About the team/job
We are looking for a highly motivated and interdisciplinary imaging specialist to join the Advanced Light Microscopy Technology Development Team led by Timo Zimmermann.
The team is working on the development of original methods and technologies in the fields of super-resolution microscopy and cryo-fluorescence microscopy. Developments will comprise new instrumentation and fluorescence imaging approaches. The research team is affiliated with the Cell Biology and Biophysics Unit (https://www.embl.org/research/units/cell-biology-biophysics/) and located in the EMBL Imaging Centre (https://www.embl.org/about/info/imaging-centre/) at EMBL Heidelberg. Method and technology development aims ultimately at making newly developed methods also available to the wider research community as imaging services in the Imaging Centre.
As part of his research team the successful candidate will work closely with Timo Zimmermann on developing advanced light microscopy systems for specific life science applications and imaging conditions, overseeing other research projects, and managing the research laboratory. Research activities will range from novel approaches for (cryo) super-resolution microscopy to correlative light and electron microscopy, new labelling approaches as well as workflow development in sample preparation, also in close cooperation with other EMBL technology development groups.
The research team is part of the wider EMBL Imaging Centre team, an international, highly collaborative team comprising microscopy technology developers, application specialists for biological imaging and image analysis experts, as well as scientific project and service managers.
Specifically the tasks of the postholder include:
- Development, setup and operation of light microscopy systems and associated components.
- Training and supervision (and as capacity allows technical support) of team members.
- Lab management including monitoring of internal and external budgets, purchase orders, organising laboratory equipment and research reagents, lab databases, and coordinating technical and image analysis protocol availability.
- Coordination between activities of the research and the service team.
- Reporting to team leader, in frequent meetings and in written form.
and performing additional tasks as required.
- PhD in biology, biophysics, physics, physical chemistry or related disciplines. Comparable experience will also be considered.
- Relevant experience in imaging method development and an interest in biological applications of new optical technologies.
- Familiarity with image processing.
- Excellent organisational skills.
- Ability to work in a team, creatively, rigorously and independently.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Fluency in English.
You might also have
Expertise in the management of laboratory activities or projects.
Why join us
EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation with a very collegial and family friendly working environment. The remuneration package comprises a competitive salary, a comprehensive pension scheme, medical, educational and other social benefits. Excellent child care facility is available on campus.
What else you need to know
We are Europe’s flagship research laboratory for the life sciences – an intergovernmental organisation performing scientific research in disciplines including molecular biology, physics, chemistry and computer science. We are an international, innovative and interdisciplinary laboratory with more than 1800 employees from many nations, operating across six sites, in Heidelberg (HQ), Barcelona, Hinxton near Cambridge, Hamburg, Grenoble and Rome.
Our mission is to offer vital services in training scientists, students and visitors at all levels; to develop new instruments and methods in the life sciences and actively engage in technology transfer activities, and to integrate European life science research.
The working language of the institute is English.
In your online application, you will be asked to include a cover letter, CV and the contact details of 3 referees. Further information about the position can be obtained from Timo Zimmermann ([email protected]).
Interviews are planned for late October or early November 2022.
The initial contract is for a period of three years with the possibility of a fixed-term extension.
EMBL is a signatory of DORA. Find out how we implement best practices in research assessment in our recruitment processes here.