COOPI is looking for a Head of Mission in Lebanon
The impact of ongoing economic crisis and the COVID-19 outbreak continue to aggravate the loss of jobs and livelihoods amongst refugees and host communities. Before the recent crisis, Lebanon was already the country which host the highest number of refugees per capita, influx that has put a huge burden on national resources and has significantly increased the need of humanitarian support in the country. COOPI has been implementing and leading an EU funded project in Akkar. Project with support of Lebanese and international partners and with direct involvement of Union of Municipality aims at developing and establishing a sustainable Solid Waste Management system for the municipalities involved in the action. In 2021 COOPI started also a CfW program in Tripoli and Akkar funded by AICS and will start soon an Education Project funded by AICS as well.
Description of the role
The Head of Mission (HoM) will have direct responsibility on supervision mission programs, projects and staff. He/she is responsible for the development of country strategy and business development. He/she ensures the expected results comply with COOPI and the donor’s procedures. He/she ensures the delivery of the country programs on-time, on-quality, on-budget. The HoM represents the organization in the country and is responsible of leading relations with consortia partners and main stakeholders.
- Institutional relations: He/she manages relations with the main institutional donors and with potential ones. He/she represents COOPI in the country/area by engaging in relations with institutions, NGOs, local and international organizations and partners. He/she also is responsible of the organization’s reputation in the country;
- Strategy and planning: He/she verifies and proposes to the Regional Coordinator the intervention priorities to consolidate the organization’s opportunity to be more involved in the country. He/she leads the definition of the Country Strategy and proposes the country strategy implementation plan (projects and coordination) too;
- Programme development: He/she maintains a clear understanding of donor priorities, funding trends, and strategic initiatives in the country, which are reflected in a proactive donor engagement strategy. He/she supervises planning for needs assessments. He/she coordinates the elaboration, writing and documents’ preparation for presenting new projects, referring to the Regional Coordinator and the headquarters support offices;
- Programme coordination: He/she maintains and lead the relation with international partners and local stakeholders in projects consortia, particularly EU funded SWaM program and related projects;
- Program quality: He/she coordinates and directly monitors projects, guaranteeing the correct implementation in conformity with the contractual obligations and donors’ procedures, and in line with COOPI’s procedures and management standards. He/she guarantees the integration of the highest standards of accountability to affected population, as well as gender and protection mainstreaming into all COOPI’s programs. He/she reviews projects reports and all the monitoring documents requested by the central headquarters. He/she ensures the transmission of all official and administrative project documents to the central headquarters;
- Country office management: He/she is responsible for all different aspects related to the country office management: economic and financial situation, local regulations, office organization charts, logistics, local and expatriate personnel management, in conformity with the organization’s guidelines. He/she guarantees the respect of the country’s legislation and administrative regulation;
- Staff management: He/she is responsible for the local staff management. He/she participates and supports the Regional Coordinator and the Human Resources office in the selection of the expatriate staff. He/she coordinates and monitors the country’s expatriate staff management;
- Safety: He/she is responsible for the expatriate staff security, for the correct implementation and respect of the general security rules;
- Economic and financial management: He/she is responsible for the country’s economic result. He/she supervises the financial management in collaboration with the Country Administrator and ensures – through the administrative function – that all financial reporting deadlines and donor/COOPI’s procedures are respected. He/she participates to the projects/coordination budget preparation. He/she has the signature for all COOPI’s bank accounts in the country;
- Country registration: In cooperation with the Country Administrator, maintains up to date registrations and compliance with administrative requirements in KRI and Federal Iraq;
- Visibility: He/she cooperates with the Communication and Fund-Raising office for all communication, awareness and fund raising activities implemented in and for the country.
- Advanced degree or a related field or equivalent work;
- Minimum 5 years experience in the humanitarian field and in a similar position, with a track record of success and results achieved;
- Experience of working on more among the following donors AICS, EU, ECHO, USAID and UN agencies;
- Experience of working within an insecure environment with responsibility for security planning, monitoring and management;
- Strong analytical and practical problem-solving skills;
- Strong supervisory abilities, and demonstrated capacity of teamwork and of coordination with the relevant actors;
- Very good inter-personal and writing communication skills;
- Ability to organize work efficiently and deliver assignments in a timely manner often under time constraints;
- Proficiency in written and spoken English;
- Computer literacy, with high proficiency in the use of standard office software applications (e.g. Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint);
- Valid driving license.
- Previous experience with an international humanitarian NGO in a similar context will be an asset;
- Knowledge of Arabic will be an asset.
We reserve the right to close the vacancy prior to the application closing date, once a sufficient number of applications have been received.
Please note that only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Interviews will be conducted on rolling basis and the vacancy will be closed when filled, thanks for understanding.
Cooperazione Internazionale (COOPI) is an Italian humanitarian non-governmental organization founded in Milan in 1965. For more than 50 years of long-term support and constant presence in the field, COOPI has been engaged in breaking the cycle of poverty and responding to specific emergencies in numerous sectors, including Food Security, Humanitarian Aid, Health, Socio-Economical Services, Water and Sanitation, Human Rights, Education and Training, Migrations and Sustainable Energy.
How to apply
Please send you CV and motivation letter – https://coopi.org/it/posizione-lavorativa.html?id=4661&ln=