
Necessary adjustments will be made for staff with disability where necessary. Applicants wilth disabilities are highly encouraged to apply.
A connected and trusted UK in a more connected and trusted world.
Equality , Diversity, and Inclusion(EDI) Statement
The British Council is committed to policies and practices of equality, diversity and inclusion across everything we do. We support all staff to make sure their behaviour is consistent with this commitment. We want to address under representation and encourage applicants from under-represented groups, in particular, but not exclusively, on grounds of ethnicity and disability. All disabled applicants who meet the essential criteria are guaranteed an interview and we have Disability Confident Employer Status. We welcome discussions about specific requirements or adjustments to enable participation and engagement in our work and activities.
The British Council iscommitted to safeguarding children, young people and adults who we work with.
We believe that all children and adults everywhere in the world deserve to live in safe environments and have the right to be protected from all forms of abuse, maltreatment and exploitation as set out in article 19, UNCRC (United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child) 1989.
Appointment to positions where there is direct involvement with vulnerable groups will be dependent on thorough checks being completed; these will include qualification checks, reference checks, identity & criminal record checks in line with legal requirements and with the British Councils Safeguarding policies for Adults and Children.
If you have any problems with your application please email [email protected]
Please note: Applications to this role can only be considered when made through the Apply section of our careers website. Our ASK HR email is only to be used in case of a technical issue encountered when applying through the careers website. Emails with supporting statements and CV/Resumes sent to this email address will not be reviewed and will be deleted.
Apply for this job
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (tendersglobal.net) you saw this posting.