UNHCR - United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees
E (most hardship)
Non FamilyDanger Pay
Residential location (if applicable)
Staff Member / Affiliate Type
Regular > Regular Assignment
Remote work accepted
Target Start Date
Job Posting End Date
February 11, 2023
Standard Job Description
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
Under the overall supervision of a (Senior) IT Officer, the IT Associate provides reliable and timely IT services on the application and infrastructure of UNHCR standard IT services in the Area of Responsibility (AoR). S/he normally receives technical guidance from a (Senior) IT Officer for the Telecom/IT infrastructure in the region in which the field or emergency operation exists. In offices where there is no IT Officer, direct supervision may be exercised by the (Snr) Admin Officer as applicable in the duty station.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR¿s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
– Assist in on-site needs assessment and installation and maintenance of UNHCR Telecommunications and IT equipment.
– In consultation with the supervisor, establish the IT requirements in field operations, considering the overall IT and Telecom strategy of the region, the operational needs and the security constraints.
– Install and configure the most appropriate type of UNHCR IT and Telecommunications systems (HF, VHF, UHF, Microwave Links, Telephony, and satellite systems) to meet the field and emergency operations immediate IT needs.
– Ensure that the equipment under his/her responsibility is in good working condition, by inspecting regularly the hardware and installations. If required, arrange promptly repairs or replacement as necessary according to established procedures.
– Maintain records of the installations and repairs/replacements done and keep the supervisor fully informed on the status of the equipment.
– Provide each office, where equipment is installed, with full information for their asset management records.
– If applicable, keep a proper inventory level of all sites spares and return spare parts for repair/replacement.
– Monitor and maintain the LAN, Network Servers, Printers, LAN points, Hubs, Patch pane, etc. to prevent faults occurring.
– Add or remove users from the Network.
– Assist in the maintenance of accurate records of users and usage of the Network.
– Carry out minor hardware maintenance.
– Provide Technical Briefing/Training on the equipment to local IT resources and users, including IPs, ensuring that they are able to maintain/use the equipment.
– Assist in the development and configuration of IT and Telecom Equipment/Kits used in field operations and emergencies.
– Decide on appropriate resolution to incidents / problems.
– Escalate issues to supervisor if incident / problem cannot be resolved with scope of responsibility.
– Perform other related duties as required.
Education & Professional Work Experience
Years of Experience / Degree Level
For G6 – 3 years relevant experience with High School Diploma; or 2 years relevant work experience with Bachelor or equivalent or higher
Field(s) of Education
Certificates and/or Licenses
(Certificates and Licenses marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Relevant Job Experience
Experience relevant to the function or particularly on HF/VHF radio or IT systems, PAMA satellite systems, PABX, Cisco routers and satellite modems.
Hands-on experience with wireless and VoIP systems, electricity, generators, lightning protection an asset. Previous experience in Emergencies is an advantage.
TR-Training – Virtual and face to face
IT-Microsoft Office Productivity Software
(Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
All UNHCR workforce members must individually and collectively, contribute towards a working environment where each person feels safe, and empowered to perform their duties. This includes by demonstrating no tolerance for sexual exploitation and abuse, harassment including sexual harassment, sexism, gender inequality, discrimination and abuse of power.
As individuals and as managers, all must be proactive in preventing and responding to inappropriate conduct, support ongoing dialogue on these matters and speaking up and seeking guidance and support from relevant UNHCR resources when these issues arise.
This is a Standard Job Description for all UNHCR jobs with this job title and grade level. The Operational Context may contain additional essential and/or desirable qualifications relating to the specific operation and/or position. Any such requirements are incorporated by reference in this Job Description and will be considered for the screening, shortlisting and selection of candidates.
Desired Candidate Profile
Required languages (expected Overall ability is at least B2 level):
Occupational Safety and Health Considerations:
Nature of Position:
Living and Working Conditions:
IT-Computer Literacy, IT-Microsoft Office Productivity Software, TR-Training – Virtual and face to face
Information Technology – Other
Accountability, Analytical thinking, Client & results orientation, Commitment to continuous learning, Communication, Empowering & building trust, Innovation & creativity, Organizational awareness, Teamwork & collaboration, Technological awareness
UNHCR Salary Calculator
According to the Recruitment and Assignment Policy (RAP), the manager has the option of administrating either the eliminatory or complementary written test based on the functionality of the position.
This position doesn’t require a functional clearance
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (tendersglobal.net) you saw this job posting.