West Neighbourhood House
West Neighbourhood House, formerly St. Christopher House, is a multi-service, neighbourhood-based agency that has served the diverse communities of downtown west Toronto since 1912. The central purpose of West Neighbourhood House is to enable less-advantaged individuals, families and groups in the community to gain greater control over their lives and community.
As a part of a team of childcare workers the Lead After School Program Worker plans and implements a safe, fun, and enriching environment for children ages 6 to 12. Experience working with Children who need extra supports would be an asset.
- Plan and implement a variety of activities, games (i.e. soccer, dodge ball) , crafts and outings with the children and homework club;
- Supervise children at all times during designated program time;
- Supervise students and/or volunteers;
- Liaise with parents and school staff during program time;
- Promote healthy development of individuals and to ensure safe and healthy interactions between the children, their peers, adults and their environment. This includes creating a safe zone and ensure the program reflects the organization’s values, vision and mission.
- Education and/or equivalent experience in child development, education, community-based social work, recreation or creative arts, with knowledge of child development;
- Ability to work independently with little supervision;
- Ability to supervise a group of school age children;
- Demonstrated ability to program plan and implement age appropriate activities;
- Ability to be a role model demonstrating social skills and conflict resolution skills in a diverse setting;
- Experience with supporting children with special needs would be an asset;
- Experience working with students &/or volunteers would be an asset;
- Demonstrated understanding of teamwork and cooperation;
- Previous experience working with school-aged children would be an asset;
- Knowledge of a second language would be an asset, particularly Tamil, Chinese, or Vietnamese;
- Familiarity with the local community would be an asset.
Status: Part Time Contract (possible full days March Break and P.A. Days, as required, Contract ending June 29, 2023)
Start Date: ASAP
Hours: up to 15 hours per week (3 p.m. to 6 p.m., Monday to Friday)
Unit: Newcomer and & Family Programs
Immediate Supervisor: Team Leader, Children Youth and Families
Closing Date: Feb 4, 2023
Note: West Neighbourhood House provides accommodation during all parts of the hiring process, upon request, to applicants with disabilities. Applicants should make their needs known in advance.
How to Apply
Please reply in writing by 5:00 p.m. on the closing date to:
248 Ossington Ave.
About West Neighbourhood House
West Neighbourhood House, formerly St. Christopher House, is a multi-service, neighbourhood-based
agency that has served the diverse communities of downtown west Toronto since 1912. The central purpose
of West Neighbourhood House is to enable less-advantaged individuals, families and groups in the
community to gain greater control over their lives and community.
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email/cover letter where (tendersglobal.net) you saw this job posting.